Washington DC Campgrounds

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by easyrider65_01, Mar 2, 2005.

1. easyrider65_01

easyrider65_01
    Expand Collapse

I am looking for a camp ground that is very convenient to downtown DC (or to metro-transit), is in a safe area, and allows long-term (>3 months) camping. I am going to need to be in town for a while and need someplace relatively safe but also close to downtown. Thanks to anyone that can help me.

2. Sunflyer

Sunflyer
    Expand Collapse

The only close in choice with monthly rates is Cherry Hill. Last I heard it's 800 a month basic. Other parks are much farther out. Cherry Hill is on the express bus route to the Metro subway so you don't even have to drive if you don't want to.

3. easyrider65_01

easyrider65_01
    Expand Collapse

I do not mind a commute into town. What are some names of the parks that are further out? Thanks for the info.

4. CU3271

CU3271
    Expand Collapse

There are two campgrounds run by the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority. One is Bull Run Regional Park, about 30 miles west of DC, off of Interstate 66, and the other is Pohick Bay Regional Park. Pohick Bay is about 20 miles south of DC, off of Interstate 95. Both parks have a weekly limit, I think, but depending on the situation, they may allow you to stay. During the summer it is difficult to stretch your stay. You could always move back and forth, though this could be inconvient.

Bull Run Regional Park, Ernest Kye, 703-631-0550
    Pohick Bay Regional Park, Jim Short, 703-339-6104.

Talk directly with the managers listed above. Both are very nice parks with security twenty-four hours a day. Hope this helps, good luck.

5. Fleetwood Prowler 29 S TT BH

QUOTE(easyrider65_01 @ Mar 2 2005, 11:36 PM)
    I am looking for a camp ground that is very convenient to downtown DC (or to metro-transit), is in a safe area, and allows long-term (>3 months) camping. I am going to need to be in town for a while and need someplace relatively safe but also close to downtown. Thanks to anyone that can help me.

We stayed at Aquia Pines Camp Resort just off I-95 south of Alexandria

We drove into the District and parked and the Metro park and rides and rode
    the subway into D.C. This was the only way we could get around

Spent roughly 10 days there and had no problems

The campground is rustic, "shady "in the back" and sunny up front
    near the interstate. Some sites are tight but not a problem when
    you go slow.

I would contact them to see what plans they have for you.

The other option would be Cherry Hill Park. I't closer, however I believe
    it would be more crowded and higher dollar

Just my 2 cents worth

Chuck

6. haroldtx

haroldtx
    Expand Collapse

Here are a couple you might look into. We haven't been to either, but found them when researching for a trip that way soon:

Greenville Family Farms Campground in Haymarket, Va (http://www.woodalls.com/a/01550_greenvillefarm.html)
    and
    Mountain View Campground at Silver Lake in Haymarket, VA
    (http://www.mtnviewcamp.com/)

They are both near Manassas, about 30 Miles west of D.C. They are the only ones I could find with hookups near D.C. other that Cherry Hill (it's really nice, but too rich for my blood)

7. bedward

bedward
    Expand Collapse

Northeast DC KOA (I think. It used to be Millersville KOA) in Millersville MD might have shuttles to the city.

8. thrashercharged

thrashercharged
    Expand Collapse

Well, I after reading the bad reviews for Duncan Family Campground, I almost kinda hate to mention it, but I KNOW they'll allow you to stay 3 months here (or forever from my observations!), and the price is much cheaper than Cherry Hill. We just stayed there for a week to visit DC, and found it decent and enjoyed our stay. (I only just found out about this site after our trip!) The camp is only about 10-15 mins away from a Metro station. They'll tell you to go to the New Carrollton station on the Orange Line (about 30 min away), but I discovered that's not the closest, and there's limited parking. I discovered that if you go North on Hwy 4 to the Suitland Parkway exit, and take Suitland Parkway W towards DC, get off on the Silver Springs Rd exit, and you'll be right at the Suitland Station on the Green line. There's a large parking garage there and plenty of parking on the top floor, even for your crewcab tow vehicle. (got to put the CB antenna down to get in the garage though).

