Winter Storage

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by coacbcps, Sep 12, 2009.

1. coacbcps

coacbcps
    Expand Collapse

This was our first summer camping with our new pop up camper and my family and I have had a blast! But all good things must come to an end. As winter approaches and we get ready to store our camper, I was wondering if some of the more seasoned campers could give me some storage tips. My brother-in-law said that we could store our camper in his back yard since I'm not allowed to have an RV in my development. He has a large field-like backyard. It's not truly the country but it's close enough to be considered rural. Here's my question: What can I do to keep out the field mice and other critters so they will not be spending the winter eating and using my camper? :( Any good advice would be appreciated!

2. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

I recently attended a seminar designed for newbies, like me, to winterize their unit. I was told, to my surprise, that scattering a several sheets of "Bounce" around the trailer does the trick. I have no idea why but since then I have been told this same advice by other independent sources. I'll give it a go and see how we get on.

3. coacbcps

coacbcps
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Hutch333id @ Sep 20 2009, 08:22 PM) [snapback]19070[/snapback]

I recently attended a seminar designed for newbies, like me, to winterize their unit. I was told, to my surprise, that scattering a several sheets of "Bounce" around the trailer does the trick. I have no idea why but since then I have been told this same advice by other independent sources. I'll give it a go and see how we get on.

Well that sounds easy enough. It will get rid of the critters and make your camper smell like a fresh spring breeze to boot! :p

4. danel-ksc

danel-ksc
    Expand Collapse

Besides the "Bounce", which does work, put a ring of mothballs around the tires.

5. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(danel-ksc @ Sep 22 2009, 05:59 PM) [snapback]19137[/snapback]

Besides the "Bounce", which does work, put a ring of mothballs around the tires.

....and if you are living in the northern part of the world where the water becomes solid in the winter, you better drain all pipes and water container too

6. danel-ksc

danel-ksc
    Expand Collapse

Also be sure and put RV antifreeze in all the traps. Don't forget to drain the hotwater tank AND the line going to the ice maker, if you have one.
    I also put some RV antifreeze in both the black and grey water tanks because there is almost always a little liquid in both tanks after you drain them and the drain plugs and seals don't like ice.

7. coacbcps

coacbcps
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(danel-ksc @ Sep 23 2009, 12:26 AM) [snapback]19142[/snapback]

Also be sure and put RV antifreeze in all the traps. Don't forget to drain the hotwater tank AND the line going to the ice maker, if you have one.
    I also put some RV antifreeze in both the black and grey water tanks because there is almost always a little liquid in both tanks after you drain them and the drain plugs and seals don't like ice.

Danel-ksc
    You said to put RV antifreeze in all the traps. What exactly are "the traps"?

8. danel-ksc

danel-ksc
    Expand Collapse

The "traps" are the "U" shaped pipes for your kitchen and bathroom sinks. They normally have water in them to prevent odors from coming thru the sink drain. Your home has them under every sink. Putting antifreeeze in the trap to prevent freezing is a lot easier than taking the trap apart and draining each one. Just pour about three cups of antifreeze in each sink drain and it will flush the water out of the trap and leave it protected against freezing.
    In some RVs there is also a trap type bend in the toilet line leading to the black tank. If you pour antifreeze into the toilet it will protect this connection in addition to the discharge valve.
    Finally, I don't know if it has been mentioned in other posts, but be sure and remove the drain plug from your hot water heater and let it drain.

9. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

Gee, how many suggestion you got and ALL FREE, ;) last one, don't use car's antifreeze because I understand it is poisonous, :blink: there is a special one that's sold in the RV part of stores or RV dealers.
    PS = Once stored remember to keep ajar refrigerator and freezer doors or next year it will stink. :eek:

10. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

coacbcps,

Your original question was about discouraging mice from taking up residence in your stored pop-up, but if you will need to completely winterize your unit you might want to read these articles. The advice from all the members is good and accurate, but these articles give you the information and steps all at once instead of piece by piece. Hope this is helpful to you.

http://rvbasics.com/techtips/rv-fresh-water-winterizing.html

http://www.koa.com/familyzone/camping101/a...tenance_506.htm

http://www.campingworld.com/category/winterizing/186

11. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(danel-ksc @ Sep 22 2009, 07:59 PM) [snapback]19137[/snapback]

Put a Bounce sheet on the ground behind each tire and then back up so the tire is sitting on the dryer sheet. It helps keep the bugs out.

12. coacbcps

coacbcps
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Sep 23 2009, 04:17 PM) [snapback]19160[/snapback]

coacbcps,

Your original question was about discouraging mice from taking up residence in your stored pop-up, but if you will need to completely winterize your unit you might want to read these articles. The advice from all the members is good and accurate, but these articles give you the information and steps all at once instead of piece by piece. Hope this is helpful to you.

http://rvbasics.com/techtips/rv-fresh-water-winterizing.html

http://www.koa.com/familyzone/camping101/a...tenance_506.htm

http://www.campingworld.com/category/winterizing/186

Thanks! This is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for!