U.S. 30 east of Wolfsburg, PA

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Waubee, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Waubee

Waubee
    Expand Collapse

We are going to visit Gettysburg and stay at the Drummer Boy Campground. I am wondering what U.S. 30 is like from Wolfsburg, PA to Gettysburg. I have a 40' DP. I plan on taking I-70 east out of Indiana and pick up U.S. 30. Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Waubee Man

2. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

From Wolfsburg to Breezewood you will encounter a few "hills" which should not pose any problem. However, Breezewood to Chambersburg is where you encounter the "mountains" very windy and steep inclines and declines. I really don't like traveling that route via car let alone in a motor home or towing a trailer. But, the scenary is bar-none, it's absolutely beautiful. I was just to Gettysburg this past week and traveling in a car did take Route 30 down and happened to be behind a 40 foot motorhome during the mountain passages and it did seem at times the motorhome was struggling, but each time made the inclines and declines without pulling over and such. Going home I decided to take Route 30 from Gettysburg to Chambersburg then took 81 South to Hagerstown then 70 West to Breezewood (which is my exit to get home) and it's all four-lane very easy to traverse and is about 40 miles farther than going Route 30, but less of a hassle with the mountains. Another way I've never taken, but one you might want to consider is in Breezewood getting on the PA Turnpike and going to Exit 236, then take Route 15 South which will take you right into Gettysburg. That's also longer than Route 30, but also less of a hassle. Hope you have a great time, we did. Weather was in the 90's the whole week and no rain!

3. Waubee

Waubee
    Expand Collapse

:D Thanks BBear. I really appreciate the information.

Waubee Man

4. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

You're welcome. Hope you have a great time!