View On Map - Inaccurate

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by AshleyAnne, May 23, 2009.

1. AshleyAnne

AshleyAnne
    Expand Collapse

The 'View on Map' feature is nice but very inaccurate. Once a park's location has been 'verified' the map location pointer can't be moved.

In the past 10 years I have stayed at over 200 RV Parks around the country. I recently looked at many of the 'map locations' and was amazed at how inaccurate many of the 'verified' locations are. I have submitted about 115 reviews. I think I've been pretty fair.

There needs to be some way to correct the 'maps' but there is none. I have reported the most inaccurate ones and have gotten no response from the Webmaster or anyone else.

I would not use the maps to find the park for me. It is better to use Google Earth with an address. Many parks now list their GPS coordinates in their web site. They help.

Map location inaccuracies need to be fixed. Is it going to be fixed?

Larry Rebich

2. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Larry,

Start a topic called "correct GPS readings" and I'm sure the admins will appreciate the help in finding errors!

QUOTE(LRebich @ May 24 2009, 01:41 AM) [snapback]16553[/snapback]

The 'View on Map' feature is nice but very inaccurate. Once a park's location has been 'verified' the map location pointer can't be moved.

In the past 10 years I have stayed at over 200 RV Parks around the country. I recently looked at many of the 'map locations' and was amazed at how inaccurate many of the 'verified' locations are. I have submitted about 115 reviews. I think I've been pretty fair.

There needs to be some way to correct the 'maps' but there is none. I have reported the most inaccurate ones and have gotten no response from the Webmaster or anyone else.

I would not use the maps to find the park for me. It is better to use Google Earth with an address. Many parks now list their GPS coordinates in their web site. They help.

Map location inaccuracies need to be fixed. Is it going to be fixed?

Larry Rebich

3. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Hello Larry,

Your comments about the map feature have me concerned. I really try to check the new reviews to see if the locations are correct and report them when they are not. Naturally the unverified maps may be wrong because they have not yet been checked by one of the admins on the site. With over 10,000 parks listed it will take a little time to verify every location. I'm sure this is being worked on.

However, the verified pins should be pretty accurate, and I am concerned that you feel many are not. Therefore, if you will please list some of the mistakes you have found I will do my best to see that they are corrected. Please include the park name, city, and state. If the pin is extremely off it would be helpful if you would give a brief description of where it should be.

You are correct that once a place has been verified it cannot be changed by a member. I imagine this is to keep someone from changing a correct location to an incorrect one. I do not know why your messages went unanswered in the past, but I am sorry you received no response. Maybe the webmaster will find a better way to handle this in the future, but of now the only way to get a verified location changed is to report it here.

We appreciate your calling this problem to our attention, and thank you for your help in solving it.

TX

4. AshleyAnne

AshleyAnne
    Expand Collapse

TX:

I sent screen capture shots of at least 5 that were off by as much as a mile. If you will send me an email to larry@larryrebich.com I will email you the screen shots. I have uploaded the worst one to:

http://www.buygold.net/CountryRoadsRVPark.png

This one is off by a mile or so.

I have stayed at perhaps 100 parks in the past 10 years. I remember most of the locations.

Larry Rebich

5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Larry,

John Blue has said he will contact you on this.

TX

6. AshleyAnne

AshleyAnne
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for correcting the inaccurate map pins. Good Job.