West Virginia Campgrounds

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by boater, Apr 16, 2006.

1. boater

boater
    Expand Collapse

does anyone know anything about lake stephens campground (raleigh county park) in beckley west virginia. we are planning a trip up into ohio, indiana and illinois starting about june first, and this looks like about the only possibility for an overnighter for us.
    thanks
    boater

2. Meterman46

Meterman46
    Expand Collapse

Not sure if this helps I have never been there but I did find this on the reveiws site

Good Luck

Beckley

Campground Name: Lake Stephens Campground
    Campground's website: http://www.lakestephenswv.com/campground.htm
    Years visited: 2002
    Number of sites: 100
    Hookups: Electric: yes 50 AMP: no Water: yes Sewer: yes
    Cable TV: no
    Telephone hookup at site: no
    Modem hookup in office: no WiFi wireless internet: ?
    Shade trees: yes
    Waterfront sites: yes-lake
    Pull Thru sites: yes
    Big Rig access: yes
    Swimming Pool: no
    Clean restrooms: yes Clean showers: yes
    Pets allowed: yes
    Tents allowed: yes
    Family type: yes
    Nightly rate $: 20
    All Ratings (1=poor 10=excellent): 10

Campers comments:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We absolutely love this campground. The layout and scenery are both excellent. We are new to RVing. Just started last year and have been here a couple times. Campground is approximately 9 miles from Beckley. The Lake Stephens Campground offers 100 RV Campsites and 27 Tent sites. The Camp store, located at the camp area entrance, offers ice, wood, propane ,and camping basics. The RV Camp area has shower house, play area, basketball, and full hook-ups. The Tent Camp area is located next to the Camp store with shower and restroom facilities. Each site offers parking for two vehicles, tent site, and picnic table. Campground is opened year round with electricity the only utility available in RV campground October 15 to April 15. Campground stays are also limited to 14 days during this time period. Campground fees are also reduced during this off-season period. We camped here in a Travel Trailer in 2002

3. pugster

pugster
    Expand Collapse

I've been to Lake Stephens campground and found it to be "ok". The sites are very close together with parking on the road. It is very difficult to sit outside or put your awning out. May I offer an alternative. Go down I64 east to exit 133 and head for the Shady Rest RV park. You will not be disappointed. Steve and Sonja are outstanding people. Getting into the campground can be a little scary but not to worry. Just stay on the road and you will be high on the mountain, above the 64 traffic in an open field with full hookups (I know because I helped put them in). If I sound biased, it is because I am. Spend the last two summers there and enjoyed greatly.

4. wandering palms

wandering palms
    Expand Collapse

We just spent three nights at the Beckley Coal Mine Campground, which is at the city park about three miles off of the Interstate. It was a very nice park, the sites are a little tight but there were a few big rigs in there that didn't seen to have any problems. If you have the time they offer a tour of the coal mine, this is the only coal mine in the USA that offers a tour.

Beckley Coal Mine Campground

Try this link, click on attractions, then campground for info

5. Janjanjan68

Janjanjan68
    Expand Collapse

We did the coal mine tour and found it wonderful. Not only did we learn about coal mining, which works entirely differently than I had always envisioned it, I also got some insight into how/why the coal mines in Pennsylvania and other states functioned as a incubator for labor organization. It is easy to see from both the miners' and the owners' perspectives when you take the tour. Owners invested in new equipment which dramatically improved productivity but miners had always been paid based on productivity and felt entitled to some of the benefits of this improvement. Made perfect sense and was one the best lessons of applied economics I've ever had! :)