Bandwidth Hogs

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Vegas Tom, Aug 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

If you have data to back up this claim I would be interested in seeing it. I have no personal knowledge that Asian users have better data plans than are available here.

2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

A lot of the problem with widespread high speed broadband in the US is just the shear size of our country. Consider that the entire country of Japan is about the same size as California, and South Korea is about the size of Florida. It makes the scope of getting the infrastructure in place in the US a huge and expensive project. Nationwide availability of high speed broadband in the US is more likely to happen if/when the proposed low orbit satellite Internet systems are fully functional than it is with ground based build outs. As for the costs, consider that the Japanese and South Korean governments heavily subsidize Internet companies, meaning of course that the taxpayers foot a large part of the bill. An argument can be made either way in the US whether Internet should be paid for by all taxpayers versus paid for by just the users of the service.

3. 355spider

355spider
    Expand Collapse

4. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

This story provides the average cost for internet in Asia. It addresses cost vs speed, not data limits. It doesn't address costs or data limits for cellular service. For our discussions here, as RVers the only thing that matters is the cost of cellular service. I agree that this article is true but it's irrelevant for our discussions here.

Paythebill likes this.
  5. 355spider

355spider
    Expand Collapse

I'm pretty sure forums are for discussing anything we want. Relevant or not.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

6. cooperb

cooperb
    Expand Collapse

Wow, lots to say here. First and foremost, American Internet is crap, in mobile and regular data we're not even in the top ten for average speeds, and for speed vs. price we're not even close. And yes, I will cite references.

Most of the reasoning posted here is mostly incorrect as well, since the subsidies for internet exist HERE as well, but MUCH MUCH worse here is the fact that Lobbies pay to get exclusive non-compete areas and own huge chunks of the country, and they then they sit down at a table and collude on price fixing.

"Downloading a high-definition movie takes about seven seconds in Seoul, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Zurich, Bucharest and Paris, and people pay as little as $30 a month for that connection. In Los Angeles, New York and Washington, downloading the same movie takes 1.4 minutes for people with the fastest Internet available, and they pay $300 a month for the privilege, according to The Cost of Connectivity, a report published Thursday by the New America Foundation’s Open Technology Institute."

Please see Crawford, Susan P. “The Communications Crisis in America.” Harvard Law and Policy Review. 5 (2011). Web. For an extensive discussion of exactly why we get crap internet in this country. It's a very clear concise and crooked process whereby Cable companies completely control the internet in this country and for them, it is far less important to their bottom line that the billions of advertising dollars which funnel through their television wires, and slowing the usage of competing services only benefits them even more. In other words TIme Warner makes NOTHING when you click an ad on Facebook, or Youtube. They are not in business to promote Google, but TIme Warner, which makes MOST of its money from cable provided video advertising and cable fees.

As far as Mobile Data, on that front we are ALSO not in the top ten.

https://www.webpagefx.com/blog/internet/fastest-internet-connection-infographic/

In point of fact we're way down the list at 18th. In Britain, Three offers truly unlimited data with no caps or slowdowns for about $50 (34pounds), and their plan allows for using Netflix and other services tethered to your phone for nothing.

In Australia the familiar Data speed cap makes its appearance...but with a twist...Full Speed Unlimited Data Vodaphone...120Gigs at fullspeed, and then they slow you down to 1.5mbits. Yeah, the slow you so you can only stream 1 SD stream.

Seoul has a plan with a 2gb data cap, but the speed slows to 3mbits. NOT too shabby!

So yes, our country is not tops in the world for anything data oriented.

And one comment, the article posted earlier DOES help here, because this isn't about Mobile Data, but WIFI in RV Parks...the thread I mean...

And THAT would be 1000% improved with multiple fast cheap connections which we'll NEVER get from our monopolistic cable giants.

7. cooperb

cooperb
    Expand Collapse

Kinda rude docj, and also completely wrong. Maybe you think you're replying to another thread???

THIS thread has an OP about the data hogs who suck up all the wifi in parks, and while you continually digress from the subject and say you bring your own, which I guess qualifies in your head as making the WHOLE thread about mobile data for EVERYONE, the actual real subject was data hogs and wifi capacity in parks.

And for me, almost all the ways people have replied misses the fundamentals of the whole idea. A shred resource REQUIRES of the users of said resource to respect it. It is a fundamental to being a civilized human being. It's wrong to go to the pool and pee in it constantly because you do that at home and this pool is for your use and blah blah blah...still wrong to pee in water others use and make it ruined and unusable. If the park has a barbeque and they put out platters of Chicken, and say "Help yourself!" You're still a complete jerk if you run up front and grab the whole platter and take it home and freeze it and eat chicken for weeks while everyone else starves at the Barbeque.

I think I CLEARLY made the point that 300 or more devices in a park can easily eat up more cable modems worth of data than a park can afford to provide, and routers and Access Points only pass so much data. So this subject is really pretty clear. Is it OK to take as much as you can from a punchbowl, or eat the whole buffet, or pee in the pool? No. And it isn't OK to knowingly see the park has, say 100mbit internet, yet watch movies in 1080p that take up 10+mbits, when the park has 100 sites.

So yeah, bring your own and talk about that, but in this thread, I agree, the WiFi hog ruins it for everyone.

Paythebill likes this.
  8. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I made a single comment about having my own cellular connection. It was made as a "FWIW" at the end of a post that related directly to the thread. I think it's safe to say that many (if not most) full-time RVers carry their own cellular connections with unlimited (or very large) data limits so as not to have issues with park wifi. I apologize if that was too much off topic for you.

As for my comments on the article you had posted, it discussed average internet "speed" in Asian countries. The issue with RV parks isn't the average internet speed in the US. It's the ability of RV parks to obtain adequate service at their specific, often rural, locations. That's why I said the article wasn't relevant to the discussion.

Since you've decided to turn this into a discussion far outside of RVing to include lobbyists, monopolies and special interest groups, I think it's time to end the discussion.

Paythebill likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.