Trailer Brands....

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by onemantwokids, Feb 19, 2008.

1. onemantwokids

onemantwokids
    Expand Collapse

Okay, so we just went to a large camper show up at the Big E in Springfield MA.

We are considering selling our Shamrock Hybrid and purchasing a light weight bunkhouse trailer.

I was really leaning towards the Keystone Cougar but someone told me they were really on the bottom quality wise. We also looked at an Outback and a Forest River and one other. Honestly, we were in so many trailers that when we got home and were going over all the literature that we ended up totally confused!!

We tow with an F150 supercrew 5.4 so we are definately in the market for a light weight only as we do not want to go through having to buy a new tow vehicle.

If anyone has any suggestions or things to look out for good or bad or which brand name they prefer and why we would really appreciate the imput.

Thanks!!!

2. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(onemantwokids @ Feb 19 2008, 09:08 AM) [snapback]10313[/snapback]

If anyone has any suggestions or things to look out for good or bad or which brand name they prefer and why we would really appreciate the imput.
    Thanks!!!

Hello onemantwokids.
    I've limited information on trailers, others here may chip in with some good feedback.

Recently needed information on our rig and I Googled into a great site: www.irv2.com

Great bunch of moderators and folks from all walks of the RV and camping world. Give them a try also.

Cheers! B)

3. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(onemantwokids @ Feb 19 2008, 09:08 AM) [snapback]10313[/snapback]

Okay, so we just went to a large camper show up at the Big E in Springfield MA.

We are considering selling our Shamrock Hybrid and purchasing a light weight bunkhouse trailer.

I was really leaning towards the Keystone Cougar but someone told me they were really on the bottom quality wise. We also looked at an Outback and a Forest River and one other. Honestly, we were in so many trailers that when we got home and were going over all the literature that we ended up totally confused!!

We tow with an F150 supercrew 5.4 so we are definately in the market for a light weight only as we do not want to go through having to buy a new tow vehicle.

Thanks!!!

Hello onemantwokids,

I am not loyal to any brand name. I research and try to get best service and product that last. I don't know if there is really anything better than another. There are entry level and top of the line with most of the units out there, just depends on how much money you want to spend. You have a good tow vehicle. We pulled a 24' Prowler with a Durango for almost 7 years and the only trouble we had was the faucets all blew out and had to be replaced, under $100. We are now towing a 35' jayflight with a 3/4 ton Dodge. In 2 years the only thing we had go wrong was a s/c in the GFI and that was on it's maiden voyage, nothing since then. The jayflight is the middle of the road with Jayco, they make an Eagle, top of the line TT and the jay feather entry level. If you do your homework and look at how they are made and what they are made out of, like the cabinets, you will do fine. We shopped over a year before we found the floor plan we really liked. You will do fine, just remember to have fun shopping.

As always, just my opinion,

4. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

I have a co-worker that has a Jayco lite weight (I think it is called the Feather). Her family has had it for 3 years now. They really like it. And her 2 kids love camping in it. When new, they would sleep in it in their driveway on weekends because they couldn't wait until vacation to use it.

5. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Cheryl @ Feb 19 2008, 01:39 PM) [snapback]10319[/snapback]

I have a co-worker that has a Jayco lite weight (I think it is called the Feather). Her family has had it for 3 years now. They really like it. And her 2 kids love camping in it. When new, they would sleep in it in their driveway on weekends because they couldn't wait until vacation to use it.

The feather lite's come in several real nice floor plans, some with bunks and are actually very lite. The are also very afforadble. I like the Jayco, have had very good luck and the mfg stands behind it.

6. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

We had a Keystone Cougar for 3 years and never had any problems. I have had more problems with my higher end Newmar than I ever had with the Cougar. The Cougar is not the lowest end of the Keystone Brand, it is somewhere in the middle. I also had an Insbruck that we liked and it was also a bunkhouse. Depending on the Cougar bunkhouse you get, it might be near the GCWR that your truck is rated. I would also look at might trucks capabilities when deciding on the type trailer you are looking for . I have heard good things about the lite trailers made by Jayco, I see a lot of them around. Best of luck to you.

7. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

This question will result in many different opinions on all kinds of makes, models, and experiences. All of which may or may not answer your inquiry. Our advice is to take your time, check and compare all the makes and models before you consider any purchase. Do not settle for second best. You may find a unit that fits your needs, but may have a listed price out of your budget, but in the end, the final price maybe do able. Do not make the mistake of answering the sales person's question, "what is the monthly payment you can afford" ? At this point they will show you units below your expectations. Show up with facts and figures as to your wants and needs to eliminate this nonsense. You, and only you, should be the one who decides whether you can afford the unit. All depends on personal needs.... good luck !!!

8. lawdog

lawdog
    Expand Collapse

I don't know if there is a brand out there that you would call junk. RV's are like cars, sometime you just get a lemon. I have had 7 different RV's by 5 differnet manufacturers and never had one that I would say I would never own again. And the problems I had that would have turned me off to a certain manufacturer was a dealer service issue. I also agree with Butch, be prepared to walk away from a deal if it isn't what you want. My last camper took 3 days of walking away from the dealer until what I was willing to pay was met. I didn't ask for a a deal so outrages that it couldn't be done by no means, I knew what I had to trade and I knew the monthly payment I would settle for and I told the dealer if it can't be done, fine it just can't and I will stay with what I have.

9. TexasRee

TexasRee
    Expand Collapse

Of course, the quality can vary greatly. But, the quality that you want for a weekend now and then or a vacation is not the same quality you would want for full-time.

One of the things that you need to be concerned with is the weight of the trailer and the weight limits of the F150. Check what the truck is rated to tow before making your purchase and do not exceed that limit. Many years ago, I had similar pickup and wanted a larger 5er. Went shopping, found what I wanted. I was a newbie and did not know about weights and such. The dealer said "Oh, no problem. We can put over load springs and 8 ply tires and you will be fine" . WRONG!!!!!! When you exceed your weight limit it creates several problems. First is safety--the rating is on the truck for a reason. Another is damage to the truck. And one that lots of people don't consider---the liability that you would have in the event of an accident. If you are overloaded and have an accident, you could be in trouble.

Needless to say, after I learned a bit about weight ratings, I bought a larger truck---one that could safely handle the 5er.

Jurhee