And Why Do We Just Gotta Have Internet In Our Rv?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by DXSMac, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Lee and Fran

Lee and Fran
    Expand Collapse

I tried a sprint, alltel, and verizon air cards and heck thought I would have better service using snail mail. I now have satellite and I am happy as can be.

2. jannie5

jannie5
    Expand Collapse

We've been fulltiming for over 3 years now and I would be lost without the internet. I use this site for checking out the parks in an area that we are planning on visiting. It's kept us out of a lot of parks that were real stinkers!! I do all of my banking online, checking out our Visa charges (sigh) researching areas, activities, grocery stores, etc. I too use Verizon's cellphones (2) and their Aircard. I've had good service through them and rarely am I without a signal. I do use a booster antenna with my Aircard and that helps a lot. Just wish it didn't cost $125.00 a month... You couldn't pry my laptop away from me!! Long live the Internet!!

3. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jannie5 @ Jul 25 2008, 01:05 PM) [snapback]12440[/snapback]

We've been fulltiming for over 3 years now and I would be lost without the internet. I use this site for checking out the parks in an area that we are planning on visiting. It's kept us out of a lot of parks that were real stinkers!! I do all of my banking online, checking out our Visa charges (sigh) researching areas, activities, grocery stores, etc. I too use Verizon's cellphones (2) and their Aircard. I've had good service through them and rarely am I without a signal. I do use a booster antenna with my Aircard and that helps a lot. Just wish it didn't cost $125.00 a month... You couldn't pry my laptop away from me!! Long live the Internet!!

$125????? Holy cow, I called both Verizon and Sprint and I can get an air card for $55 a month. What is the deal?

JJ

4. jannie5

jannie5
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Jul 25 2008, 02:39 PM) [snapback]12442[/snapback]

$125????? Holy cow, I called both Verizon and Sprint and I can get an air card for $55 a month. What is the deal?

JJ

We have 2 cell phones ($59.00) and the Aircard. 2 x $59.00 + tax = $125.00

5. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(jannie5 @ Jul 26 2008, 06:57 PM) [snapback]12474[/snapback]

We have 2 cell phones ($59.00) and the Aircard. 2 x $59.00 + tax = $125.00

Thanks for the clarification. Does Verizon REQUIRE you to have THEIR cell service if you use their air card? I would rather keep my Sprint cell service.

JJ

6. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi JJ,

You are better off with a verizon phone where the broadband "feature" can be turned on and off. Look for a phone that does RevA

7. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Jul 27 2008, 09:30 AM) [snapback]12486[/snapback]

Hi JJ,

You are better off with a verizon phone where the broadband "feature" can be turned on and off. Look for a phone that does RevA

Oh, like what you told me about an earlier time? OK!

JJ

8. BBear

BBear
    Expand Collapse

I've been camping since I was a baby and have never had internet or cell phone service while camping and I'm not going to start now. One of the reasons I like going camping is to escape the everyday life...and for me that involves computer use. So, I cherish the time I have camping where I don't have my laptop on my lap or my eyes glued to a computer screen or my cell phone attached to my ear.

9. iamrving

iamrving
    Expand Collapse

I have a sprint card I use in my laptop and virizon phones. I would suggest getting a virizon air card for better signal. I also purchased a signal booster that has an antenna on the roof and attaches to the card with velcro. This will boost the signal to full in most all locations. The problem with the sprint card is that it goes into roam even with a full signal and slowes down. The rv signal booster system is the key. You can get one that allowes you to be wireless and it will also boost the signal of your cell phones when you are near your rv.

10. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Ok, I'm still thinking of getting a sprint air card, even though verizon is better. I have Sprint Cell phone.

JJ

11. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi JJ,

I hope the kitty's surgery went well.

Unless you need phone service 24/7 I'd suggest adding the "feature" to your sprint phone. (Yeah I know I've been pushing Verizon at you). I suspect that Sprint will allow you to turn the feature on and off at will just as Verizon does.

I'd still rather see you get an LG Dare for Verizon service.

- gives you a "spare" phone for emergencies (if Sprint has no coverage, likely Verizon does, and visa versa)
    - is Rev A so as fast as a Data Card
    - can be used "stand alone" for minor "look ups" like phone numbers.

Don't expect anything *like* the speed from wifi from a data card. Do expect a "hassle" setting up the first time round.

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Aug 5 2008, 08:38 PM) [snapback]12638[/snapback]

Ok, I'm still thinking of getting a sprint air card, even though verizon is better. I have Sprint Cell phone.

JJ

12. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Aug 5 2008, 09:36 PM) [snapback]12639[/snapback]

Hi JJ,

I hope the kitty's surgery went well.

Unless you need phone service 24/7 I'd suggest adding the "feature" to your sprint phone. (Yeah I know I've been pushing Verizon at you). I suspect that Sprint will allow you to turn the feature on and off at will just as Verizon does.

I'd still rather see you get an LG Dare for Verizon service.

- gives you a "spare" phone for emergencies (if Sprint has no coverage, likely Verizon does, and visa versa)
    - is Rev A so as fast as a Data Card
    - can be used "stand alone" for minor "look ups" like phone numbers.

Don't expect anything *like* the speed from wifi from a data card. Do expect a "hassle" setting up the first time round.

Ok, that's a thought! I hadn't thought of that. Being able to turn on and off at will would be a good thing.

JJ