Wi-Fi Ripoffs

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by beastdriver, Mar 21, 2004.

1. beastdriver

beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

We are noticing, more and more, that some greedy campground owners are taking out the customary free modem connection and insisting that you use a Wi-Fi system at anywhere from $10 to $15 weekly, or $3.00 to $4.00 daily. It doesn't matter to us because we have a MotoSat system that allows us to connect to the internet anywhere, but this appears to be another example of where greedy campground owners are reducing services and increasing prices. For those who depend on internet connections, I would suggest you inquire about modem accomodations when you make a reservation and, whenever possible. refuse to stay at a park that does not continue to offer free modem connections even if it offers Wi-Fi. Campground rates at many locations are already approaching motel rates and this industry is eventually going to kill the goose! :( :( :(

2. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

I don't believe campground owners are greedy because they are no longer offering "free" modem connection...I can't believe any offered it in the first place...they (the campground owners) don't get their connection for free so why would anyone think they should offer it free to the customers staying at the campground?????

I don't have to worry about this either...because I leave my laptop at home where it belongs when I'm going camping....in fact that's one of the reasons why I go camping...to escape the computers, phones, tv's, dvd's, cd's, etc...!!! :D

3. Guest_wilbur&wife

Guest_wilbur&wife
    Expand Collapse

We fulltime RV and have yet to visit a park that charges extra for WiFi. We are currently in a park in Oregon that includes WiFi for free and will let you use their business phone for a modem connection if that is all you have. Sorry Beasty, but I disagree with your conclusion that parks are charging for WiFi because they're greedy. :ph34r:

4. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Beastdriver,

Well well what is next out here? We have land line, cell line, and WiFi for laptop and at times all are a problem. We need to sent and rec. emails due to long times on the roads, three months on this trip. You are correct on some services, we see pay phone lines removed and other services gone. People use cell phones now and pay phones are gone and may never return again.

Park owners have had a couple hard years due to low number of RV people on the road. I think we may see more park owners add WiFi services and land lines for RV people to use in time. As you point out read the information before you travel to a site and see if this is what you want. State parks have only a nice site to park in, no phone problems here.

We all need to keep in mind that everything has a cost. I like your internet system the best.

5. Vicki

Vicki
    Expand Collapse

I found that most public libraries have computers you can use for free to get your email while you are on the road. Hubby just bought me a laptop for Valentines Day this year. So now I get to look for modem friendly parks.

6. freedomrider

freedomrider
    Expand Collapse

The last four parks we've visited have taken out their free modem telephone connection and instituted a wi-fi daily or weekly fee. We will not stay at parks in the future that do not offer free telephone connections for modems, and would urge others to do the same.

7. ggainer2003

ggainer2003
    Expand Collapse

A park owner has a choice. Increase the daily rate for everyone to cover WIFI and or free mod. hookup. Or, charge those of us who use it a daily or weekly fee. I like a freebe as much as the next guy but lets be fair. Why shouldn't those of us using the service pay for it? There is no free lunch.

8. bald guy

bald guy
    Expand Collapse

I disagree with the previous post. I don't use the swimming pool, nor do I use the kiddie swings, etc., but I expect such things to be part of the campground fee, especially when they have been included in the past. I am not opposed to paying for Wi-Fi, if I choose to use it, but, at the same time, I believe a telephone line should be made available to guests who can then call their 800 nuimber or their local access number to reach the internet and check messages. Campground owners are tacking on more and more little fees, reducing services, taking away things that used to be part of the camping fee, and generally increasing prices to where it costs almost as much to park a travel trailer and use the facilities as it does to stay in a nice motel.

9. Chalet

Chalet
    Expand Collapse

There is a very old expression which I believe is still true. "You get what you pay for"
    We stay in what we call "campgrounds" but apparently there are a large number out there that a 5 star resort would better suit their purpose. They do tend to be a bit pricey though

10. seabirdrv

seabirdrv
    Expand Collapse

Well this is an RV Park owner that has always offered a free dial up modem connection for our guests. Our park also has high speed cable access through our local cable company. Installation is free and the monthly rate is $34.95. The only benefit that we see from that is a referral discount for each RV site expanded basic cable TV package that we provide for Free to our guests.

For a while we even offered FREE use of a nice Dell computer connected to a local ISP for people to check email and browse the internet. Then one of our guests thought they would like to have the computer and ripped the computer, security cable and all right from the wall in broad daylight. We still provide the free
    modem line for guests to use but now all guests must provide their own computer equipment.

Sheila
    Sea Bird RV Park
    :)

11. RedHatter_B

RedHatter_B
    Expand Collapse

I would like to know more about MotoSat system, cost, where to get it, is it hard to set up....etc. :rolleyes:

12. furdy 5 futter

furdy 5 futter
    Expand Collapse

Set up by a dealer (only), costs around $5000.00 upfront and then $99.00 a month, many, many bugs, old generation Direcway software with lots of problems, hardware is great, built like a battleship, not in-motion, won't shoot through trees for the most part you need a very clear shot at south sky (moreso than TV satellite), rumors abound that a new,less expensive technology is coming around from competitors but I don't know nuthin. ...ask the guy with holes in the roof of his prevost.

