Website Advertising

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by dog bone, Apr 18, 2011.

1. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

I thought this was brought up before, but couldn't find it. I'm getting advertising at the top of the forum page and bottom. It's anything from Myrtle Beach get aways to laundry detergents. Right now it's audible. com and adds by Google.

Is this a new thing or am I having the same problem as the other poster, which I can't find? It's not a biggy, just wondering.

2. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dog bone @ Apr 18 2011, 09:49 AM) [snapback]25899[/snapback]

I thought this was brought up before, but couldn't find it. I'm getting advertising at the top of the forum page and bottom. It's anything from Myrtle Beach get aways to laundry detergents. Right now it's audible. com and adds by Google.

Is this a new thing or am I having the same problem as the other poster, which I can't find? It's not a biggy, just wondering.

dog bone,

We are getting it too. Must be a way to pay the websites' bills, just as long as they do not sell our e-mail addresses to their advertisers, I guess it's their website and can do as they please.
    In my opinion the website has slipped badly in the last three + years, does not have the numbers using the site as in the past. Personally have been using this site for over 10+ years and is not like it was in the past.

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

You are correct on paying the bills. It cost a lot of money to run the site. The only other way to do this is to charge everyone to use the website and no one would be happy to see that take place. Do not understand the site moving down hill. Tons of upgrades have been added over the years and more will out very soon. Site has close to 42,000 registered members now. :)

4. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Apr 19 2011, 01:19 PM) [snapback]25907[/snapback]

You are correct on paying the bills. It cost a lot of money to run the site. The only other way to do this is to charge everyone to use the website and no one would be happy to see that take place. Do not understand the site moving down hill. Tons of upgrades have been added over the years and more will out very soon. Site has close to 42,000 registered members now. :)

John,

Granted there are 42,000 registered members, BUT how many are active..... can count all those who are using this site now, on one hand. I'm speaking of those who were very active in the past, along with myself. Would be very interesting to see just what that active membership number is.... Sorry but the truth is the truth. Just my observations and opinion.

5. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Butch,

Yes, I know the count is high and lots of people drop in and out of system all the time. Have you looked at the number of guest that visit this site? That would overcome the ones that have drop out due to changes in life. :)

6. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

Is Butch talking about the campground reviews or the forum?

7. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Denali @ Apr 19 2011, 07:22 PM) [snapback]25913[/snapback]

Is Butch talking about the campground reviews or the forum?

Denali,(Dave)

I'm speaking about the forum. There are a number of campground reviewers, who never post to the forum. None of the members that I had conversed with, are active now. Seems to me that there is rotation, or should I say influx, of menbers that are here for a while then they move on to something else. Thus the membership number does not reflect the true number of active members. Just imagine that say half of that 42,000 were active on this or any site, the site could not contain them, and the website, server would fail. Would venture a guess, and it is only a guess, or should I say,"observation", that there are less than 10 active members on any one day, on a average on the "forum". Just a note, John spoke to the fact, have I noticed the number(s), of guest using the site, well the guest are not members, so they can not post reviews, nor post to the forum, they are only reading the cg reviews. Their numbers are not in that 42,000. Enough said, hope you enjoy your day.

thanks for allowing me to voice
    my opinion & observations,

Butch

8. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

I hadn't even noticed the ads until it was mentioned. Well, I guess I did, I just didn't pay much attention to them as most sites I go on have ads. What ever it takes to keep this site up and running as I use it a lot when planning my travels. Being a full timer it helps. We wintered in Texas and will spend the summer in Northern Wisconsin.

9. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

I am not sure what difference it makes how many members are actually active. What matters to me is that there ARE active members. Sure, some people come and go but that's what makes the forum interesting. The same people posting day in and day out would get old and boring.

10. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Advertising is the way the internet is paid. We learn to not look. At least it doesn't cover up anything important.

