Travel Trailer Fun!!!

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by rzbztpa, Dec 6, 2007.

1. rzbztpa

rzbztpa
    Expand Collapse

We've just purchased our first Travel Trailer(10/10/07) - a Cruiser RV "Fun Finder" 189FBS. We will admit we've had some fun so far. We'd now like to do some research, (the kind we should've done before the investment...), and possibly get better understanding of what we really like and want to travel with, and what we already purchased. Can anyone give us some advice on what we can do now that we're in the $$ hole and not exactly crazy about the Fun Finder we chose to purchase.
    We've had trouble with the 30 amp electric system to the point where we believe the lemon law may become part of the equation. The power kicked off the main so many times it got a little frustrating to say the least. It simply would not work properly and has been back to the dealer more than 3 times (under warranty, Thank God!!). They now claim that everything's fine, but that's still to be deteremined, as the timing of this post it prior to this weekend and we plan to give it another try. We live in Tampa, and know there's a big RV show coming up in January. We'd like to attend and will obviously be more "educated" than we were prior to this purchase. Any practical advice on purchasing experiences, and/or return experiences would be much appreciated. We'd like any feedback on the advantages/disadvantages to traveling with a travel trailer, vs. 5th wheel, vs. Class C units. We're towing our Fun Finder with our 2005 Jeep Liberty, and don't expect to trade that in anytime soon.

2. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(rzbztpa @ Dec 6 2007, 02:08 PM) [snapback]9373[/snapback]

We've just purchased our first Travel Trailer(10/10/07) - a Cruiser RV "Fun Finder" 189FBS. We will admit we've had some fun so far. We'd now like to do some research, (the kind we should've done before the investment...), and possibly get better understanding of what we really like and want to travel with, and what we already purchased. Can anyone give us some advice on what we can do now that we're in the $$ hole and not exactly crazy about the Fun Finder we chose to purchase.
    We've had trouble with the 30 amp electric system to the point where we believe the lemon law may become part of the equation. The power kicked off the main so many times it got a little frustrating to say the least. It simply would not work properly and has been back to the dealer more than 3 times (under warranty, Thank God!!). They now claim that everything's fine, but that's still to be deteremined, as the timing of this post it prior to this weekend and we plan to give it another try. We live in Tampa, and know there's a big RV show coming up in January. We'd like to attend and will obviously be more "educated" than we were prior to this purchase. Any practical advice on purchasing experiences, and/or return experiences would be much appreciated. We'd like any feedback on the advantages/disadvantages to traveling with a travel trailer, vs. 5th wheel, vs. Class C units. We're towing our Fun Finder with our 2005 Jeep Liberty, and don't expect to trade that in anytime soon.

Welcome to the forum,

Don't let the problems you're having discourage you. It will all work out. Our first trailer was a tent trailer and upon leaving the dealership we were on the freeway and almost had it come off it's frame. Come to find out they forgot to bolt the trailer to the frame, almost got my wife and I killed on the freeway. We have had a 24' prowler TT and now in a 35' TT. You will be limited to the size considering your tow vehicle so you will also be a little limited to the floor plans. Take a look at the Outback. From what we have seen before we purchased our's this is a very nice trailer and comes in several floor plans and has a light one if I'm not mistaken. Everyone will have their preferences as the RV world goes. I believe pulling a 5th wheel is much easier than a TT but I think you get more floor plans in the smaller units in a TT. We aren't MotorHome people so I can't say anything about that but I've read some of the stories here and there are some folks with some real nice units. Whatever you choose you will have a blast and meet some great people.

As always just my opinion,

3. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

-----------------------
    'rzbztpa' date='Dec 6 2007:
    ... Any practical advice on purchasing experiences, and/or return experiences would be much appreciated. We'd like any feedback on the advantages/disadvantages to traveling with a travel trailer, vs. 5th wheel, vs. Class C units. We're towing our Fun Finder with our 2005 Jeep Liberty, and don't expect to trade that in anytime soon.

------------------------

Best advise I can give is to drive a couple different rigs. I was convinced a TT or 5th was a better value, until I tried to drive one in less than optimum conditions. Absolutely fell in love with the ease of driving/camping with our first (used and not so expensive) Class C. Suddenly those wind gusts did not terrorize me...either driving or in the passenger seat!

Recommend towing your Liberty if you choose a Class C.

4. Silvana

Silvana
    Expand Collapse

We started full timing with a 23 foot wanderer by thor. We loved it. We only had wind problems a few times and the big rigs were also having problems. We have a Sydney addition Outback now. We both love the floor plan and the tt itself. As far as problems goes Outbacks have a problem with the wallpaper. Had it in twice. (Service rep said it was commen in the Outbacks.)Just a little pealing on some edges. Nothing major, I've learned to fix it myself. You might also want to make sure you have easy lube bearings (bearing buddies). If you do a lot of traveling its important.

Attached Files:

5. kenmullins

kenmullins
    Expand Collapse

I would recommend that you investigate RV Consumer Group. They rate RV independently. Membership will cost you about $100.00, but that is far less than what it would cost you to buy an RV that falls apart.

http://www.rv.org/

6. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

We've owned them all--a pop up trailer, a travel trailer, a fifth wheeler, and a Class A motorhome. I recall that, before we bought our very first unit, a seasoned RVer told me that, no matter what you buy, you will have problems with it the first year--it's the way they're built, and the punishment they take on the road. I have found this advice to be so true, no matter what you buy. It usually takes us about a year or so to get the bugs out of a vehicle, and its almost always related to quality control at the manufacturer. I saw an ad in the classified section of one of the travel magazines the other day that some firm in Singapore is seeking qualified RV craftsmen and I firmly hope that this means somebody in the Orient will start building RVs for sale in the US. What the industry needs is a wake-up call like the Japanese automakers have given Detroit. I know all you "be loyal to America" and pro-union folks out there will disagree but I stopped being loyal to American auto manufacturers when they stopped being loyal to me quality-wise. We need some good healthy competition in the RV industry in this country from manufacturers who really believe quality is the first priority, and who don't put out a lot of junk.

7. edward0815

edward0815
    Expand Collapse

:( RZBZTPA Welcome... Please don't beat yourself up like that. We have been camping know for about 25 years now. It took us 3 try's to get it rigth. You have to stand back and look at the WHOLE PICTURE, not just the cosmetic's. Take your time about it and the right one will come along....Enjoy...edward0815QUOTE(rzbztpa @ Dec 6 2007, 05:08 PM) [snapback]9373[/snapback]