Updating Maps

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by revrnd, Aug 6, 2010.

1. revrnd

revrnd
    Expand Collapse

I just reviewed my 2nd park today (Mew Lake campground in Algonquin Prov' Park). I don't know if I missed it or couldn't because the park had previously been reviewed, but I couldn't revise the location on the map.

Currently the map shows its location as being on the north shore of Lake of Two Rivers.

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

If a park's location has been verified, then you cannot move the pin. In these cases you must send the needed change in a post (just like this time), and we will make the correction.

In this case with Mew Lake, I checked and the location had been verified so that is why you could not relocate the pin. Trouble was the pin was in the middle of a lake. It has now been place on what appears to be an RV park on Mew Lake. Please take a look now and let me know if it is correct. If not please send more detailed directions for where it is located.

Thanks for your help.

3. revrnd

revrnd
    Expand Collapse

I checked the map & that's perfect.

Also, Lake of Two Rivers campground is just east of Mew Lake campground on the west end of Lake of Two Rivers. The GPS location is N45* 34' 46.6" W78* 30' 7.9"

4. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Ok, this one is harder to spot, but I think I see something that may be a campground in the area you have said. However, I do not find a listing in our database for the Lake of Two Rivers Campground so there is no pin to set on that one.

5. revrnd

revrnd
    Expand Collapse

I checked a bunch of campgrounds that I'm familiar w/ & updapted their locations. Some weren't even close. If members checked other campgrounds that they know of, that would help make the listings even more useful.

Also, Darlington Provincial Park is listed under Bowmanville (original map location had it closer to Orono) when it's western boundary butts up against Oshawa's eastern townline.

6. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Wow, you did locate a lot of parks. But that is good because we have trouble with the Canadian locations--the map photos are not usually very good and many times too many trees block the view of the campsites. Your locations seem to be very accurate so we appreciate the help.

We will also check out the Darlington info and make changes as needed.

Thanks,

TX

7. revrnd

revrnd
    Expand Collapse

Your welcome.

Does the map default to the listed town for a campground's location if the reviewer doesn't update it? The reason I ask is that the pin was set for the middle of Port Perry for Goreski's even though the park is a couple miles up the lake on the opposite shoreline.

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

You know, I just looked at your original post, and I’m not sure we answered your first question. It asked if you have to submit a review in order to change the map pin. The answer is no. You can go to the park’s listing in our database and then click on “View on Map.” If the location is not verified you can move the pin to the correct location and then submit it for verification. If it is locked you have to report the incorrect location in a post.

The answer to your last question is a bit more complicated, but for all practical purposes the answer is yes, the system defaults to the zip code for the town the park is in. This probably won’t put the pin right on the park so the admin should then check the map to see if the pin is in the right place and change it if necessary.

The problem comes because sometimes it is hard to find the actual location of the park. Even the parks' websites have been known to contain the wrong GPS coordinates, and sometimes you can't verify a park's location because the trees are too thick to see it. Also I think that when the webmaster first put the map feature online the map pins went in based on the zip code for the towns. Many pins are still located in this original location. Some of us have tried to go state by state to check the locations, but that is a huge task, and we have only made a small dent.

You have probably noticed that if you submit a review for a park whose location has not been verified, the system gives you a chance to reset the map pin after completing your review. These are then submitted for verification. Once an admin verifies the location the pin is locked, and no one except an admin can change it again.

Your map submissions have been very good, but you would be surprised at how far off some of the submissions are. Sometimes the pins are on the wrong park, but usually they are in the middle of nowhere or in the middle of a lake. It makes us wonder if the person's RV had pontoons on it. :D

For now you are doing the right thing. If you find a park whose location is not verified make the change and submit it for verification. If the location is verified, but wrong, then report it in a post just as you have been doing.

Finally we appreciate your help locating parks as we want our database to be as accurate as possible.

9. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Now I understand why I saw a park indicated in the geographical center of the Yukon territory with no roads whatsoever within hundreds of miles even though the address was in Dawson City and the text mentioned it was "downtown". Luckily location pin had not been fixed so I could move it to the right spot! If everybody helps a little we should be able to get everything right eventually.

10. revrnd

revrnd
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(wprigge @ Aug 9 2010, 09:58 PM) [snapback]23428[/snapback]

Now I understand why I saw a park indicated in the geographical center of the Yukon territory with no roads whatsoever within hundreds of miles even though the address was in Dawson City and the text mentioned it was "downtown". Luckily location pin had not been fixed so I could move it to the right spot! If everybody helps a little we should be able to get everything right eventually.

