Adult Parks?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by Katiekat, Aug 20, 2007.

1. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

let me start by saying i don't go along with children, grandchildren or anyone getting out of control in a restaurant, campground or anywhere.
    i just want to help out the parents and grandparents a little. i do construction for a living. there is noise around me all the time i got used to it. the skate board parents, there kids probably do it all the time. their parents probably don't even hear the racket. they are used to it .i live in the woods and ride four wheelers with my kids and grand kids. when one of the other people around take their four wheeler behind my house it doesn't bother me. i'm used to it.
    again i will say i don't agree that these people should be able to let they're children run around like nuts. what i'm saying is in some instances the parents/grandparents might not realize that the noise is bothering someone.
    i am not telling anyone to get used to it. i'm just giving a reason for the lack of response by the adults.
    by no means should anyone bring a four wheeler or skate board into a restaurant. :D
    that said can we get back on the topic of adult campgrounds. i think that was the topic anyway. :unsure:

2. catman2130093

catman2130093
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(rodman @ Aug 21 2007, 05:06 PM) [snapback]8064[/snapback]

I sure hope someday I have the pleasure of meeting you, who knows maybe in an upscale resturant with my granddaughter. I am a new grandfather and you know what I believe parents have the right to take their kids anywhere they want. I agree that it can be anoying but I'm sure you as well as I can do some things that are pretty anoying as well. Kids are a fact of life and if I want to go to an upscale resturant with my granddaughter I sure as you know what will.

Again just my opinion,

The shame here is that the original poster asked in a polite fashion for references to adult only parks. She should not have been jumped on for asking how to enjoy HER rv experience. She said nothing to warrant a snotty reply like this.

3. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

I agree with your sentiment, but even the reply that was quoted is now two years old, why bring it up now?

JJ

4. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

5. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Cheryl @ Apr 4 2009, 12:12 PM) [snapback]15727[/snapback]

I completely agree!

6. HoliRambler

HoliRambler
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Katiekat @ Aug 21 2007, 02:13 PM) [snapback]8056[/snapback]

I should have said in my question that I indeed do like kids - Hey - I teach elementary school after all, lol - but I don't want yelling and screaming kids interfering with my peace and quiet vacation. That's all......Just like I don't want a bunch of partiers staying up all night - I am guessing none of us would like that.....but I did wonder if there might be a specific place I could find out information about adult only sites. I have found a few, but mostly by accident..........Thanks!

I agree, Katiekat. My husband is a school bus driver and he deserves some peace and quiet on his camping trips. And yes, we love children.

7. J Miller

J Miller
    Expand Collapse

I applaud the efforts of the original poster to have the foresight to look for "adults only" parks. I've seen so many reviews blasting a campground, a KOA for example, because "there were kids running all over the place". Of course there were, you're basically at an outdoor Chuck E. Cheese.

IMO, there' a fine line between kids who are enjoying being kids, and kids who are just flat out obnoxious and destructive. I was at a state campground here in Michigan this past weekend, and there were kids all over the place, running, throwing water balloons, playing with cap guns, etc. I'm fine with that. It's the blatant disrespect for other people's property and space that drives me insane. Kids sitting on the bumper of my car, trying to pillage wood, things like that. And personally, I blame the parents. There are just to dang many absentee parents now days, it really bothers me. I'm the father of a 2 1/2 year old. Last summer, we camped a couple of times with him. The final time, he just couldn't handle it. Wouldn't stay in our campsite, threw a fit when we brought him back from his wandering. After 4 hours I left to go home, leaving my wife to enjoy the weekend to herself. Sure, I wanted to enjoy my weekend camping with my family, but it wasn't in the cards. To me, this is just common sense, why ruin other campers weekends with a screaming child. It's just what you sign up for when you become a parent, sometimes your little bundle of joy makes your plans for you, be it at a campground, restaurant or church pew. Unfortuately, common courtesy is a thing of the past.....

8. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

I haven't read all the intervening posts between the first and the last.

I stay every summer at an adult park. The one I generally stay at is in CO and it is truly 55+. On rare occasion one of the guests may have a grandchild visit for a weekend or so, but that is rare. Where I'm staying now, while not categorized as an adult park, pretty much is. Since there are no amenities that would keep kids occupied, you rarely see any after the weekend is over.

I had my kids and don't want any more (unlikely at my age :D ) and would rather not be around kids when I'm staying somewhere in my RV. That's why I CHOOSE to stay where I do. All of us have the same right.

9. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Katiekat @ Aug 21 2007, 02:13 PM) [snapback]8056[/snapback]

I should have said in my question that I indeed do like kids - Hey - I teach elementary school after all, lol - but I don't want yelling and screaming kids interfering with my peace and quiet vacation. That's all......Just like I don't want a bunch of partiers staying up all night - I am guessing none of us would like that.....but I did wonder if there might be a specific place I could find out information about adult only sites. I have found a few, but mostly by accident..........Thanks!

