Uvw Vs. Dry Weight

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by MaineDon, Jan 6, 2008.

1. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

Help!!! We are shopping on-line for a new 5th wheel and I am really confused about Dry Weight and UVW. My understanding is that Dry Weight represents an RV's basic weight with standard features; and the UVW represents an RV's actual weight including both standard features and options.

If this is so, then how can all these dealers list a UVW for a given model, not knowing what options I'd like to add???

Is my understanding of Dry vs. UVW wrong? I could use some help here in that our GMC Sierra has clear weight limitations in what it can pull.

2. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(MaineDon @ Jan 6 2008, 03:04 PM) [snapback]9801[/snapback]

Help!!! We are shopping on-line for a new 5th wheel and I am really confused about Dry Weight and UVW. My understanding is that Dry Weight represents an RV's basic weight with standard features; and the UVW represents an RV's actual weight including both standard features and options.

If this is so, then how can all these dealers list a UVW for a given model, not knowing what options I'd like to add???

Is my understanding of Dry vs. UVW wrong? I could use some help here in that our GMC Sierra has clear weight limitations in what it can pull.

Don as per my owners manual, on a motor home, used only for explanation of terms, your thinking as to the UVW is correct as the figure represents the actual weight but to include all standard and some optional features. In my thinking I would say that as UVW and dry weight, as it relates to a towable, would be one in the same. The reason I say this is that the UVW for a motor home does include; full engine fuel tank, engine oils, and coolants. As the towable does not use these added weights, the towable's weight would reflect "dry weight", or "UVW".

As to the options you want to add, the dealer(s) should have a list of weights as they pertain to each and every added option. NCC, net carrying capacity is the amount of GVWR minus the UVW. The NCC figure should include: personal belongings, food, fresh water, LP gas, tools, and any dealer installed accessories over the factory manufacturer's weight figure. This figure should represent the weight your tow vehicle will be pulling. This is my thoughts and opinion on the subject and could be very wrong, I was wrong once in 2001, a senior moment. Good luck !

3. sam robertson

sam robertson
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(MaineDon @ Jan 6 2008, 03:04 PM) [snapback]9801[/snapback]

4. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, Butch. So now I am wondering whether the UVW's posted in RV kitchen cabinets really reflect the actual weight of a vehicle....given that they usually differ in terms of options included. It sounds like they do not.

I wish I could find a clear statement on this.

5. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(MaineDon @ Jan 8 2008, 10:40 AM) [snapback]9828[/snapback]

Thanks, Butch. So now I am wondering whether the UVW's posted in RV kitchen cabinets really reflect the actual weight of a vehicle....given that they usually differ in terms of options included. It sounds like they do not.

I wish I could find a clear statement on this.

MaineDon:

If the unit in question is a towable, I would feel that the UVW is the actual weight that the manufacturer places on the sheet. Of course Don these are my thoughts. The dealers will tell you what they think you will want to hear as some will not have a clue. Might be a very good question for the "Trailer Life" magazine. Maybe a call to the towables' manufacturer could give you the answer to clarify your concerns. Someone has to know the correct answer to your question. Will check locally to see if I can get a straight informative answer, have a local dealer who has been in the Rv business for over 30+ years and would seem that he should know the answer. This should be interesting !

6. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(MaineDon @ Jan 6 2008, 01:04 PM) [snapback]9801[/snapback]

Hey Don,

This is a very good place to start, they give you all the definitions of all the differents type of weights, The 1 thing a dealer always says when you are looking at a towable that might be just a bit heavy is, oh you will never fill it to capacity, don't worry.

changingears.com/rv-sec-tow-vehicles-understand.shtml#_uvw

Hope this helps,