Water While Traveling

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by campinkaz, Jul 14, 2010.

1. campinkaz

campinkaz
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,
    I'm new to the forum so sorry if this has been answered somewhere else. We are new to RV-ing and are going to be traveling around this summer mainly in the Banff and Jasper area in Alberta Canada, so we don't want to constantly haul water with us. Does anyone know if it is ok to fill your camper at the sani-dump sites or is there other places where you can just drive in to fill your trailers?
    Thanks

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

This is a good one. Most places have a sign that tells you not to fill your water tank at dump station. The water is OK but the hose is not in most cases. People will run water hose down the sewer hose to wash it out. You came along and fill your tank with this hose, bad news.

Most all parks have water bibs someplace in park you can use. Most have hose bibs on your site. Check the website before you pick a park to see if park has what you need.

3. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

We strongly second what John Blue says regarding using the water from the hoses at the sanitation or sewer wash-out stations. I have not personally conducted the testing: however suspect a spritz of Clorox just will not cut the bio-load in most cases.

Don't even rationalize regarding use for flushing toilets and taking a quick shower. You don't want e-coli in your eyes (shower) or in your mouth (brushing the teeth).

USUALLY, there is a safe water tap/bib/faucet somewhere close that you can use with MUCH more confidence. B)

4. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

You will most likely be using campgrounds a good bit of the time and should be able to use the water at your site. You really do need to carry some water with you "just in case". You never know when you might have a breakdown and need water for your radiator or to wash up after a repair. Also if you are sitting by the road you will need some water to cover your needs at that time. I would never consider traveling without a good bit of water in my tank.

5. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I used to worry about carrying around the extra water weight until I ran out. That isn't any fun. We boondock a lot and I usually start looking for water when we get down to a third or so. We have even had low water the reason for deciding to use a campground. Our coach weighs about 22,000 pounds and water weighs 8.3 pounds per gallon. Half a tank weighs about 200 pounds or less than my wife's 44 state rock collection. Don't let a minimal gas reduction run your vacation. When you get down to half a tank, fill up and enjoy the trip. We carry 3 25' white potable water hoses and occasionally need two and I am still waiting to use the third one which is still in the wrapper.

6. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Jul 16 2010, 03:59 PM) [snapback]23027[/snapback]

Our coach weighs about 22,000 pounds and water weighs 8.3 pounds per gallon. Half a tank weighs about 200 pounds or less than my wife's 44 state rock collection.

Did she ever see "The Long, Long Trailer"? :D

7. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Jul 16 2010, 12:59 PM) [snapback]23027[/snapback]

We carry 3 25' white potable water hoses and occasionally need two and I am still waiting to use the third one which is still in the wrapper.

3 hoses of 25 feet? I carry 3 hoses of only FIVE feet, and at the most I use two.......

JJ

8. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

I carry a 50 foot fabric "flat" hose and a 25 foot "standard" hose. It is barely enough to reach the out door tap at my home. I'd love to find a 10 footer for use in a campground.

JJ has given me an idea--two 5 footers would be even better.

Thanks JJ!

9. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I have had to use the second 25 footer probably at least 25 or more times. My wife thinkings the Long, Long Trailer is a training film. Those flat hoses have to be unrolled all the way to use. We camp in so many different places. Lots of them have weird hookups. Things like Electric or right front and water in left back. Toadless, you go to only nice places and stay to work. Our motto is cheap, cheap, cheap. We are staying at a Passport America in Perry, GA. People in front of us paid $35 and we were only $17.50.

10. revrnd

revrnd
    Expand Collapse

The 3 sani' dumps I've been at in Ontario prov' parks have a separate potable water hose on a stand away from the actual sewer opening (hose located adjacent). Mind you nothing to stop anyone from washing out their sewer hose (yuck) :wacko: .

11. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Jul 17 2010, 01:08 PM) [snapback]23033[/snapback]

Hi, I carry a 50 foot fabric "flat" hose and a 25 foot "standard" hose. It is barely enough to reach the out door tap at my home. I'd love to find a 10 footer for use in a campground.

JJ has given me an idea--two 5 footers would be even better.Thanks JJ!

Have you thought of making your own 5 footer by cutting an existing one down to size? You can find the hardware at Wal-Mart.

12. Trailer Park Casanova

Trailer Park Casanova
    Expand Collapse

We found many truck stops have an RV lane gas pump island that have both sanitary system flushing non-potable water, and if ya look around, you'll also find a potable water "bib" too. It's usually just outta reach of the flush station for obvious reasons.

Bacteria reacts like ants at a picnic,, so beware.

Our water heater safety lifted and we lost all our water in Death Valley.
    We found a Wal Mart in the near-by town of Parump that had purified water outta the machine for 25 cents a gallon.

It saved the trip for about 10 bucks and a hour of work.