1 week in So. Utah & No. AZ

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by golfman59, Mar 28, 2004.

1. golfman59

golfman59
    Expand Collapse

Will be renting a 32 class A in Las Vegas on May 29 and returning on June 5th. We are active empty-nesters looking for the "right" locations to visit and park our RV. Any suggestions would be helpful. :)

2. beastdriver

beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Golfman:

I can't tell you which RV park to stay in while in Moab, if you are going to visit that area and the beautiful Arches National Park, but I can most certainly tell you which one to avoid. Under no circumstances would I advise you stay at the Canyonlands RV Park in downtown Moab. This is an old park, poor ingress and egress, tight sites, and poor parking areas. We passed many nice ones while we were in Moab but, unfortunately, had already registered at and paid for this one. Big Mistake!

3. golfman59

golfman59
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the input. Right now we have a 3 night reservation at Zion River Campground beginning 5/29. At this time, we have a 3 night reservation at the National Park Campground at the North Rim. After studying and reviewing much information, we may elect either to spend just one night at the North Rim and the other days near Bryce (maybe Ruby's) or eliminate the North Rim entirely from our itinerary. We are both very active people and it seems that there is so much to explore at both Zion and Bryce that we would probably be short changing ourselves if we "rush" through these parks. What do you think? :)

4. janmcn

janmcn
    Expand Collapse

Ruby's was nice, and since you're "active people" you'll want to take the "rim hike" in Bryce which looks worthwhile. (I can't because of knees.) Also I second the thought to see Arches, one of our favorites. Have a great time!
    Jan

5. Donna

Donna
    Expand Collapse

:rolleyes: Flagstaff, AZ. is a great place to stay and centrally located for all the attractions in N. AZ. ie Grand Canyon, Sedona, Painted Desert, several Indian ruins in Flagstaff, The Museum of N. AZ. and Lowell Observatory. I found that J&H RV Park in Flagstaff was a friendly, clean and secure place to stay. I have been going there for a number of years and I think you'll like it very much.

6. beastdriver

beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Ditto on Donna's comments on J&H RV Park in Flagstaff. One of the nicest places we've ever stayed and Harvey (one of the owners) is one of the most colorful characters we've ever met. Be sure to buy one of his eighteen booklets while you are there. They are precious. Also, do not leave without dining at the restaurant across the street--absolutely superb. Ask Harver or JoAnn about it.

7. golfman59

golfman59
    Expand Collapse

Thank you Donna and Beast Driver for your insight. Looks like Flagstaff and Sedona area will be our next trip. As we only have a week and want to see Zion, Bryce and maybe the North Rim will be our itinerary this time. We ARE anxious to see the areas you are talking about but will wait on them. Thanks to the internet and the libraries, we have been studying and studying ad nauseum trying to figure out where and how much time will be desirable in the places we mentioned above. As of right now, we have decided to do the following: rent a 35' motorhome from Canyonlands RV Rentals in St. George, Utah, spend 3 nights at the Zion National Campground for 3 nights, visit Zion for 2 days, on to Ruby's/Bryce Canyon for 1 night and 2 days sight seeing. The remainder of the time will be spent at the North Rim National Campground. What do you all think?? :rolleyes:

8. beastdriver

beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Golfman:

Sounds like a plan to me! Have a great time.

9. Chuck

Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Just returned from Moab, Utah. We stayed at the Portal RV Park, 1261 N. Hwy 191. I recommend the facility highly. Friendly, efficient staff. Nice size sites with full hookups. Lot of 4 wheelers camp there but they were courteous and not a problem at all. There is a fishing pond on the grounds.