Now, I had a decent enough stay, but I only stayed a week in the nicer transient camp area. If you're staying for 3 months, they'll probably put you back with the permenants, and that area was pretty rough. We can private email if you'll like more info - on the camp or on Metro info. I just submitted a review for this CG recently, and posted to the open roads forum about it. I'll copy my review here below:

I'll come to the defense of Duncan Family Campground in Maryland - located south of Baltimore, east of Washington DC which had previously had 2 negative comments in this thread. Previous comments were: Quote: "duncan family campground (maryland) camp at your risk!" and "Duncan Family Campground in Md. gives the word "family" a bad name. The Place was terrible!"

I just stayed there with my wife and 3 kids for a week the first week of April 2005 to visit DC, and we enjoyed it. Granted, the place wasn't the absolute best CG we've ever stayed at, but compared to some of the stories here it was decent. Positives - friendly staff, store was open reasonable hours, clean bathrooms, plenty of hot water, decent rates ($35), don't know about the pool since it was too early in the year, small putt putt golf range there looked decent. 4 Negatives - the site was a bit small and too close to your neighbor, would have like more space but I've seen worse. Cable hookup was dead. Gravel roads need more gravel - lots of mud puddles. Lots of permenant campers, and their sites weren't in the best shape, but again I've seen worse. The best sites (approx 6-10) seemed reserved for transients, and these were the ones closest to the road (uglier permenants were more deep in the CG, hiding them from view of the road). These sites weren't too bad, but some of the permenant sites seemed to be just mud pits. Luckily, the place wasn't crowded (only about 3-4 transients the week we were there) so we got one of the better transient sites. If we had to be stuck with the permenants, our opinion would probably differ!

Now - I've nothing against permenants, especially seasonals, but when a CG becomes essentially a trailer park for people who can't afford real trailer homes and live in a TT that has dry rotted tires that hasn't seen a road in years, and has junk piling around it in the mud, somehow having to camp next to that just dampens the vacation spirit.

To sum it up, I'd stay at this place again, but I'd make sure I got one of the nicer transient sites away from the permenants. If they'd put more gravel down and cleaned up the mud holes and had the permenants tidy up their sites, I think this place could be first rate.

9. philhoey

philhoey
    Expand Collapse

Since I live in the area I have never stayed there but most people seem to like Cherry Hill. There is a Jellystone Park in Williamsport, MD that has good reviews.

10. bonniesoo

bonniesoo
    Expand Collapse

We stayed in the KOA in Millersburg MD last year and found it very nice and the staff very friendly and helpful. There is a metro station about 10 min down the road to take you to DC. We would gladly stay there again. :rolleyes:

11. auslanderrasque

auslanderrasque
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(thrashercharged @ Apr 15 2005, 10:59 PM) [snapback]1962[/snapback]

Now - I've nothing against permenants, especially seasonals, but when a CG becomes essentially a trailer park for people who can't afford real trailer homes and live in a TT that has dry rotted tires that hasn't seen a road in years, and has junk piling around it in the mud, somehow having to camp next to that just dampens the vacation spirit.

I have read your comments and agree that Duncan's Family Campground is a horrible place to visit for any length of time.

However, I would like you to know that, unlike I'm assuming, most other RV parks, the permanents who live here are NOT poor, nor is it because they can't afford a home. Most of the people are here because they have government contracts (or other contracts) in the surrounding area. There are quite a few people here who have security clearances so high that this is all I'm allowed to say on the subject.

Most of the people who live here have home(s), yes I said HOME(S) - plural - in other states and do NOT wish to set up permanent residence in this god forsaken, badly run, joke of a state.

There was one guy, I do admit, that had an old jalopy that was rusty and worn, however, if you had taken just a second to talk to him, you would find out that he was spearheading a project most of us couldn't even fathom. If you spent just a minute with him, you would see that he was eccentric and proud of his RV (and the beat-up old beamer) that had been with him so many years.

I am sorry that you had such a poor experience among all the people who secretly run your world. Let's just say, if I told you what they did for a living, the men in black would show up at my door. And, I'm sorry you had to stay with all these destitute people who own homes all over the country. We're here because we're the best at what we do.

The only reason we stay at DFCG, is because overall it's cheaper, and when you have to make mortgage payments as well as pay rent, it's a good idea to save some money when you can.

Have a nice day in your little world, I'll be saving it tomorrow.....

12. conway

conway
    Expand Collapse

Duncan's Family Campground is the place to go. I stayed there while working in DC and have no complaints. Fair rates, short drive, and nice campground. Good luck

13. Wadcutter

Wadcutter
    Expand Collapse

Do you realize this thread is almost 5 years old?

14. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse