Traveling With Dogs

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by scubawithdogs, Mar 21, 2011.

1. scubawithdogs

scubawithdogs
    Expand Collapse

Does anyone know of a park in South Florida which allows 4 dogs? We plan to retire at the first of the year and would like to spend several months in South Florida. The dogs have traveled with us all over the United States and never been a problem but South Florida seems to have a problem with over 2 dogs.

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

The only way I guess is to call the parks you would like to visit. I think you will have a problem everyplace you go with four dogs. Most parks have a limit on the number you can have.

3. scubawithdogs

scubawithdogs
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Mar 21 2011, 08:44 PM) [snapback]25688[/snapback]

The only way I guess is to call the parks you would like to visit. I think you will have a problem everyplace you go with four dogs. Most parks have a limit on the number you can have.

QUOTE(John Blue @ Mar 21 2011, 08:44 PM) [snapback]25688[/snapback]

Thanks for your reply. We have found several great parks which judge dog and dog owner behavior before a flat out "no way".
    San Antonio Texas Carefree, Lagoons in Rockport Texas, Hilton Head RV park and Marina love the dogs. I will keep calling and emailing until I find a park and anyone with an information I would appreciate it.

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Been in all three parks and they are nice places to spend your time. Enloy! :p

5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Sometimes size and breed makes a difference, not just the number. If you have one of the so-called vicious breeds you may have some trouble. Many years ago we traveled with 4 miniature Dachshunds and were never turned down anywhere, but times have changed a bit. Good luck. I know how much we enjoyed having our pets with us.

6. scubawithdogs

scubawithdogs
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Mar 22 2011, 07:22 PM) [snapback]25696[/snapback]

Sometimes size and breed makes a difference, not just the number. If you have one of the so-called vicious breeds you may have some trouble. Many years ago we traveled with 4 miniature Dachshunds and were never turned down anywhere, but times have changed a bit. Good luck. I know how much we enjoyed having our pets with us.

One of the dogs is a rescued "so called vicous Rottweiller". We were at Gulf Waters in Port Aransas and everyone was in love with Gus and fed him breakfast on our morning walks. We had been there 2 weeks and someone asked what kind of dog Gus was and I told them a Rottie. She said "oh I thought he was Mastiff". We were asked to leave that day. Crazy!

I know we are going to have a hard time but just retiring this year and these are the animals we have rescued who have became part of our family so we will just have to find a way to make it work.

7. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(scubawithdogs @ Mar 21 2011, 05:32 PM) [snapback]25685[/snapback]

Does anyone know of a park in South Florida which allows 4 dogs? We plan to retire at the first of the year and would like to spend several months in South Florida. The dogs have traveled with us all over the United States and never been a problem but South Florida seems to have a problem with over 2 dogs.

There may be some info on this site:

http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/travel/g...usstateFL.shtml

8. scubawithdogs

scubawithdogs
    Expand Collapse

9. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(scubawithdogs @ Mar 24 2011, 01:40 PM) [snapback]25706[/snapback]

Thanks the site was very helpful!

Here's another website that's supposed to show pet-friendly campgrounds:

www.gopetfriendly.com

There was an article in this months Highways mag about a couple that started this website.

10. kswaby10

kswaby10
    Expand Collapse

11. araucanaman

araucanaman
    Expand Collapse

There are several county parks in South Florida that may accept your dogs, Markham, CB Smith and TY. TY is an abbreviation for a rather long name but it is located in Hollywood. We stayed at CB Smith with 3 dogs and no problems. You might also try Yacht Haven or Buglewood. Don't know what Buglewood is like anymore, in the heart of town but have heard good things about Yacht Haven, right on the Intercoastal Waterway. Good Luck.