Transportation Problems While Camping

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by mamawjudy, Sep 7, 2010.

1. mamawjudy

mamawjudy
    Expand Collapse

2. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

In some states the golf cart would not be allowed or be safe on the side of the road. I know that where we are the cars pull to the shoulder so other cars can go by faster without having to use the passing lane. I used to walk to stores but in this area it is totally unsafe. Also, in many cases it would be too far to drive a golf cart to get to a store. I think you would be much better off finding a very small car to either tow or haul on a little trailer. Another possibility is to get scooters.

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Would you consider a scooter? One of our members is an expert on this. This is her blog, and if she sees this she may reply to your post.

http://rvingtoadless.blogspot.com/

4. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

That would be me! RVing Toadless!

I have rented cars from Enterprise, they deliver the car to you. I have contemplated joining ZIPCAR (http://www.zipcar.com/) but this option only works if you are RVing in major cities, like Chicago, Seattle, Portland, New York, Minneapolis, you get the idea..... But if you do hang out in a lot of major cities, Zipcar may be a good option, I think it's a pretty low joining fee and it's a "car sharing" service.

I don't think the golf cart idea is a good one. Now, I use my scooter (electric scooter, runs on a battery), but it's only good on surface streets, can't take it on busy freeways. If you check my blog, I found the idea of the "refurbished street legal bumper cars" quite amusing! Apparently, this is popular in California!

My scooter isn't required to be licensed in my state, and I don't think most states require a license for it. Some might. On the other hand, you could buy motorcycles of 50cc. Those may or may not require a license depending on the state, but wouldn't require the motorcycle endorsement to your driver's license. But again, I wouldn't take those on the freeways. Those motorcycles can be carried on special made motorcycle carriers that go in the receiver hitch. I don't have an issue with those, I am just too chicken to tow a car!

The last option is to get one of those regular bicycles that is retrofitted with a motor so you can optionally not have to pedal. I've seen some of those.

JJ

5. mamawjudy

mamawjudy
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Sep 7 2010, 10:13 PM) [snapback]23989[/snapback]

That would be me! RVing Toadless!

I have rented cars from Enterprise, they deliver the car to you. I have contemplated joining ZIPCAR (http://www.zipcar.com/) but this option only works if you are RVing in major cities, like Chicago, Seattle, Portland, New York, Minneapolis, you get the idea..... But if you do hang out in a lot of major cities, Zipcar may be a good option, I think it's a pretty low joining fee and it's a "car sharing" service.

I don't think the golf cart idea is a good one. Now, I use my scooter (electric scooter, runs on a battery), but it's only good on surface streets, can't take it on busy freeways. If you check my blog, I found the idea of the "refurbished street legal bumper cars" quite amusing! Apparently, this is popular in California!

My scooter isn't required to be licensed in my state, and I don't think most states require a license for it. Some might. On the other hand, you could buy motorcycles of 50cc. Those may or may not require a license depending on the state, but wouldn't require the motorcycle endorsement to your driver's license. But again, I wouldn't take those on the freeways. Those motorcycles can be carried on special made motorcycle carriers that go in the receiver hitch. I don't have an issue with those, I am just too chicken to tow a car!

The last option is to get one of those regular bicycles that is retrofitted with a motor so you can optionally not have to pedal. I've seen some of those.

JJ

:)