Virginia Beach Koa

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by popup6, May 12, 2007.

1. popup6

popup6
    Expand Collapse

Well I am going to take the plunge in August and try Virginia Beach KOA despite the reviews. I received the new KOA newsletter and spotted that it is listed as a NEW Campground. I called
    them and it seems that due to all the negative reviews and the conditions of the campground,
    KOA bought the campground back, and is running it and in the process of upgrading, cleaning and bringing it back up to specs to meet their standards. With that in mind I am going to be brave
    and take a chance and give it a try, and will let you all know how it is after I stay there.
    Wish me luck :) until then I am off to Woodstock in two weeks, well see how that one is also.

2. jmo

jmo
    Expand Collapse

Our only experience Holiday Trav Park in VB. Stayed two years ago at Christmas as we have family in the area. Very nice campground. Did not look at KOA but always good to have choices so do let us know how you like it.

Kate

3. DThomas

DThomas
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(popup6 @ May 12 2007, 08:51 AM) [snapback]7051[/snapback]

Well I am going to take the plunge in August and try Virginia Beach KOA despite the reviews. I received the new KOA newsletter and spotted that it is listed as a NEW Campground. I called
    them and it seems that due to all the negative reviews and the conditions of the campground,
    KOA bought the campground back, and is running it and in the process of upgrading, cleaning and bringing it back up to specs to meet their standards. With that in mind I am going to be brave
    and take a chance and give it a try, and will let you all know how it is after I stay there.
    Wish me luck :) until then I am off to Woodstock in two weeks, well see how that one is also.

We've stayed at the Virginia Beach KOA a couple of times. We thought it was pretty good actually, and we kind of trend toward the 4/5 W's or 8/9 TL Ratings. It wasn't a 10 by any means but it definitely wasn't bad either. I'd give it about a 7. It has been about 2 years since we last stayed there so things could have changed...but all in all, I think you'll enjoy your stay there. We did.

4. tinybluetj

tinybluetj
    Expand Collapse

We live right next door- literally! There was a lot of 'big' construction equipment there over the winter, but I do not know what they did. It is a fairly large part, but because I live right here, I have never stayed there (I go to the Mountians for vacation!). Let me know if you need any help with activities or such while you are down here!

BTW are you familiar with www.popupexplorer.com ? It is a great PUP site (and they let those of us who have 'upgraded' hang around still! :D

5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We just wanted to let tinybluetj know that we really liked VA Beach when we were there recently. We did not stay at the KOA, but rather at the Holiday Travel Park. Their super sites are so nice. We heard the jets from Oceana NAS, but they were not a problem. We even drove over and parked to watch them take off and land. We had a great time walking on the cement "board" walk. The sculptures on each of the side streets were fun to see. We walked the whole length and made sure we got a picture of each one. Neptune was fantastic. The beaches were not crowded at all, but the water was still too cold for us. We also climbed the old lighthouse, and they didn't even have to call emergency services for us when we got down. What a view! Based on post card pictures of the beach in summer, we're not sure we would want to be there then, but we would love to come back any other time. You really picked a beautiful place to live.