Campground Quirks

Discussion in 'Park Management' started by NT2013, Jul 21, 2013.

1. NT2013

NT2013
    Expand Collapse

I am starting this thread because I read so many complaints/misunderstandings in the campground reviews concerning things that are standard in certain state parks, in National Parks and in Forest Service Campgrounds. The reviewers tend to take out their frustrations on the campgrounds themselves when with a little more information before hand they could have picked another campground or have been mentally prepared for rules or charges they didn't anticipate.
    Here's the type of things I can speak to--there are probably many more. I live in CO so I will start there.

COLORADO-- State Parks charge day use fees in addition to camping fees--usually 6-8 dollars. CO parks are beautiful and well maintained. They are worth the money, IMHO. They usually have electricity. Water hookups are not as common and sewer is rare. Check the availability of hookups before, not after, your arrive. Then if full hookups are more important to you than space, privacy, and scenery go to a private park. Showers are not free either. Expect to pay a dollar to a dollar and a half or use your in house facility. CO state parks are extremely popular so make reservations especially on the weekends.

TEXAS-- Most state parks here also charge daily fees in addition to camping fees.

NM--This state has a unique system of reservations. Each park has up to half of its spaces on a first come basis. Even if is the national reservation system says the park is full there may still be spaces. Check with the park. Also and, most importantly, each reserved site has either a green or a red reserved sign. A red sign means it is reserved for that night. A green sign means it is open for one night only and you can park there. This is great information for overnight stops. Do not expect full hook ups, individual water hookups or green grass. NM is a poor and very dry state. It is considered high desert. Showers are free but you have to push the cut on button every minute.

2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

To add to the list started by the OP:

State of WA parks are excellent and many have full hookups. If you are staying at a CG you do not have to pay the day use fee at the park. Reservations are via a good online system, but you will have to pay a reservation fee and may have to pay an non-resident fee as well.

As someone who volunteers at a WA state park, I suggest that people try to understand the difference between our federal government and those of the 50 states. Your federal senior pass does not work at most state parks; get over it and stop acting so surprised!

3. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(docj @ Jul 21 2013, 10:16 PM) [snapback]34199[/snapback]

As someone who volunteers at a WA state park, I suggest that people try to understand the difference between our federal government and those of the 50 states. Your federal senior pass does not work at most state parks; get over it and stop acting so surprised!

I was amazed to find out how many places DO honor the federal senior pass. At one attraction that was administered by a county, we were surprised to be asked if we had the federal pass. If so, the admission was 50% off. After that, I always asked. No charge for asking...... I love to save money. I'm not the slightest bit shy about asking for a discount.

4. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

There's no harm in asking, but just don't act surprised or offended if the answer is "no". As a senior I get disgusted by the senior "entitlement mentality" in which it is assumed that seniors are entitled to discounts, priority seating, etc, just because they are seniors. If you haven't seen this in action, try staying in FL for a while. I appreciate any entity that gives me a discount or a priority; I don't assume that I am entitled to one.

5. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(docj @ Jul 28 2013, 07:18 PM) [snapback]34262[/snapback]

There's no harm in asking, but just don't act surprised or offended if the answer is "no". As a senior I get disgusted by the senior "entitlement mentality" in which it is assumed that seniors are entitled to discounts, priority seating, etc, just because they are seniors. If you haven't seen this in action, try staying in FL for a while. I appreciate any entity that gives me a discount or a priority; I don't assume that I am entitled to one.

Why would you assume I'd get "offended" if the answer is no? I also ask if there is a AAA, AARP or a brown-eyed-female-Democrat-born-on-a-Tuesday discount. I'm delighted if there is; I'm fine if there isn't. It has nothing to do with the fact that I am or am not a senior.....I've always been glad to receive a discount. I lived for years in a middle east country where bargaining is de rigueur; it's in my blood. I've resided in Florida for the last 35 years and I can't say I've seen a whole lot of "senior entitlement mentality" but maybe I'm just not looking for it. On the other hand, I was at a festival last week and had managed to snag a front-row bleacher seat to watch a show. I sat in the sun for 40 minutes waiting for the show to start and at the last minute two young women showed up, one pregnant and one pushing a stroller. They demanded (not asked) that someone give up their seats so that they could sit down because of their "need to sit". I declined on the basis of MY need to sit and the fact that I had bothered to be there early to get a seat. The elderly couple next to me got up and let them have their seats. So, "entitlement mentality" isn't exclusive to the over-65 crowd.

6. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

True that some people don't demand their discounts but, as a CG manager, we have had many that do. One man had PA, Good Sams, AARP, and a couple of others and got angry that I wouldn't give him his discount on all of them at the same time. I have actually had some tell me "I'm a Sr. citizen and I want my damn discount". I don't mind a bit if people ask for one but I do mind if they think they are entitled.

jamaryann1, I didn't see where docj was saying you would get upset. I think he was talking about everyone in general. I saw no offense there but you did seem to take offense at the comment.