That's what I did.

I was thinking along the same lines. If everyone took a few minutes & checked for CGs that they were familiar w/ their location (even if they hadn't camped at) & verified the locations, that could help out everyone who uses the site.

11. revrnd

revrnd
    Expand Collapse

12. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(revrnd @ Aug 7 2010, 11:58 PM) [snapback]23373[/snapback]

Also, Darlington Provincial Park is listed under Bowmanville (original map location had it closer to Orono) when it's western boundary butts up against Oshawa's eastern townline.

While the park may be located closer to Oshawa, the address on its website puts it in Bowmanville. We realize that sometimes an address is given for a headquarters/office that is many miles away from the actual location of the park, but this does not seem to be the case here. The park actually appears to be physically located at 1600 Darlington Park Dr. and apparently that address is in Bowmanville, Ontario. Thanks for pointing this out, but I'm thinking this one will stay as it is unless you can tell me a reason otherwise.

13. revrnd

revrnd
    Expand Collapse

Or we could call it Courtice ;) That's the part of Bowmanville it's in (or Clarington if your new to the area). The road that the 401 exits to just east of the park is Courtice Rd.

14. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Well, I suppose we could call it anything we want to :p , but for now we're sticking with the address on their website. :)

15. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

revrnd,

Wow, you really did locate a lot of parks. Thanks. Your pins are so right on we could approve your maps with our eyes closed--but we don't. I'm glad you know where some of these places are because there were one or two in this last batch that I couldn't make out a campground. One small suggestion, though. If there is a very long entrance road, you might want to put the pin closer to the actual campsites rather than at the beginning of the road. I know some campgrounds are so spread out with many different sections this is hard to do so the entrance road is the only way to go. No big deal; it just helps show the location of the actual sites a little better.

Thanks again. We appreciate your help.

16. revrnd

revrnd
    Expand Collapse

Texas, I'm just checking thru the Ontario Parks & KOA wbsites & comparing the maps & Google Earth.

You might wast to have a look @ the 1000 Islands/Ivy Lea KOA, I think the pin should be moved west. You can see a cam[ground @ the end of the next road west.

No problem about the Darlington deal. Just sometimes the "official" location isn't really what an area is known as. Besides you should hear the different pronunciations of Courtice (Cur-tis). I've heard Court-ice, Cour-tice & if you want to make it sound like some high end location, Cour-teese.

17. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(revrnd @ Aug 10 2010, 04:28 PM) [snapback]23454[/snapback]

You might wast to have a look @ the 1000 Islands/Ivy Lea KOA, I think the pin should be moved west. You can see a cam[ground @ the end of the next road west.

This is a tough one. There is definitely a park visible where you have said, and the pin has been moved there; however, this sure doesn't match up with the location that is shown on the park's website. Course I know their maps are never to scale, but this one is off more than normal. Since there is no other park listed in Ivy Lea, I guess the place you found is right. We can always change it again if we need to. Thanks again.

18. revrnd

revrnd
    Expand Collapse

Two more things, could you zoom out & switch to "map" my update for Long Point Prov' Park? I submitted it before I was finished.

Also, someone has located Pog Lake CG in Algonquin Pro' Park @ the Canisbay Lake CG. The actual location is east of Lake of Two Rivers & south of Hwy 60.

19. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Well, I see you had nothing much to do this afternoon. :D I took a quick look at Pog Lake CG and could not locate it quickly so I will work on it again later as well as the other maps you have submitted.

There are several people who validate maps. If someone else approves Long Point I will check it later to see if it is in map view and zoomed out. To be truthful there is no rule for how to leave the maps. I personally like to have them in hybrid view and zoomed out far enough to show a major road on the same screen as the campground, but this does not always work out. In all honesty it doesn't matter how a map is left because I'm sure you know that even after a map is locked anyone can zoom in or out or move the map in any direction to get a better look at the location. But then of course the map does not stay there; it goes back to the locked position for the next viewer.

20. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

I just checked the Ivy Lea KOA location and it is just perfect, with the entrance starting just across Thousand Island Parkway from the marina.

Another map correction I suggest is for the village of Sainte-Flavie in Québec. On the actual campground review of "Capitaine Homard" everything is correct, but on the map of the province Sainte-Flavie is placed near the head of Chaleur Bay, almost in New Brunswick. The correct location is about 120 miles north-west of there, on the St-Lawrence estuary, approximatively 25 km north-east of Rimouski, QC. The location pin in the campground review is dead on, I put it there myself... :)