Winter in south texas

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by hartrob, Sep 13, 2004.

1. hartrob

hartrob
    Expand Collapse

Planning on spending some time in South Texas this winter and have no idea where to stay since we have never been there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bob & Barbara
    2004 Open Road 5er

2. LadyH

LadyH
    Expand Collapse

Not sure what part of South Texas you are referring to, but I stayed for a fantastic 8 months on the Mexican border in Brownsville. There is a 4 star (Frommer's RV Guide) RV resort there called River Bend on Military Highway. I can't recommend it highly enough if you want all the modern conveniences, including an 18 hole golf course, heated pool and tons of amenities. I didn't want to leave there. They have some rental lots, but most are owned privately although a lot of owners will rent to people.
    Call them on (956)548-0191. You will have a great time and you will be only 5 mins from Mexico as well!
    :)

3. SNAIL

SNAIL
    Expand Collapse

We used to live in Rockport, Tx and enjoyed it very much. It is a small town north of Corpus Christi on highway 35. If you like a slower pace with good fishing and lots of opportunity to make friends, you would likely find it good. Make sure you have a campground before going. Several in the area.

4. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

My inlaws stay in Mission and we love to go there and visit. THe whole Rio Grand Valley is a great winter escape. We stayed at pleasant valley ranch but did not really look for anything else since it was next door to my inlaws and the own a home in the community. We were impressed with the way the community welcomes the Winter Texans.

John S.
    1999 Foretravel

5. midnightstar

midnightstar
    Expand Collapse

We are living in Rockport during this season and probably next season also. Stayed here 4 years ago and fell in love with the area. Rockport/Fulton area are small towns but have many things to see and do in the area. Lots of good fishing, beaching, relaxing, and it even has a super Walmart. Nice quiet towns. Friendly people (both winter Texans and residents). Lots of RV Parks in the area. Some are very quaint and others have all the amidities one could want. It all depends on what you really need. ;)