traveling with pets

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by paalmlie, Oct 2, 2004.

1. paalmlie

paalmlie
    Expand Collapse

Hello,

I'm wanting to take my beloved cat with me - airstream 30' safari SO.
    Single still working - traveling around the states - job function.
    Any suggestions, tips and previous experience would be appreciated.
    New to travel trailer life style.

2. seabirdrv

seabirdrv
    Expand Collapse

As an RV Park Owner and Pet Owner here are a couple of observations and tips. I see and talk with many pet owners here in our park. I am always amazed at how many pet owners who claim to love their pets as much as a family member and then leave that pet alone in a RV all day even during the hottest days of the season when the temp hovers around 90 mid day making it 120 or more in the RV.

Just some things we do when we take our pet with us while traveling. We never leave the pet in our RV unless the air conditioner (in hot climate) and or heater (in cold climate) is set to a comfortable level for the pet. We never leave the pet in the RV for more then 4 hours at a time. We keep current vaccination records in the RV at all times. We familirize ourselves with the pet laws of any State we plan to visit. This information is available on the internet and at the public library. Finally, we make sure we are familar with pet regulations of any park we plan to stay at. All of this effort truly pays off to make your travel experience better with your pet.

Good Luck and we hope you enjoy your travels with your pet as much as we do.

Shelia
    Owner, Sea Bird RV Park
    Brookings, Oregon

3. Sunflyer

Sunflyer
    Expand Collapse

I would add this......have your kitty microchipped with info. such as your cellphone number............and NEVER open the door to your rv until you are absolutely sure where your pet is and that they aren't in a position to slip past you out the door.

This can happen in the blink of an eye and getting them back in an unfamiliar town that you aren't going to be staying in long term can be near impossible.

Then get your pets current shot and health records to keep in a folder for any vet you may need to visit while on the road. Then when shots need updating or an illness needs attending, you will have current info for the new vet to work from. Ask each vet you visit to provide you a copy of the new records detailing what has been done and keep it in the folder.

Something like 60% or more of rvers are traveling with pets so you will be in good company, but it does have it's challenges.

4. stagecoach-driver

stagecoach-driver
    Expand Collapse

do your pet and your fellow RV'ers a favor and find them a new loving family. how would you lilke to live with a 6 foot rope around your neck or locked in a RV the rest of your live

5. julievojo

julievojo
    Expand Collapse

I've not tried to travel with my cat, he hates to be in the car or any vehicle so he stays home with my son. We do, however, travel with 2 small dogs. I would say one of the most important things is to have the microchip! I wouldn't travel without.

Keeping the animals comfortable is also very important. We don't leave them alone in the RV at all, except for very short grocery stops. The other important item is to make sure that they don't annoy fellow travelers. Don't leave barking dogs or whining cats alone at your campsite, don't let your animals jump up on other people and pick up their pottys. If you're not willing to do these things, don't bring them along.

Our dogs absolutely love to go. Anytime we take them out for a walk or ride at home, they always stop at the RV and wait for us to let them in. They're really disappointed if we don't get in. When they do see us packing up the RV, they are so excited they can hardly contain themselves and they'll drive us crazy until it's time to get in and GO.

Julie

6. montgomerymike

montgomerymike
    Expand Collapse

I travel with my 2 cats and they love it. The idea that you are being cruel to your cat by leaving it in an rv is silly. It is no different than leaving it at home all day while you are at work. Just soend quality time when you are there and make sure they have plenty of tows to play with or they will make their own. I live fulltime in my rv now and my wife and my cats seem to be very happy with the arrangement.

7. Dixiechick

Dixiechick
    Expand Collapse

Our cats love to travel, even though they do not like to ride in the car. That is probably because they know a trip in the car means a trip to the vets office for the annual exam! Our cats sleep under the sofa or under one of the chairs when we are traveling but they live on the dashboard at other times. At night, they sleep in the bed with us or curl up in the co-pilot's chair. Take the cats-you will enjoy the company!

8. robin352

robin352
    Expand Collapse

How silly for folks to bash someone for taking their pet with them. We have ours with us, all 4, 2 dogs, 2 cats. We are set up in a way that allows all of them to be outside when its warm enough but still keeps them confined to our site, and no they are not tied. The campground management also has our phone numbers in case of emergency, power outages would be considered an emergency with pets in the MH.

9. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

I think Mr. Stagecoach Driver is one horse short of a team. Our small dog has travelled with us for years, never has "a rope around his neck," loves to travel, and, as far as he is concerned, the motorhome is just like his regular home. He is more well-adjusted and happy that most people I meet. :lol :lol:

10. PatJ3

PatJ3
    Expand Collapse

From a pet owner and a campground owner: Take your pets. Traveling for them is an adventure. We travel in our off season with 2 dogs and 2 cats. Since we live in a small apt when we are working, the pets love the RV better than the apt. They enjoy sitting by the windows and seeing new things. Dogs travel in the truck when we are on the move; cats find their own hiding spots and come out when we are stopped. We do not have our pets microchipped - but it is a good idea. We do have ID on them and the rig (how many pets inside) in case something happens while we are gone. We leave the cats by themselves all day if we need to - because they really like it that way.We take the dogs if we are going to be gone longer than 4 hours. We have harnesses on all pets. (It is a lot easier to catch a cat with a harness.) Follow campground rules regarding pets and you will have no problems from the owners. One of my pet peeves is pet owners who feel that their pet is the exception to the Leash rules. The leash protects your pet from others - it gives the owner control. After all they are animals and animal behavior is unpredictable regardless of the training they have received. Enjoy traveling with your pets - they will! :)

11. Kimo

Kimo
    Expand Collapse

mpj, I have a question for you (as a campground owner)
    I have 2 cats that travel with me full time. I let them out of the rv at random times during the day or night. They always hang around my rv and of course, take walks around the cg on occasion. Cats like kitty litter better than outdoors so when they "need to go" they always come back to my rv. My question to you as a cg owner, is this unaceptable? They lay down within the space of the rv for the most part. One of them hides from anything that moves while the other one will rub against you if you show him any attention at all. He even loves to play with dogs. Thanks for your opinion.

Kimo

12. PatJ3

PatJ3
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Kimo @ Feb 5 2005, 12:56 PM)
    mpj, I have a question for you (as a campground owner)
    I have 2 cats that travel with me full time. I let them out of the rv at random times during the day or night. They always hang around my rv and of course, take walks around the cg on occasion. Cats like kitty litter better than outdoors so when they "need to go" they always come back to my rv. My question to you as a cg owner, is this unaceptable? They lay down within the space of the rv for the most part. One of them hides from anything that moves while the other one will rub against you if you show him any attention at all. He even loves to play with dogs. Thanks for your opinion.

Kimo

I have replied with an email to this question regarding the regulations at our campground. Contact the campground directly for their rules and regs in this matter.

13. Kimo

Kimo
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the response mpj.

I appreciate it.

Kimo