What Gps Do You Have? Are You Happy With It?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by zingy, May 20, 2009.

1. zingy

zingy
    Expand Collapse

I used to have a TomTom LS 130, I think it was. The text-to-speech 4.3" screen.

Frustrating things with it was:
    one could update only within 30 days for free,
    one had to buy a memory card to put it in to have room to install the updates,
    no useful RV info as a point of interest.

The campgrounds POI was sometimes useful.

Need to buy a new GPS.
    What one you do you have?
    Would you recommend it?
    How much was it?
    What's good about it?
    What's frustrating about it?
    3.5 inch or 4.3 inch.
    Battery life ok?

Thanks!

2. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I have a Magellan. It's a simple one. It was around $150 and it works even in cloudy days and through the tunnels!

I previously had a more complex Magellan, and it would lose the signal on cloudy days. But what I liked about it, it had the "where am I currently" feature. Poke the screen and it would give your current position. My current Magellan doesn't have that. (but then again, it was only $150..., the previous one was around $300...)

I haven't tried to update my current Magellan, but I think I can "update" as long as the product is supported.

JJ

3. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Zingy,

I prefer laptop based gps programs. I chose Microsoft Streets & Trips. It can be found on Ebay with a gps antenna for prices as low as $45.00 from time to time.

There are several other laptop based gps programs as well.

4. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ May 20 2009, 08:31 PM) [snapback]16506[/snapback]

Hi Zingy,

I prefer laptop based gps programs. I chose Microsoft Streets & Trips. It can be found on Ebay with a gps antenna for prices as low as $45.00 from time to time.

There are several other laptop based gps programs as well.

Hi, if you referring to the Microsoft streets & trips I had it too but, first I had to put it in the drawer because, in Canada, you cannot have a computer screen at the driver's side and second, yes it was very good until you were approaching a big city and suddenly the graphic planned in the computer was going erratic. I had to change it for these two reasons and now I am quite happy with the Magellan Crossover.

5. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

I find MS Streets & Trips very useful for trip planning, but I have used Garmin Street Pilot GPSs for actual navigating because they can easily live on the dash of whatever vehicle I am driving. My current one is several years old and way out of production, so the model number would not be helpful to you.

Map updates for the Garmins come out only every year or two, and they aren't free either. With a 2 GB card, all of North America fits in mine.

The one time I used S & T for live navigation was on our last winter in Mexico. S & T 2009 has far better Mexico coverage than anything else out there--street detail in every little town.

6. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,

I use Microsoft Streets and Trips. I enjoy being able to save the bread crumb trails for my business and I find it a great tool for planning trips.

One thing I don't understand is why both online mapping programs and programs such as Streets and Trips don't use different colors for the various kinds of roads--for example the so called "red roads" that I love so much.

7. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

I use Rand Mc Nally road atlas. $8.95 at walmart. I also use the Good Sam trip routing with a grain of salt with the atlas. Works good for me. Last time I used a borrowed GPS router I got lost.

8. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Galli,

That depends on which Province you visit. It is legal where I live. (Saskatchewan). Also Streets and Trips will do voice directions so one could blank the screen and leave it running. That would be legal.

QUOTE(Galli @ Jun 3 2009, 05:27 PM) [snapback]16785[/snapback]

Hi, if you referring to the Microsoft streets & trips I had it too but, first I had to put it in the drawer because, in Canada, you cannot have a computer screen at the driver's side and second, yes it was very good until you were approaching a big city and suddenly the graphic planned in the computer was going erratic. I had to change it for these two reasons and now I am quite happy with the Magellan Crossover.

9. KentuckyCampin

KentuckyCampin
    Expand Collapse

I have a Magellan GPS map60csx and love it. Great reception and it works in the middle of the woods in the summer time with full canopy above. I bought it for Geocaching, and I use it for backpacking and road trips as well. I also have purchased multiple state Gazetteers printed by Delorme for the state I plan to travel in. Great combination!!
    The magellan was pretty high, $385 about 2 years ago. The newest one out now I believe is the Colorado. Looks pretty neat, but mine is still working great and I love it.

10. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Jun 4 2009, 01:23 PM) [snapback]16801[/snapback]

Hi Galli,

That depends on which Province you visit. It is legal where I live. (Saskatchewan). Also Streets and Trips will do voice directions so one could blank the screen and leave it running. That would be legal.

You caught me ! I apology, I should have mentioned Ontario for sure, however, I know that other provinces too