Why Is Diesel More Expensive Than Gas?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by RL36, Oct 24, 2008.

1. RL36

RL36
    Expand Collapse

For the longest time diesel was always cheaper than gas. For some time now Diesel has been significantly higher than gas, Why? I was just wondering, does anyone out there know why. I sure don't !!!!

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

RL36

I think the oil companies look at number of gals used by heavy trucks, trains, ships, road equipment, and more and more engines moving over to diesel. Also you get more gals of diesel from a drum of oil than gas with less cost to make. So you can make more dollars off our poor backs. I wish I had a couple of TX oil wells now. :lol:

3. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(John Blue @ Oct 24 2008, 09:52 PM) [snapback]13671[/snapback]

RL36

I think the oil companies look at number of gals used by heavy trucks, trains, ships, road equipment, and more and more engines moving over to diesel. Also you get more gals of diesel from a drum of oil than gas with less cost to make. So you can make more dollars off our poor backs. I wish I had a couple of TX oil wells now. :lol:

I'm sorry but your figures are wrong, look here to see what comes out of a drum of oil
    oil breakdown

4. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

It is mostly a question of supply and demand. As fuel prices rose, the use of gasoline fell due to more careful use of fuels, more use of public transportation and fewer discretionary driving miles. On the other hand, the majority of diesel is used by trucks, buses, heavy machinery and farm equipment. None of those users have the choice to do other than continue to buy the fuels if they wish to stay in business. For that reason, the demand for diesel has not fallen like it has for gasoline.

5. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Maybe it's just my state, but when I check prices, Diesel has ALWAYS been more expensive than gas. Now, last year, there was a brief period where Diesel was cheaper. This must be a state by state thing having to do with taxes, but except for a brief period last year, I don't EVER remember Diesel being cheaper than gas.

I'm in Washington State.

JJ

6. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi JJ,

When I first got my Class C diesel six years ago the price differential was that diesel fuel was 75% of the cost of gasoline. When ultra low sulphur fuel was mandated the price of diesel became more than the cost of gasoline.

7. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

I have read that the ultra low sulpher is the reason and that many of the new cars in Asia and Europe are desel whch has increase the deman. I have also read that this won't change and may even get worse in the future.

8. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

Ultra low sulfur is part of the reason. You get less heat content out of it and a small decrease in milage. THat means we need to use more. ALso the extra refining means less diesel from the same barrel and then you have an increase in use of diesel overseas. Infact it is more profitable to refine diesel here and ship it overseas for power plants and industrial uses.

9. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

The EPA's overly strict regulation for diesel emissions requires extra refining issues for overseas suppliers. They can sell a gallon of crude to other developing nation's without incurring extra cost which then lowers the US supply.

10. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

PS: Thank you TREE HUGGERS!!!!!!

11. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi RLM,

Those tree huggers may be the key to saving the planet.

QUOTE(RLM @ Oct 29 2008, 09:00 PM) [snapback]13723[/snapback]

PS: Thank you TREE HUGGERS!!!!!!

12. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Oct 29 2008, 11:30 PM) [snapback]13726[/snapback]

Hi RLM,

Respectfully, scientist/rational environmentalist will 'save' the planet. There is a major difference in the two.

13. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Oct 30 2008, 01:30 AM) [snapback]13726[/snapback]

Hi RLM,

The planet has been here for 4 plus billion years, humans for about 100,000 I am willing to bet mankind will need saving, not the Planet.

14. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Good perspective...but sure is nice that mankind is starting to pay attention. :ph34r:

15. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Not widely printed in the media, but the earth has not warmed since 1998. European governments are dropping the compliance to the global warming carbon taxes and carbon credits in mass. Eastern Europe, Russia, and most of Asia has already done so. If we continue to believe in this largely unproven myth, our country will be paying double for it's energy and we will be nearly alone in the world doing so. But then again, this isn’t the place for this discussion.