Best HWY for traveling to TX.

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by RV Life 2001, Oct 16, 2022.

1. RV Life 2001

RV Life 2001
    Expand Collapse

We have a 35 foot class A RV. Which highways are best from Arizona to Austin, TX. Cell phone maps have all these small highways listed. Not sure if they’re safe. Thanks for your help.

Mamunur Rashid likes this.
  2. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Depending on where you are in Arizona the most direct route would be I-10 to past Junction, TX then exit 477 off I-10 on US 290 through Fredericksburg enroute to Austin.

3. RV Life 2001

RV Life 2001
    Expand Collapse

Thank you. I’m new and forgot to say from HWY 40. Just want some advice on the smaller faster highways. Thanks!

Mamunur Rashid likes this.
  4. DiamondJim

DiamondJim
    Expand Collapse

I 40 to Amarillo, I 27 to Lubbock, 84 to Goldthwaite, 183 to Austin, all good roads.

5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

This is a good route if you are really wanting to stay on an interstate and/or larger highway. However, we go south on US84 just to the east of Santa Rosa, NM. This takes you down to Lubbock bypassing Amarillo. It has been about 3 years since we traveled that way and the road was good back then, but it takes you through several small towns which may slow you down. The Amarillo route is about 1,092 and the US84 route is about 1,017. Just depends on what kind of roads you want to travel on.