Alcohol In Campgrounds

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by foor, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Herself

Herself
    Expand Collapse

I just returned from SC state park stays, up thru Virginia. I enjoy cold beer at night, use a cuzy and behave responsibly. I've seen the no alcohol rule and have always read it as "as long as it is not a problem, it's not a problem" . Don't flaunt it, it's all good.

Only one time did I smell Marijuana. That I appreciated.

2. Happy Camper X2

Happy Camper X2
    Expand Collapse

Putting it in a review is a good idea especially if it was a problem or as a heads up if not allowed. There is at least 1 campground with a no alcohol rule but if asked they allow it on site but just try to keep it under control. There are those that think camping is all about drinking from Friday to Sunday with no stopping. When their fun ruins everyone else’s fun then there is a problem.

weighit, mdcamping and Fitzjohnfan like this.
  3. Flottle

Flottle
    Expand Collapse

I think as long as you have that approach (with either of the two imo) you're fine. It's like the no drinking rules at a beach. I take it as a suggestion to not be too conspicuous about it and not get out of control.

4. Camp_lover3435

Camp_lover3435
    Expand Collapse

Drinking beer around a campfire with friends is certainly cool, but in some cases such recreation can get out of control. For example, I don't drink alcohol at all, and when I'm camping, I always take a guitar with me, thereby entertaining everyone.

5. Springfield RV Park

Springfield RV Park
    Expand Collapse

Totally get you on that vibe, man. Even though I'm not a non-drinker, I completely respect your decision.

I had a similar camping trip once, right around the tail end of summer. Great company, amazing s'mores, and an atmosphere that's just buzzing with good vibes. I'm usually the whiskey guy in the group, though, I love that smoky warmth mixed with the crackling campfire and rich conversations.

6. Schnitzel123

Schnitzel123
    Expand Collapse

I understand the concern with alcohol in campgrounds. A few weeks ago, there was a case of young folks getting drunk and causing chaos near our site. Police had to intervene. It wasn't pleasant. You've got to know your measure and limits.

I'm not categorically against drinking at the campgrounds. My wife and I enjoy a simple gin and tonic before bed. We get our gin from Costco because they have the best prices, we get it for only 17$. It has notes of juniper, citrus, and a subtle hint of spice. As long as everyone's respectful and not going overboard, a little drink at the campgrounds shouldn't be a problem.

7. racklefratz

racklefratz
    Expand Collapse

Wow-OP posted in 2011, and this thing's still alive 13 years later. Amazing, or what?

But, the dirty little secret is, alcohol is alcohol. It's not any different when consumed in an RV situation than it is anywhere else.

Another poster said "common sense". That's the essence of it. It's not about what you decide to drink in your campsite, or how much of it you decide to drink. What it IS about is if you can handle your liquor, no matter how much of it you consume.

If you can handle it, do what you want to do. If you can't, it'll be problematic, whether it's in an RV park, or somewhere else. It's not Rocket Science, folks.

8. cerih

cerih
    Expand Collapse

I think the world can live wonderfully without alcohol. Eats many other wonderful things. For example, travel and sports :)

9. denny2

denny2
    Expand Collapse

I've been to a few spots where the alcohol policy was a surprise. It'd be super useful to know beforehand, especially for those chill campfire nights.