13. RedHatter_B

RedHatter_B
    Expand Collapse

Since I last wrote, we were in a park in Morgan Hills and found an installer with Direcway and bought a system from him. Terrific, it is portable, sets up quickly without tools, runs with the DW6000 modem, we have it going through a D-Link router and have three computers connected to the Internet wireless. We are very pleased, monthly fee is $59.00.

14. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

As an owner of a MotoSat system ($6,000), I would like to know more about this portable system that costs only $59.00 per month. Can you tell me if they have a website, or where I can get more info. Thanks! (PS--I like the MotoSat system, have had few problems, and get really high speeds, but, if there is a better mousetrap out there.......)

15. zmenchhofer

zmenchhofer
    Expand Collapse

starband has now released a new system for us RVers I have starband at home now i can take it rving with me!!!

http://www.starband.com

16. RedHatter_B

RedHatter_B
    Expand Collapse

If you want to know more about the portable unit, go to http://maxwellsatellite.com/ or call Glenn or Margo at 1-800-860-6070
    Tell them Barb and Don @ Morgan Hill send you...
    ;)

We have put the system up and down now half dozen times without problems, monthly fee is $59, we love it! We are at Yosemite right now, no cell service but we have the Internet and email.

:lol:

17. ekpate

ekpate
    Expand Collapse

:D We just returned home to Fl. after a 6 week cross country trip. We found that most campgrounds have free dial up modem available to all guest, you supply the cable. The few that did have WiFi were almost always in or near large towns or cities. Maybe 2 of the parks we stayed at the WiFi was free, however we were just happy to find parks that had WiFi at all and were more than happy to pay a few bucks a night to check bank accounts and email family.

WiFi is nice to have but we travel with children and when it comes to selecting a campground WiFi free or not will loose over a pool and playground anyday.

18. Sal_Workamper

Sal_Workamper
    Expand Collapse

Here's a list of verified, FREE WiFi (yes Matilda, free and in the comfort of your rv) KOAs:

Point South, SC
    Anderson/Lake Hartwell, SC

Bristol/Kingsport, TN
    Chattanooga South, TN/GA

Fayetteville/Wade, NC

Hagerstown/Snug Harbor, MD

Natural Bridge/Lexington, VA
    Staunton/Verona, VA

Louisville South, KY
    Bowling Green, KY

Springfield, IL
    Chicago NW, IL

Rochester/Marion, MN

St. Ignace/Mackinac Isaland, MI

Hayti/Portageville, MO

Their actual locations can be found here KOA Website

S. :D

19. Timelode

Timelode
    Expand Collapse

We normally prefer rustic, state park type camping. However, we just returned from a two week trip that took us from the mid-west to the Pacific coast. We put on almost 6000 miles. We wanted hotel style conveniences and hookups so we could easily use our trailer's facilities, so we stayed in RV parks along the way. We took our laptop with us, not so much for Internet access, but to store photos. My hobby is photography and I have a nice digital SLR. That translates into many gigabytes of files.

What we did find was that when WIFI is offered, there is a mix of free and nominal charges. I didn't think that the $4 per day or $12 per week charged was excessive. Not everyone needs or wants WIFI so I don't have an issue paying for it. You also have to realize that there is not only a monthly fee that the park has to pay for, they usually have to pay to have the infrasturcture put in. That is the router and wireless access points. Not terrribly expensive, but the cost is there non-the-less.

We really didn't take advatage of the WIFI except to check weather.com, but while making changes to our itinerary, I could see the value in being able to check woodalls.com and campgroundreviews.com. However, having any kind of Internet access is not going to sway our decision to stay somewhere or not. Reputation, general facilities, and cleanliness are the more important criteria.

20. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(seabirdrv @ Jun 15 2004, 08:11 PM)
    Well this is an RV Park owner that has always offered a free dial up modem connection for our guests. Our park also has high speed cable access through our local cable company. Installation is free and the monthly rate is $34.95. The only benefit that we see from that is a referral discount for each RV site expanded basic cable TV package that we provide for Free to our guests.

For a while we even offered FREE use of a nice Dell computer connected to a local ISP for people to check email and browse the internet. Then one of our guests thought they would like to have the computer and ripped the computer, security cable and all right from the wall in broad daylight. We still provide the free
    modem line for guests to use but now all guests must provide their own computer equipment.

Sheila
    Sea Bird RV Park
    :)
    [snapback]825[/snapback]

I sympathize with your problem Sheila, unfortunately when dealing with the public, you will always encounter some one not educated or destructive and this, unfortunately, is becoming part of the cost to run a business.
    I understand that you were providing the use of a computer at not extra cost and I believe that, this extra facility without a management control on the unit, was not a wise thing to do. An RVier in need of being regularly in contact with the outside world, should be equipped with the necessary tools for it.
    I have been staying in different campgrounds in the USA and Canada and most of them provide the Internet wireless service only, yes, most of them do provide access to their own Internet and computer but only under the supervision of staff and within specific time frame.
    I hope that this experience will not bring you to the side of those dictatorial RV Resorts..... Just for the record, I was once in Utah and to access my own site, I hate to use and entry plastic card which was coded with 20 minutes delay between passages; when I asked a reason for this restriction, I was told that would prevent people to come in with two or more vehicles with one card only. Furthermore, we were not allow to have non-resident friends on our 5th wheeler for dinner.
    There are extremes in every business and in my opinion a reasonable balancing will benefit the Park owner and the Rver.