Traveling With Critters

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by FosterImposters, Feb 28, 2008.

?

Roll call: How many of us routinely RV / travel with pets.

1. No pets

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Dog(s)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Cat(s)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Dog(s) and Cat(s)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Bird(s)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Aquarium beasties (fish, turtles...snakes)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Ferret(s)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other combinations of the above

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. All of above (yikes!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other (now what did I miss...)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

My first attempt at a poll. :rolleyes:
    When I met DH and his gang of 3 kids, we bonded by going out into local deserts tent camping. Usually without any assorted pets.

When the kids drifted off to jobs/schools, our camping focus changed: became an escape from intense jobs. Packed up DH, steaks, wine and my walking buddy (a huge, loyal rottweiler) into old Class-C and drove like madmen to a State/Federal park for 5-10 days of boondocking.

Traveling with a large, hairy beast (the dog), took on interesting twists/challenges. Looking back, I sure enjoyed her perspective of the whole adventure. I miss her.

Now that we've cut the cord (sold the house), and live, travel (and sometimes camp) fulltime in the RV, the focus has changed again. Slower pace, research mode: generally seek out hook-ups for ease in powering TV, computer, refrigerator and such. And no pets.
    We seem to be in the minority...just curious. Thanks for playing along with my poll! ;)

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Good poll, and I'm glad you clarified who the "large, hairy beast" was. We used to have three cats that went with us, but sadly we are now down to one. We wouldn't think of going without him. We traveled with four small dogs about 25 years ago. While we really loved our dogs we think it is easier to RV with cats. They take care of themselves much better than dogs. But if we had dogs they would go with us, too. Guess it is easy to tell that we consider our animals to be part of the family.

3. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I travel with a cat. When I was between houses (sold house where I used to live, until I bought one where I live now...), I full-timed in my current RV for about 8 months. I loved it! I am hoping in about 3.5 years to full-time again!

I love having my cat. I don't think I could do this with a dog. The cat doesn't need to go outside. However, my cat does have his "pain in the butt" factors....

1. When I switched RV's (traded up), my cat meowed these really strange sounds until he got used to it. PAIN!!!

2. My cat INSISTS on having the shades raised at 3:00 AM so he can see the "happening action" at that time. This means, I pretty much have to leave my bedroom shade open all night, and lose heat. If I don't, kitty will tap my nose and claw the shades at 3:00 AM. PAIN!!!

I have a cat tree that comes right up to the bottom of the window. I carry the cat tree in my RV. When we arrive, and I have set up, kitty sits on top of the tree and looks out the window.

My cat LOVES the state parks! He loves watching the wind blow the tree branches, and any little critters that run up and down the trees. He is quite entertained!

Also, I read that if you travel with an animal, you need to pack it's creature comforts as well as your own. You should not forget this. I bring some of kitty's toys, like his "arch of bristles" that he likes to rub against.

The only problem I have is kitty does not like my RV driving. I put him in the crate, but he still either poops, piddles, or barfs while I drive. Once we get there, he is fine!

JJ

4. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Our Miniature Schnauzer is the "Queen of the Coach", and we do treat her as one of the family. She loves to ride with us, is very quiet, well mannered, and very obedient. She does not bark normally, but will let you know when someone knocks on the motorhome door. Had to put a door bell on the motorhome to eliminate her vocal outburst. Yes she has to go out a few times a day, but is a good excuse for us all to go for a walk. She does prefer to be inside though. We would be at a loss without her, she is funny, smart, and a pleasure to be around.

5. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Feb 28 2008, 05:06 PM) [snapback]10456[/snapback]

...glad you clarified who the "large, hairy beast" was...

Ha! Yep...I'm down to one "large hairy beast" these days! (Sorry guys) :p

QUOTE(Butch @ Feb 29 2008, 08:23 AM) [snapback]10468[/snapback]

We would be at a loss without her, she is funny, smart, and a pleasure to be around.

I couldn't have said it better...thanks Butch! B)

6. Joe-n-Doe

Joe-n-Doe
    Expand Collapse

Pooches are why we got into RVing.

After being petless for 18 years, DD brought home a small mix breed. She works looooong hours for a big hotel here on the Island and was going to keep it crated while at work. DW volunteered to dog sit. Yup....Bella is now ours full time. A couple of months later, DW went to a local pet store to get Bella a new collar. I was sitting at JAX waiting to board a flight when she called to tell me all about the cutest cocker puppy that fell in love with her at the store. Bella gained a new brother Toby that day.

Never considered the convention in Tahoe we had to attend and the corresponding cross country road trip we had planned to take to get there. What to do? Went to the annual RV show and bought our first TT. Got hooked on RVing, dogs did too. Plates on the 5er read K9HAUS. :lol:

7. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Met a couple (with kids) last winter who shared space in their 40' DP with a pair of magnificent macaus, a dalmation and couple cats. The dalmation about to have pups. Closest to Noah's Ark I've seen on wheels. The kids were in seventh heaven. Mom just rolled her eyes alot. :lol:

8. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Mar 3 2008, 02:55 PM) [snapback]10514[/snapback]

Met a couple (with kids) last winter who shared space in their 40' DP with a pair of magnificent macaus, a dalmation and couple cats. The dalmation about to have pups. Closest to Noah's Ark I've seen on wheels. The kids were in seventh heaven. Mom just rolled her eyes alot. :lol:

To each his own, just very glad it is not I........

9. MS.K

MS.K
    Expand Collapse

Well, we just started RVing and will start to incorporate our pooch into the travels as we feel more comfortable with it but, on our first trip, I think we saw more people with pets than without.

10. Silvana

Silvana
    Expand Collapse

We have been fulltiming nine years. Always with a dog. A couple of years ago we lost our Taz. (Cream color chow chow.) We went two weeks without. We could not handle it. We now have a two year old long hair German Shephard.

11. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Hi Silvana...I grew up with chows and chow/shephard mixes. Fabulous sweethearts! So fiercely loyal and loveable. :)

12. Silvana

Silvana
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(FosterImposters @ Mar 7 2008, 11:07 PM) [snapback]10590[/snapback]

Hi Silvana...I grew up with chows and chow/shephard mixes. Fabulous sweethearts! So fiercely loyal and loveable. :)

Yes, he was a sweetie! We both still miss him. He was a travel companion for many years. Heidi is a good girl too. She is a completely different dog. He liked his peace and quiet, she just wants to give love and play.

13. kap7893

kap7893
    Expand Collapse

:D Oh you all will love this. We have TWO 19lb dogs and THREE 19lb cats in our RV with us.
    We did not want it that way. The cats lived in our house for 2 years while we gone...but then we sold our house. The way I see it, these cats are my responsibility. I've had them since they were kittens and there is no way I could EVER give them away.
    The transition to RV life has not been easy on them. They came very close to being declawed. However...its working out. Been interesting to say the least. We keep cat nip on hand to be entertained.