Water Damage In Rv

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by mastercraft, Jun 19, 2008.

1. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

Hello all you experts. I have a friend who wants to enter the RV world on a limited budget. He has found what I think might be a good deal, but just wanted to see what all you thought. He has found a used (2003) trailer that had some water damage in the roof area when the rubber ceiling and the seals went bad around a skylight over the shower area. The damage seems to be limited to the ceiling. Owner has already had the roof and seals replace, but just got divorced and wants to get rid of the trailer. Interior ceiling has significant damage around the skylight running to the airconditioning unit, but my friend has the skills to replace the entire ceiling of the unit. My questions are, what other damage should we look for, and what other concerns should we have? By the way, NADA value on the unit is over 5K, owner is asking around 2K.

2. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(mastercraft @ Jun 19 2008, 10:08 PM) [snapback]11955[/snapback]

Hello all you experts. I have a friend who wants to enter the RV world on a limited budget. He has found what I think might be a good deal, but just wanted to see what all you thought. He has found a used (2003) trailer that had some water damage in the roof area when the rubber ceiling and the seals went bad around a skylight over the shower area. The damage seems to be limited to the ceiling. Owner has already had the roof and seals replace, but just got divorced and wants to get rid of the trailer. Interior ceiling has significant damage around the skylight running to the airconditioning unit, but my friend has the skills to replace the entire ceiling of the unit. My questions are, what other damage should we look for, and what other concerns should we have? By the way, NADA value on the unit is over 5K, owner is asking around 2K.

Hey Mastercraft,

Mold and Black mold. Extremely health affecting. Look in the insulation.

Hope it works out,

3. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Our first RV was an older Fleetwood Class A which had sustained water damage along the window in the over-cab bed area. Purchased from So Cal LaMesa RV and they had resealed the entire window area. Nobody thought about mold, then. :ph34r:
    Generally used it for desert trips (single digit humidity) as week-end-warrior, boon-docking, windows wide-open (no internet) type camping.
    Not an expert...however, in retrospect... residual beasties could possibly explain the ever-so-faint, earthy-odd interior odor we could never identify after squeeky cleaning refrig and holding tanks...
    It's worth while to poke around the areas of the leak: check the wood for mold or fungus. You'll sleep easier!
    B)