What Is The Issue With Tree Limbs?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Nov 18, 2008.

1. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I have read some reviews where the reviewer ranted and raved about "low hanging tree limbs." Ok, I have run through some of those..... no damage that I could see...... But then again, I have a hard roof. I can see how a rubber roof might possibly get ripped or something.... Am I right? Or is there some other type of damage that can occur? Should I, too, rant and rave about low hanging tree limbs?

JJ

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Low tree limbs can be a problem. On the people who have rubber roofs you can cut a hole in it, water leaks will soon be a mess to fix. On hard roofs less trouble but you can remove items like the A/C unit cover, air horns, radio ant's, TV bat wing, vent covers, and anything that is on roof if limb is good size. Best not to hit limbs if possible or you will need to stop for repair work.

3. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Ok, that makes sense. I usually check after I hit a tree limb and no damage so far....

JJ

4. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi JJ,

In the first year I had my beloved Class C a nasty Balm of Gilead tree took offense to my Bat Wing Antenna. Even though the antenna was trying to be a good boy and laying right flat on the roof it got bent completely out of shape.

I wish I had not bothered to replace it. It was cheaper to get a whole new install than to have the bent parts replaced. Poorest $400.00 repair I have every paid for as I've not watched ten hours of TV in the RV in the last five years.

5. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

I will not use a campground that has these type obstructions. If that CG does not have the forethought and courtesy to respect my RV by removing those branches, then it gives me concern about their voltage, water, site levels, and over all customer service. State parks are a classic example. The ones with the most overhanging tree branches seem to have the most other negative issues as well.

Consider yourself lucky if you haven’t at least lost an exhaust vent cap to a tree limb. That is a cheap repair, but if the vent tube is torn from the roof, it won’t be.

DXSMac> Would you allow me to come to your house and drag tree limbs across it’s siding after which I’ll work on your cars? Perhaps that would help with the rant/raving decision.

If that won't, then just do it for the rest of us. The squeeky wheel gets the grease.

6. westernrvparkowner

westernrvparkowner
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RLM @ Nov 19 2008, 03:37 PM) [snapback]14008[/snapback]

I will not use a campground that has these type obstructions. If that CG does not have the forethought and courtesy to respect my RV by removing those branches, then it gives me concern about their voltage, water, site levels, and over all customer service. State parks are a classic example. The ones with the most overhanging tree branches seem to have the most other negative issues as well.

Consider yourself lucky if you haven’t at least lost an exhaust vent cap to a tree limb. That is a cheap repair, but if the vent tube is torn from the roof, it won’t be.

DXSMac> Would you allow me to come to your house and drag tree limbs across it’s siding after which I’ll work on your cars? Perhaps that would help with the rant/raving decision.

If that won't, then just do it for the rest of us. The squeeky wheel gets the grease.

I agree, as an owner of a park I feel it is my responsibility to keep my drives and sites clear of pretruding limbs. However, it is a very tough balancing act. You would not believe the number of customers who request a shady site and then complain vigorously about how the site feels tight or they cannot get satellite or tree sap gets on their rigs, or leaves are falling onto the awnings. All that being said, The campground cannot be responsible for guests driving where they shouldn't or them just being unaware of they are doing. The ultimate responsibility lies with the RV owner for any damage caused when they are driving.

7. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Oh JJ... :huh:
    It's not just the top of your RV that can take a hit from a seemingly innocent tree branch. Never ceases to amaze me how much stuff resides on the exterior of our RV homes. Just takes a brushing from a low hanging branch to dislodge ALL KINDS of fittings and attachments. They'll all LOOK fine when parked.
    You'll just begin to hear new thumping, rattling noises at hiway speeds. AND...if you are lucky, some passers-by on the roadways will wave and point at your roof as you pass. Yikes!
    Suffice to say...you've been blessed my dear! ;)

8. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

OK, from now on I will include in my reviews, rants and raves about tree limbs.

Thanks for the information everyone

JJ

9. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(westernrvparkowner @ Nov 19 2008, 01:50 PM) [snapback]14011[/snapback]

You would not believe the number of customers who request a shady site and then complain vigorously about how the site feels tight or they cannot get satellite or tree sap gets on their rigs, or leaves are falling onto the awnings.

Oh, yes I would. So here’s a suggestion. Let the trees grow to the point where a rabbit couldn’t go, but are rigged to part like the red sea when a RV enters. Insure that they provide complete shade and block rain, but are of a material that allows satellite signals to penetrate. While you are at it, can you add wireless electricity and no hose sewer to the CG? I won’t have to plug all of that up.

10. Lee and Fran

Lee and Fran
    Expand Collapse

JJ you have seen my rig, heck the moving veiw tv dome 3000, the satellite internet 6000, the two air conditioners 1800 each, just to name a few of the items that low limbs could remove off the rig and leave holes and tears to ruin a day in a little rain.

11. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lee and Fran @ Nov 20 2008, 09:03 PM) [snapback]14036[/snapback]

JJ you have seen my rig, heck the moving veiw tv dome 3000, the satellite internet 6000, the two air conditioners 1800 each, just to name a few of the items that low limbs could remove off the rig and leave holes and tears to ruin a day in a little rain.

Oh yes. And that one park I met you at, you were right to take the center away from the trees. So far, I'm just trying to keep stuff simple. I haven't "added" anything to the top.

Oh, I supposed tree limbs could wreck a lot of havoc on solar panels......

JJ

12. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RLM @ Nov 20 2008, 02:05 PM) [snapback]14030[/snapback]

... If you just keep the access roads clear, I can handle the rest...

Amen!
    You travel with tree pruners too...??? Ha!!!
    :lol: