Uk Traveller Yosemite/angels Camp/jamestown

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Barrowford Bluesman, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Barrowford Bluesman

Barrowford Bluesman
    Expand Collapse

Greetings from England

I will be traveling to California with my wife and 8 year old daughter & renting an RV. We intend to visit Yosemite, Angels Camp and Jamestown before crossing Yosemite on the 120 to Lee Vining, then onto Bodie and up to Tahoe before visiting friends up near Shasta. Our base is going to be Buck Meadows. We're allowing 4 days for this part of our trip.

Google maps quotes 48 miles to Angel's so I'm allowing an 75 mins for that; my only real concern is just before the 120 joins the 49 where the road looks a bit "squiggly" on the map. Is this a viable trip to do there/back a couple of times? We are going to be in a 22' motorhome - so not excessive; last trip we had a 26' which I found a bit big (at least for me) on some of the mountain roads.

I could also use some advice as to where to stay on the way up to Bodie.

Appreciate we are only going to "scratch the surface" but really looking forward to the trip.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ian

2. zigzag

zigzag
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to California... wishing you and your family a wonderful visit.

The road section you are asking about is called the "New Priest Grade". and in today's internet world here is a video (Youtube) of the drive. They have had many mishaps on this road, but just drive slow and easy and it will not be a problem.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZaJdWCSnQs

An RV Park to stay at in the town of Lee Vining (just north of where Hwy 120 meets Hwy 395) is Mono Vista RV. You can read the reviews and decide for yourself, we had a good time there with no problems. https://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions/Calif...ng.html#CGID377
    I think they only accept cash.

There is also an informative visitor center right there at Mono Lake (Lee Vining) that is worth looking into. http://www.monolake.org/visit/vc

take care, Steve & Terri

I will be traveling to California with my wife and 8 year old daughter & renting an RV. We intend to visit Yosemite, Angels Camp and Jamestown before crossing Yosemite on the 120 to Lee Vining, then onto Bodie and up to Tahoe before visiting friends up near Shasta. Our base is going to be Buck Meadows. We're allowing 4 days for this part of our trip.

Google maps quotes 48 miles to Angel's so I'm allowing an 75 mins for that; my only real concern is just before the 120 joins the 49 where the road looks a bit "squiggly" on the map. Is this a viable trip to do there/back a couple of times? We are going to be in a 22' motorhome - so not excessive; last trip we had a 26' which I found a bit big (at least for me) on some of the mountain roads.

I could also use some advice as to where to stay on the way up to Bodie.

Appreciate we are only going to "scratch the surface" but really looking forward to the trip.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ian
    [/quote]

3. Barrowford Bluesman

Barrowford Bluesman
    Expand Collapse

Thanks very much.

It doesn't look too bad at all - whether I want to do it 4 or 5 times in a couple of days is a different thing so we'll probably plan a route accordingly.

Thanks
    Ian