Which state park is best in Oregon

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Canadiancruiser, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Canadiancruiser

Canadiancruiser
    Expand Collapse

We're planning a month long trip from Canada to the Oregon Coast in July. We are going to stay a few days in Astoria, Newport, Coos Bay and Brookings. Could someone recommend a good state park around each of these areas? Is it still possible to get reservation for a full hookup site at any of these parks? I've looked at Cape Lookout state park for the beginning of July online and it seems already booked up? Is that correct?

I haven't had any experience with reserving campsite through the Oregon State Park and Recreation Department. How much do they charge if you have to reschedule your date? I'm just afraid that when we book, we are only estimating our time of arrival, and what if we are behind schedule and have to come later by a couple days? Could you call them a few days in advance and cancel without penalties?

2. midnightstar

midnightstar
    Expand Collapse

Do not know all their rules about reservations but I do know that you will need one during the summer months at all State Parks. Ask what they need and their cancellation policy when you call them.
    Look up all State Parks on the Oregon State Parks web. We have stayed in several of them along the coast, and loved them all. Have not found a full hookup at any of them tho. But they all seem to have a dump station and if you are near the restrooms,and use them alot, you shouldn't have to dump so often. That is what we do.
    Enjoy your trip.
    Oh yes, the parks do fill up early during the summer months, so get your reservations in ASAP.

3. genestoy

genestoy
    Expand Collapse

Bullard's Beach State Park in Bandon, OR (just south of Coos Bay) has full hookup sites, but not all of them are in the park and is near the ocean and the wonderful little coastal town of Bandon and this park is VERY popular in the summer, so make those reservations! ;)

4. lwharton

lwharton
    Expand Collapse

Fort Stevens, near Astoria, is really nice. Full hookups, good trails to beach. Historical sites, and a great maritime museum in Astoria will provide lots to do.

5. Canadiancruiser

Canadiancruiser
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the replies and suggestions! It seems that the Oregon State Park reservation system through Reserveamerica.com charges $6 US every time you making a booking, change, or cancelation. I made the mistake of booking only one night when I wanted two, so I had to book another night separately and pay another $6. Whoops. Make sure you book carefully since there's not much option to change things unless you don't mind paying the fees each time.

6. kennard04

kennard04
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Canadiancruiser @ Mar 5 2005, 11:43 PM)
    We're planning a month long trip from Canada to the Oregon Coast in July. We are going to stay a few days in Astoria, Newport, Coos Bay and Brookings. Could someone recommend a good state park around each of these areas? Is it still possible to get reservation for a full hookup site at any of these parks? I've looked at Cape Lookout state park for the beginning of July online and it seems already booked up? Is that correct?

I haven't had any experience with reserving campsite through the Oregon State Park and Recreation Department. How much do they charge if you have to reschedule your date? I'm just afraid that when we book, we are only estimating our time of arrival, and what if we are behind schedule and have to come later by a couple days? Could you call them a few days in advance and cancel without penalties?

Persoanlly I would not stay at Fort Stevens unless it's off season, or mid week. Although it's a beautiful park there are alot of less than desirables there on big weekends. Right across the street from Fort Stevens is a KOA, it's more money but there are paved sites, RV sites and then tent sites that are all separate. A free beach shuttle runs every hour with tours of Ft Stevens and the beach.

If you are a TT or whoever owns them now member just south of Newport Oregon is a beautiful CG. Whalers Cove or Whalers rest or something, no beach views but a gorgeous CG.

Mayfield dam has a CG that's a TT or Leisure Time or similar called Paradise. It's built on a hill so take that into consideration and the road gets dusty, but, this is an A-1 CG for kids and adults. Mini golf, fishing, bowling (outdoor) two huge pools (the rules are strict for kids in the hot tubs, but that's OK) but best is the weekend entertainment. Karaoke, live music, dancing, kids crafts, on and on and on, all free or a buck or two for craft supplies. It is by far our favorite.

Feel free to e-mail me, I've been all over Wa and Or in CG's, Ken