AC issues

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by Zach B, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Zach B

Zach B
    Expand Collapse

Last weekend the Dometic AC unit stoped working. It would run for about 3 minutes blowing cold then it would sound like the unit was struggling and it would trip the breaker. So I turned it back on to test the amperage that it was drawing while running at first it was staying around 17 - 18 amps then when it started to struggle it was at 34 amps till it tripped the breaker. Long story short I tested the unit on the roof everything seemed fine but I did end up replacing it since it was a older unit. I know have a Dometic Duo Therm Brisk II Air 13500 with a new control panel. This unit did the same thing as the previous unit. I tested the power coming into the camper its 115 volts. I'm not sure what can be causing this, any help will be greatly appreciated thank you.

2. Bama Camper

Bama Camper
    Expand Collapse

Interesting.

Try replacing the breaker.

Theory - the old breaker heats up and starts arching inside. This causes a voltage drop across the bad (carbonized) connection in the breaker. The current required by the AC goes up because the voltage drops (load is the same). The breaker then trips because of the increased current. You might be able to see this if you monitor the voltage on the incoming line to the AC as well as the current.

You might also look for a bad connection at the breaker.

Don't throw away the old unit!

#2 Bama Camper, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    Zach B and BankShot like this.
  3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I agree, and as mentioned, if the amps goes up that quick while the A/C is running sounds like a bad connections at the breaker or possible the power cord wiring going into the RV.

Try running the A/C for a few minutes, "then completly shut off power to RV". put your hand on the RV breaker, power cord connection, power box or anywere connections are made, what your looking for is anything that is hot, if you find anything check the wiring.

Also but you need someone who is "qualified" you can run a seprate power cord to the roof A/C unit and test run independently to prove problem is in the RV .

good luck
    Mike

Zach B and BankShot like this.
  4. Bama Camper

Bama Camper
    Expand Collapse

That's a good test.

5. joantucker

joantucker
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your help!! I have never encountered this problem before. I was surprised when I found this thread. I thought it was over, and I couldn't fix it. But, thank God, I found it!! But I decided all this. In one article, I found all the answers to the questions about the acs. Before that, I had only minor problems: warm air from the air conditioner, the compressor did not turn on, the backlight of the air conditioner did not blink. Now I do without masters and services for as long as possible. If you have any problems, look there so as not to pay in vain. Or just try to use an aircon chemical overhaul.

#4 joantucker, Sep 16, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2021