Townsend, Tn Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by mpgris, Apr 26, 2007.

1. mpgris

mpgris
    Expand Collapse

I have read all the reviews of campgrounds and rv parks in Townsend, TN but would still like to have a little advice.

We would like to visit there this summer with our 3 and 4 yr old grandsons. Namely, I would like for them to be able to tube on a river. So, with their ages, it needs to be the safest or calmer part of the river. Does anyone know which campground would be on an area of the river that small kids would enjoy?

Leaning toward Little River, Big Meadow, or Tremont based on reviews. Does anyone have other suggestions? Also, which of these three has the larger sites?

Thanks so much for your help.

2. JWEngle

JWEngle
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(mpgris @ Apr 26 2007, 11:05 AM) [snapback]6937[/snapback]

I have read all the reviews of campgrounds and rv parks in Townsend, TN but would still like to have a little advice.

We would like to visit there this summer with our 3 and 4 yr old grandsons. Namely, I would like for them to be able to tube on a river. So, with their ages, it needs to be the safest or calmer part of the river. Does anyone know which campground would be on an area of the river that small kids would enjoy?

Leaning toward Little River, Big Meadow, or Tremont based on reviews. Does anyone have other suggestions? Also, which of these three has the larger sites?

Thanks so much for your help.

I've only stayed at Tremont and unless there's a very heavy rain I would think that would be a safe area to float. There were plenty doing that when we were there last year. I have driven by Big Meadow and it looks nice, but I haven't stayed there so can't advise you too much about river conditions. I don't think the river gets too wild around those campgrounds unless there's been some recent heavy rain. Tremont is the closest to the National Park, therefore upriver from the other two, if that helps any.

3. mpgris

mpgris
    Expand Collapse

To: JWEngle

Thanks for your help!!

4. Yorkieluvr

Yorkieluvr
    Expand Collapse

I would also recommend Tremont. We stayed there last summer and loved it (going back this year!). We toured the other parks and Tremont seemed to have the best sized spots - plenty of room between us and our neighbors. We did tube the river - only went past Tremont once and it did get a little rough, so with little ones, you're going to want to stop before going too far (there are signs to let you know where it gets faster). I got dumped out and dragged over the rocks - luckily nothing was broken, just a few bruises. The river gets shallow in spots and that's where you have to watch out for rocks. Water shoes help because they can be slippery too. I did see one fella with bloody knees - ouch. Be sure to make time for Cades Cove - lots of wildlife and beautiful scenery. Can you tell we like it there? Enjoy your trip!

5. mpgris

mpgris
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Yorkieluvr @ May 20 2007, 07:31 PM) [snapback]7093[/snapback]

I would also recommend Tremont. We stayed there last summer and loved it (going back this year!). We toured the other parks and Tremont seemed to have the best sized spots - plenty of room between us and our neighbors. We did tube the river - only went past Tremont once and it did get a little rough, so with little ones, you're going to want to stop before going too far (there are signs to let you know where it gets faster). I got dumped out and dragged over the rocks - luckily nothing was broken, just a few bruises. The river gets shallow in spots and that's where you have to watch out for rocks. Water shoes help because they can be slippery too. I did see one fella with bloody knees - ouch. Be sure to make time for Cades Cove - lots of wildlife and beautiful scenery. Can you tell we like it there? Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for your help! Although, it sounds like I probably need to stay out of the water!!