11. Travelin Sam

Travelin Sam
    Expand Collapse

This is a wonderful site and if a banner across the top of the page advertises Myrtle Beach or anything else, it is fine with me. Once you scroll down it is out of sight. Many, many refer RVers to this site. It is the reviews that they come for. The forum is secondary and I find few general RV forums that are very active lately.

12. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(1775 @ Apr 24 2011, 04:00 PM) [snapback]25933[/snapback]
    This is a wonderful site and if a banner across the top of the page advertises Myrtle Beach or anything else, it is fine with me.

I couldn't agree with you more. I can't tell the information I have gotten off this site. I started getting the adverising and remembered a post awhile back about it. I think I remember anyway. I wasn't getting them back then. I thought I just was having a problem, like the op.

Years ago there was quite a few active members that I haven't seen post in quite sometime. Beastmaster, Cheryl, just to name a couple. I hope they are still camping and to busy to post. I know we have gotten a few new faces here and that's a good thing. Me, I just keep hanging around in the background. I'm here just about every day. Just read and post once in awhile.

Webmaster, just keep doing what your doing and thanks. The rest of you out there, thanks also. You probably helped me out one time or another or might in the future, even if it's for a good laugh. I've had them too.

13. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Webmaster, just keep doing what your doing and thanks. The rest of you out there, thanks also. You probably helped me out one time or another or might in the future, even if it's for a good laugh. I've had them too.
    [/quote]

Ditto from me too. I check in every day mostly to read the poor reviews. I usually get a laugh out of them every once in a while. I post in the forum when I think I have something useful to say but thats not all that often. I don't mind the ads. I do take note of them. If they are helping to keep this site alive, I will patronize when or if I can.

Darrell & Jerry
    Can't wait to full time

14. coacbcps

coacbcps
    Expand Collapse

I love this site! I will admit that I haven't posted anything for probably a year. In the beginning I posted a lot because I was new to camping and I had a lot of questions. This site was a wonderful resource for me during that time. Now that I have a few years under my belt (two to be exact :D ) I don't have as many questions. I do come to the site and read what's going on though. I have recommended this site to others and I check the reviews before I book a campground. I am glad that people still post reviews. For the most part, that is more important than the forum, afterall, the website is called RV Park Reviews.

15. oscardiggs

oscardiggs
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(coacbcps @ Apr 28 2011, 09:35 AM) [snapback]25966[/snapback]

I love this site! I will admit that I haven't posted anything for probably a year. In the beginning I posted a lot because I was new to camping and I had a lot of questions. This site was a wonderful resource for me during that time. Now that I have a few years under my belt (two to be exact :D ) I don't have as many questions. I do come to the site and read what's going on though. I have recommended this site to others and I check the reviews before I book a campground. I am glad that people still post reviews. For the most part, that is more important than the forum, afterall, the website is called RV Park Reviews.

My home base is the park in Salado Tx.I read the reviews and forum every day or two. :) I add seldom because everybody here are fast and smart and give a variety opinion and facts. B)
    The advert's are welcome to me as I am able to see and get to the site for free.I take short trips for short time periods and depend on the reviews. :D
    oscar

16. MelindaK

MelindaK
    Expand Collapse

I love this site too! I recommend it all the time. I use the reviews for selecting campgrounds and I post occassionally to the forum when I have questions. I check out both the reviews and forum when I have time to look at the site. I had noticed the ads and figured it was a way for the website to make a little money which is a common thing. As long as there are no pop up windows I am okay with the ads. I noticed posts to the forum has been low, but I figured that was because it was winter.

Keep up the good job!

Melinda

17. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

It has been aptly said that "you can't please everyone all of the time.'

Just be glad that the commercials don't come with sound.

18. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

They got to pay for the web sight some way.Keep up the good work.I read your reviews on every camp sight we go to that we have not been to.Very helpful when looking for a place to camp.we camp some where all most every month and I do wright reviews but a lot of the places we go I have all ready made a review or some one else has the same month that felt the same way I did.No use in taking up space if nothing to add to what is there all ready. :D