Adult Parks?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Katiekat, Aug 20, 2007.

1. junyah

junyah
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RLM @ Aug 22 2007, 12:53 PM) [snapback]8089[/snapback]

Butch> If you hadn't made the comment I was going to. It was a simple request for information not requiring a judgement as a response.

Katiekat> Generally, I would try to avoid the campgrounds with the pools and playground equipment. Resorts where sites are owner purchased then rented when the owner isn't there typically have an older crowd. I also like state and corp of engineer parks. The are usually far enough off the beaten path that you will have some "peace and quiet"; especially during the week days.

Good luck and also welcome to the forum.

:eek: We have camped all of our lives, but just recently purchased a trailer for the first time. The wife and I were discussing going away for a long weekend for our 23rd anniverssary and we decided to see if we could find a place more suited to adults. So of course I type into google, "Adult campgrounds" and what I got was a list of clothing otipnal and Gay and Lesbian friendly campgrounds. Through some friends who got a good chuckle, we were advised to try state parks and such which typically have no planned activties, pools etc that attract families with children. For the record we have children, they do camp with us. They are wll mannered, but they are kids.

2. Sunflyer

Sunflyer
    Expand Collapse

You can also consider traveling during the school week when you can use most any rv park. Avoid weekends in any park that has a pool or playground. Avoid holiday weekends in any state or national park.

The only problem that can occur when depending on the definition of "adult" park is that often they are retirement parks and the folks in them are much, much older than your "40ish" age. They consider you the nuisance because you are too young.

Travel when school is in session and you'll have lots more options and the quiet you seek.

3. Katiekat

Katiekat
    Expand Collapse

Travel when school is in session and you'll have lots more options and the quiet you seek.

See, I can't travel during the school week - I am a teacher! Ugh! I guess what I seek is quiet parks - older folks are just fine in my book, lol....I'm not there for the socializing aspect, but for the relaxation part of it. Thanks, everyone, for all your great ideas!

4. k4a

k4a
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(rodman @ Aug 21 2007, 07:22 PM) [snapback]8070[/snapback]

I have respect for others, but I'm also not so arrogant that I believe when I'm eating in a fine restaurant everyone should be quiet just for me. I would love to see you the first time you are in a place whether it be a nice place or not when your grandchild acts up and believe me they will, sing to me then. BTW, this is not what KatieKat was asking. Also, congradulations, there's nothing like it.

rodman,
    Actually it doesn't sound like you have respect for others. If you did you wouldn't be so arrogant to think you and your grandchild can go where ever you want without regard to everyone else. If you and your grandchild can behave in public then please enjoy all that life has to offer. If you can’t behave appropriate to your surroundings then please do us all a favor and stick with Chuck E. Cheese until you’re both up to speed on social etiquette.

I can think of nothing worse then finding you and your grandchild at the table next to me while I try to enjoy a nice evening out. You’re the reason people avoid “Kids Eat Free” night at the Sizzler. :rolleyes:

K4A

5. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

k4a:

Will you marry me? I think I've found a soulmate.

6. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Won't Mrs. Beastdriver have something to say about that???

7. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Cheryl:

Welcome back. Where have you been? I was getting concerned. Regarding my marriage proposal, I would do almost anything to avoid screaming kids at the table next to me at a fine restaurant.

8. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

I completely agree - I love kids - I am a mother and a grandmother, but it irritates the crap out of me to go out for a nice quiet dinner and have unruly children seated near us. And usually, the parents are acting totally oblivious to their behaviour. When my kids were young, they were taught to sit at the table, not run all over the place and disturb others, and we require the same from my grandson when he goes out to eat with us. We were recently in a restaurant where some children were running and bumping into people, then one of them was standing on the seat and jumping up and down. I saw the manager watching them and was hoping he would say something to the family, but he never did. Now, when we go out, if they take us to a table that has children nearby, we generally ask for another table. Guess that makes us sound like old grouches, but we want to be able to relax and enjoy our conversation.

9. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Sorry this isn't on topic, but I just wanted to say "Hi" to Cheryl. I, too, have been wondering where you were. We have needed you to keep these "big bad boys" in line. :lol: Glad you're back.

10. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(k4a @ Sep 1 2007, 03:24 PM) [snapback]8222[/snapback]

QUOTE(rodman @ Aug 21 2007, 07:22 PM) [snapback]8070[/snapback]

I have respect for others, but I'm also not so arrogant that I believe when I'm eating in a fine restaurant everyone should be quiet just for me. I would love to see you the first time you are in a place whether it be a nice place or not when your grandchild acts up and believe me they will, sing to me then. BTW, this is not what KatieKat was asking. Also, congradulations, there's nothing like it.

rodman,
    Actually it doesn't sound like you have respect for others. If you did you wouldn't be so arrogant to think you and your grandchild can go where ever you want without regard to everyone else. If you and your grandchild can behave in public then please enjoy all that life has to offer. If you can’t behave appropriate to your surroundings then please do us all a favor and stick with Chuck E. Cheese until you’re both up to speed on social etiquette.

I can think of nothing worse then finding you and your grandchild at the table next to me while I try to enjoy a nice evening out. You’re the reason people avoid “Kids Eat Free” night at the Sizzler. :rolleyes:

K4A

11. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

OK, back off topic again. It's really sad that when you disagree with someone it turns into a personal attack. I went back and reread what I wrote just in case I missed something. I did say I agree with the the point of misbehaving children in restaurants. The arrogance I refered to was being told where I can and cannot take my granddaughter. I don't think any less of him, just don't agree. I am glad to see there are people on this website with class that just post a difference of opinion, thank you Cheryl, and don't make it a personal thing. BTW I believe my granddaughter is much more well mannered than either one of you 2.

As always just my opinion,

12. k4a

k4a
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(rodman @ Sep 5 2007, 01:33 PM) [snapback]8244[/snapback]

...The arrogance I referred to was being told where I can and cannot take my granddaughter...

Well then maybe I'm the arrogant one. I still say a child should be expected to behave appropriate to their surroundings. Don’t take a child to a nice restaurant if they can’t or won’t behave. In return you can expect the same from adults when they’re around children in a “kid friendly” restaurant. It’s just a matter of respect.

... I am glad to see there are people on this website with class that just post a difference of opinion…

Thank you rodman. I appreciate the compliment.

... BTW I believe my granddaughter is much more well mannered than either one of us.…

I agree she probably is, but what about having class and just posting a difference of opinion? Never mind, let’s get back to the topic at hand and discuss “adult RV parks”. Places we can go and not have to find if your granddaughter is better mannered than both of us. :p

13. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(k4a @ Sep 5 2007, 09:29 PM) [snapback]8246[/snapback]

...The arrogance I referred to was being told where I can and cannot take my granddaughter...

Well then maybe I'm the arrogant one. I still say a child should be expected to behave appropriate to their surroundings. Don’t take a child to a nice restaurant if they can’t or won’t behave. In return you can expect the same from adults when they’re around children in a “kid friendly” restaurant. It’s just a matter of respect.

... I am glad to see there are people on this website with class that just post a difference of opinion…

Thank you rodman. I appreciate the compliment.

... BTW I believe my granddaughter is much more well mannered than either one of us.…

I agree she probably is, but what about having class and just posting a difference of opinion? Never mind, let’s get back to the topic at hand and discuss “adult RV parks”. Places we can go and not have to find if your granddaughter is better mannered than both of us. :p

Now that is much better, that I completly agree with you on all points.

Just my opinion,

14. Danny B

Danny B
    Expand Collapse

Hi everyone,
    I am new to this website and was just wondering if they have "Opinionated Grandparent Free" RV Parks? :blink: (Only Kidding so please don't flame me!!)

