Another Wifi Question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Texasrvers, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Sometimes we have stayed at an RV park that has wifi for a fee through a third party such as TengoInternet or CoachConnect. We have never chosen to use this type of service because it is my understanding you have to register with the service and then supply them with a credit card number to which the fees are charged. I don't really want to join all these different services, but sometimes it is the best option for getting internet service. Has anyone used a service of this type and what was your experience with it?

2. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

TexasRvers: I have used these services many times and, at least half the time, they are not satisfactory. It's funny you should mention CoachConnect and Tengonet because these two are the worst. Usually, they put in their system as cheaply as possibe, and do not cover the park with any strength. If you have an option, don't use them.

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Texasrvers,

We found the same problems as Beastdriver, service to be very poor. You log on, pay and then system will dump you off or not log on again. The same problem every place we go. Now we do not use them at all.

4. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Thanks Beastdriver and John Blue. I suspected that poor service might be the case with these systems. I mentioned those two b/c they are the only ones I have heard of, but I'm sure there are more out there. We have seen Tengonet a little more b/c it is based here in Texas. Apparently an ex-employee of Dell Computers started it. Right now John's WaverII (from another post) is still sounding good to us.

5. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

This wi-fi is strange stuff. We have a satellite internet dish on top of our coach and usually get the internet through it. When we checked into this small park in Washington state this afternoon, I found the trees kept our satellite dish from performing correctly. When I went to the office to inquire if they had a modem connection, they advised that they did not, but told me to turn on my wi-fi on the computer because there was a business "down the road" and most people could get it. I am now getting four out of five bars with a download speed of 64mbps. It may not be perfectly legal and proper but it works!

6. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Beastdriver @ Jun 12 2007, 03:50 PM) [snapback]7290[/snapback]

This wi-fi is strange stuff. We have a satellite internet dish on top of our coach and usually get the internet through it. When we checked into this small park in Washington state this afternoon, I found the trees kept our satellite dish from performing correctly. When I went to the office to inquire if they had a modem connection, they advised that they did not, but told me to turn on my wi-fi on the computer because there was a business "down the road" and most people could get it. I am now getting four out of five bars with a download speed of 64mbps. It may not be perfectly legal and proper but it works!

Thats what happens when you do not encrypt your wireless router. If you turn your laptop on and drive through a neighborhood you will usually pick several signals. Sounds like the business down the road has quite and antenna.

7. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

Rodman: Yep. The business down the road was half-mile away and there were all kinds of trees, buildings, etc., between us and them. Yet, we keep hearing campground owners say they can't help it if you don't get a good signal in their park. (Translation: They are not willing to spend the bucks on antennas and repeaters.)