Hello Katinka I can see why you would like peace and quite on your off time. :rolleyes: As for kids I don`t mind if they behave and I don`t mean not get out and play but I have been camping a few times that they think the whole camp ground is there play ground including your camping spot.Throwing balls and other things thorough your camp sight.

I do agree with the restaurant thing and miss behaving kids.If they can`t train them keep them at home till you learn how to raise your kids..I did not let mine run wild when they were growing up so it can be done.

10. Florida Native

Florida Native
    Expand Collapse

Surely you don't expect a modern parent to actually discipline their child. It might hurt their self esteem.

11. sebring579

sebring579
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Jul 6 2011, 10:01 AM) [snapback]26685[/snapback]

Surely you don't expect a modern parent to actually discipline their child. It might hurt their self esteem.

I love the statement from parents to justify their childrens actions as "they're just kids being kids". Translate as so what if they're being disruptive. I've also heard parents tell campground owners that they'll never survive because they don't cater to families with children.

I prefer the quieter campgrounds. I go camping for quiet relaxation.

12. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Jul 6 2011, 10:01 AM) [snapback]26685[/snapback]

Yes and I have ask a few if they had parent lessons.But some of them are as bad as the kids.
    Here is one for you. I went to a paper box at a resort .:D A woman wanted me to hold the box open for her and another lady to get a paper.Now this women was there in I am guessing a 38 foot class A trying to steal a paper from a guy that got up at 2 AM to fill it and make a dime.I did tell her what I thought and if she did`t like it go tell the owners or police.I guess I scared the other woman off as I don`t think she even bought a paper.And people like that have kids. :angry:

13. JDRobar

JDRobar
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Wink @ Jul 6 2011, 10:13 PM) [snapback]26691[/snapback]

A woman wanted me to hold the box open for her and another lady to get a paper.

Ah say, Ah say......Nice Lady, but she's got more nerve than a bum tooth.

14. vincee

vincee
    Expand Collapse

My wife and I are both in our mid 50's and agree with most of the posts about kids (and barking dogs) ruining a campground experience. When we look into booking sites at different CG's that we have never been to, we only will do so at places that have websites with info and pictures of the facilities. Campgrounds that promote "family" aka kids amenities such as pools and playgrounds etc. will have more four-footers or less running around. We are grandparents ourselves, but if we want to be around young ins playing and running and stuff, we will just go to our kid/grandkids house. The flip side of this conversation though is everyone is quick to critize kids and families today with kids sitting around eating potato chips playing video games all day long. When we are camping and see a young family with their kids enjoying the outdoors as much as we are and they are respectful to fellow campers, we both think its great that the parents are taking the time to open the joys of camping to there young minds and applaud them for it

15. Wink

Wink
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(vincee @ Jul 9 2011, 10:31 AM) [snapback]26725[/snapback]

When we are camping and see a young family with their kids enjoying the outdoors as much as we are and they are respectful to fellow campers, we both think its great that the parents are taking the time to open the joys of camping to there young minds and applaud them for it

That is the key word.RESPECTFUL TO OTHER CAMPERS.I am with you liking to see kids off the couch.We are in a club that has a lot of kids but they know how to be around other people.Some may be brats at home but never have seen them do any thing out of the way when we camp with them. :)

16. klbmn

klbmn
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Wink @ Jul 9 2011, 12:03 PM) [snapback]26726[/snapback]

That is the key word.RESPECTFUL TO OTHER CAMPERS.I am with you liking to see kids off the couch.We are in a club that has a lot of kids but they know how to be around other people.Some may be brats at home but never have seen them do any thing out of the way when we camp with them. :)

Just stayed at a 16+ campground in,of all places< Intercourse PA. Never had a better experience as far as it being quiet and well kept. There was nothing kinky or anything but it was very relaxing. Would recommend it to anyone.

17. chowhound

chowhound
    Expand Collapse

This thread has been going on for almost 4 years. It all started when an elementry school teacher was considering purchasing a pop up and wondering if it was possible to leave the sight and sounds of children behind at her day job. We of course took the topic and ran with it, from childrens behavior, parent behavior, grandparent behavior, restuarants, planes, busses and of course the occasional "clothing optional" story. I wonder did she ever buy that pop up? and did she find what she was seeking? Inquiring minds...you know.

18. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(rodman @ Aug 21 2007, 04:06 PM) [snapback]8064[/snapback]

I sure hope someday I have the pleasure of meeting you, who knows maybe in an upscale resturant with my granddaughter. I am a new grandfather and you know what I believe parents have the right to take their kids anywhere they want. I agree that it can be anoying but I'm sure you as well as I can do some things that are pretty anoying as well. Kids are a fact of life and if I want to go to an upscale resturant with my granddaughter I sure as you know what will.

Again just my opinion,

I am sorry Rodman but I don't agree with you, there are places that’s reasonable to take children and other that are reserved for adults.
    It is not a matter of loving or hating children it is more matter of invading each one’s freedom in order to have a nice evening at the restaurant without children running around or screaming or behaving as children at the table.
    When you are going to spend a few hundred dollars for a specific evening and I don't think it is fair having children disturbing the place..
    If I may provide a suggestion, bring them to McDonald.