15. julievojo

julievojo
    Expand Collapse

Sometimes I camp with my grandson and sometimes I don't. I do expect him to behave anytime that I have him in any public place. I understand that sometimes small kids can have a "meltdown" in public that can't be controlled, however, if that occures I always remove him from the scene. I don't want to inflict screaming 2 year old tantrums on anyone.

At times when we camp without him, we frequently ask for an adults section of the campground. When I'm on vacation, I want my peace and quiet.

All parents (and grandparents) need to do is be aware of how their and their children's behavior is affecting the people around them and use consideration. This in turn will teach the children a valuable lesson about how to treat others.

16. sharpgenie

sharpgenie
    Expand Collapse

If you find a nice clean park with no playground or pool, generally no kids. There is a park in Hermon Maine (just out of Bangor) like that. They do not restrict children but precious few stay there because there is nothing to do. The campground id immaculate, Wi-fi at $1 and is very good. Check the reviews here for Pumpkin Patch cg listed under both Hermon & Bangor Maine.

As far as kids in restaurants, again it is the parenting issue. There is no need for them to wander around. When one of my grandchildren started to get out of hand, they were taken outside. As they got older they were still taken out but for what our daughter called an "attitude adjustment". Not spanking though. It always worked.

17. swflagirl

swflagirl
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(rodman @ Aug 21 2007, 06:06 PM) [snapback]8064[/snapback]

I sure hope someday I have the pleasure of meeting you, who knows maybe in an upscale resturant with my granddaughter. I am a new grandfather and you know what I believe parents have the right to take their kids anywhere they want. I agree that it can be anoying but I'm sure you as well as I can do some things that are pretty anoying as well. Kids are a fact of life and if I want to go to an upscale resturant with my granddaughter I sure as you know what will.

Again just my opinion,

i am a new grandma (young),kids in resturants don't bother me it's old people blowing there noses at the table ,give me a grandchild crying any day the a gift from god!!!

18. standoris

standoris
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, but I had to add my two cents regarding grandkids.
    Both my husband and my self have previous marriages. My sons were the first to have children and of course, the grandchildren are typical children...cying when tired, loud at times, whiney some times when things don't go their way. At first I felt uncomfortable when they were toddlers would act up, I didn't want my husband to think they were BRATS even though I knew they were just regular kids.
    My husband said it never bothered him when the kids were naughty but I still wondered.
    I told him to wait until //// or ///// had children and they'd be the same.
    Well, sure enough the next year ///// ------had a son and I since then he's demonstrated on numerous occasions that he can be just a naughty as most kids can be from time to time.
    Toddlers are not easy to reason with !!! We never took them to "fancy" restaurants because were in our opinion too young to really appreciate it. No matter where they're taken by us or their parents, if they act up, they're taken outside. Sometimes that worked and sometimes we just left with doggie bags in hand. Why make the experience miserable not only for other patrons, but also for us and the child!!!!

There I feel better now ;)
    Doris

19. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Thank you Standoris! That is considerate!

I once had to put up with a kid behind me kicking my seat during an entire plane flight. The flight attendant wouldn't do anything, the mother with the kid just said, "it's a kid, ignore him." Just because it's a kid means *I* have to put up with my seat getting kicked? I think it was more of her excuse to be a bad mother.

JJ

20. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Several weeks ago we spent 4 nights at a wonderful park (Katherine Hanna Park) on the beach in Jacksonville, FL. We got a site close to the bathhouse and it had a concrete ramp. Kids were skate boarding on it constantly and slamming their boards down on the concrete making a heck of a racket. They even did this during the rain. We were mostly gone during the day, but the kids obviously didn’t know and or care about the noise and neither did their parents. They were bothering at least 6 or 8 sites. I have seen kids and their parents not respecting others more times than I can count and we usually try to stay at parks not catering to children for this reason. I love kids, had them and was one myself, but when I camp it is my right not to be imposed upon by kids running through my site and generally taking away my good times. I blame the parents more than the kids, but I am the one losing my much anticipated time at the campground. Florida is filled with 55 plus campgrounds.