Ads???

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by buffy, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Nov 21 2010, 01:15 PM) [snapback]24928[/snapback]

Those are a joke! You are not "saving" money. You are paying market price. The people who do NOT have the cards are getting "gouged."

Albertson's will just GIVE you a card no paperwork required. At least they did two years ago. The Ingles chain in the South will, too, I got one last year. So will Food Lion.

Safeway wanted address information but I talked them down to just city and state, I did NOT give a phone number. And when I moved, I didn't give them a change of address. ...
    JJ

As fulltimers, we have accumulated dozens of cards from grocery stores and chains around the country. We never give them a good address. If they insist on an address, we just make up an address in some other state.

A lot of mail goes to 123 Main Street, Yourtown, OK. :)

2. edcornflake

edcornflake
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Denali @ Nov 21 2010, 07:45 PM) [snapback]24930[/snapback]

A lot of mail goes to 123 Main Street, Yourtown, OK. :)

The folks at 123 Main Street are gonna have some choice words if you ever stop in! :D

3. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Nov 21 2010, 05:25 PM) [snapback]24929[/snapback]

We ate at Chile's last night and there was an ad on my bills saying that they had a weekly $1,000 giveaway and gave you a website to "register". Like an idiot, I did and immediately my Android which notifies me of emails began to vibrate off the table. I switched to check my mail and had 16 emails welcoming me to be a price checker at various websites. I try to be very selective when giving out my email or web address. Lots of spammers out there. I have a gmail account that I use for anything that doesn't look right.

I have an email account at excite.com I use for registering for things I know will get spammed. Every now and then I will go in there and delete all the emails to clean out the box. It is amazing what accumulates in there.

4. willranless

willranless
    Expand Collapse

Every week it seems that I am either noticing or hearing from others about more advertising on the web. Sites that used to be relatively "Ad Free" are now full of more aggressive ads. I guess there's truth to the saying: "There's no such thing as a FREE puppy."

5. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Ads are the means of commerce on the internet. Without them, it would be very hard to even break even. It is very easy to ignore them. I use Google popup blocker and that makes it even easier.

6. JohnTucson

JohnTucson
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the information. I have not seen one of the right-wing political ads in a while now. They were located in a "normal" ad space on the screen. What I mean is, they weren't in a banner across the top, or floating popup across the screen.

Yep, I use Firefox with ad-blocker. Yep, I use Norton. And I have security set to HIGH.

And by the way, I wasn't making "accusations", nor was I "getting angry" at anyone. I was simply trying to tell you what I was seeing.

7. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

John Tucson,

I did not take your post as being angry--maybe a little frustrated with the types of ads you were seeing, and I don't blame you. I do not care for political ads on this site, but after doing some research (see post #15) I'm not sure it is this site's fault. I know that our webmaster allows some advertising in order to generate revenue, but he has also told us he does not allow the political stuff, so I can't say for sure how they got here. From past reports we do know that some people see more ads than others, so keep the security high on your computer and that will help control it. But always feel free to tell us about anything you see that you feel is inappropriate.