Window Insulation.

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by gwbischoff, Jan 24, 2008.

1. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

Does anybody have any experience dealing with a drafty window?

There's really nothing wrong with the window except that it's at the head of our bed and even though the heat in the MH is fine we get a nice cool blast down our necks at night if the wind kicks up.

Does anybody make any sort of draft seal that you could put in the window track? Like the beanbag-type things you can use to seal a draft coming in from under a door.

If nobody's invented that yet, I'm calling the Patent Office...

2. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gwbischoff @ Jan 24 2008, 11:01 AM) [snapback]10021[/snapback]

There's really nothing wrong with the window except that it's at the head of our bed and even though the heat in the MH is fine we get a nice cool blast down our necks at night if the wind kicks up.

Does anybody make any sort of draft seal that you could put in the window track? Like the beanbag-type things you can use to seal a draft coming in from under a door.

I'm not an engineer, haven't seen anything like that. Could try Duct Tape......

JJ

3. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi gwb,

Place some hooks above the window and cover it with a nice thick blanket that tucks in at the head of the bed. It makes it much more comfy.

QUOTE(gwbischoff @ Jan 24 2008, 01:01 PM) [snapback]10021[/snapback]

4. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

The ones that fit under the door and go on both inside and outside also work on windows.
    Check it out here:
    http://www.asseenontvguys.com/index.asp?Pa...CFQGzGgodozvfOQ

5. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Today, I read somewhere (forgot where I read it...) that some people put bubble wrap on their windows. I wonder if the bubble wrap could be cut and placed inside the tracks..... Might want to tape it down.

JJ

6. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

Thanks to all for your help.

I had forgotten about the 'shrink wrap' stuff. That seems the most practical for this problem.

7. PATHFINDER AND RAINBOW

PATHFINDER AND RAINBOW
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(gwbischoff @ Jan 28 2008, 01:02 PM) [snapback]10054[/snapback]

Thanks to all for your help.

I had forgotten about the 'shrink wrap' stuff. That seems the most practical for this problem.

I DO 2 THINGS: I ROLL UP A BATH TOWEL AND PUT IT BENEATH THE BOTTOM OF THE WINDOW SHADE AND I PUT OUR TWO "EXTRA" DECORATIVE BED PILLOWS UP AGAINST
    THE HEADBOARD BEFORE WE GO TO BED.

8. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(PATHFINDER AND RAINBOW @ Jan 29 2008, 03:52 PM) [snapback]10081[/snapback]

I DO 2 THINGS: I ROLL UP A BATH TOWEL AND PUT IT BENEATH THE BOTTOM OF THE WINDOW SHADE AND I PUT OUR TWO "EXTRA" DECORATIVE BED PILLOWS UP AGAINST
    THE HEADBOARD BEFORE WE GO TO BED.

That's a good idea! Now, what can I do about a cat who would negate the above solution because the cat INSISTS on having the shade open at 3:00 AM so it can watch the "happening action" at that time (and there goes all my heat out the window......)

Never mind, don't answer that...... (Cat never does this at home, only in the RV.....)

JJ

9. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

JJ,

You have a problem. Is it possible to train the "putty cat" to use his warm body to block the draft at the window, maybe, just maybe, his body heat would heat the air within the draft to an acceptable temperature. O well, just a thought........

10. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Butch @ Jan 30 2008, 08:27 AM) [snapback]10095[/snapback]

JJ,

You have a problem. Is it possible to train the "putty cat" to use his warm body to block the draft at the window, maybe, just maybe, his body heat would heat the air within the draft to an acceptable temperature. O well, just a thought........

Wish that would work! Once I was in my RV in TEN degree weather (above zero) and kitty still had to have the shade up! Lordy!

JJ

11. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

FYI,

Got the shrink-wrap window insulation at ACE hardware and it works like a charm.