Changes To Review Submittals

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Webmaster, Jul 4, 2006.

1. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Fitzjohnfan,

This information is correct. Also people need to note if review is over six months old it will not be posted on line. So if you only write one review a year you will never see your review due to old age. As soon as you post three reviews on line then you can post as slow as you wish as long as you get them posted inside the six month date. ;)

2. Kawartha

Kawartha
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Fitzjohnfan @ Oct 6 2011, 10:36 PM) [snapback]27829[/snapback]

I think they meant that if you are a seasonal camper, you would only stay at one or two parks for the whole year, and possibly those one or two parks are the only ones they stay at (ever), so they might never get over the 3 park minimum and their reviews would never show up.

Just my interpritation.

That is indeed correct. I am glad that someone is good at basic reading. :D :D

Kawartha

3. Iluvcamp

Iluvcamp
    Expand Collapse

4. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

While this post is not about 3 reviews, or 5 reviews, or how soon my review will get posted, or getting more admins, it does sort of fit a discussion of how the reviews get posted. I have no problem with the 3 review requirement, am patient enough to wait a week or two for my reviews to post, and absolutely understand how tough a job the admins do in checking the reviews as submitted. In this thread, they have been too kind in critiquing how poorly written many reviews are. I know I couldn't do their job simply because I get frustrated too easily with how poorly educated the average person is today.

All that aside, my picky complaint is that, mainly during the busy summer backlog period, my reviews are not posted in the order submitted. If I submit 5 reviews in a week, three different admins may get those reviews to check. Thus, the reviews may not post in the order I visited the parks or in the order submited (I now try to make these have the same chronological order). My most recent trip (5 weeks and 20 or so parks) has has half the parks out of chronological order in the listing of all my reviews. Somebody looking at that list would think that I went to LA then NM then OK then AZ then TX then NM and so on (OK, this is an example, not the exact way my trip is reflected in my review list.).

Is there any way that the reviews can be listed in the Reviewer's personal list of all his'her reviews in the order of the date that we enter as the date we stayed at the park? Not a big deal for most people, but for those of us who take fairly long trips with stops at numerous parks it would be nice to see our review list reflect our actual route in the correct order.

Thanks.

5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Nov 8 2011, 11:41 PM) [snapback]28146[/snapback]

my reviews are not posted in the order submitted. Is there any way that the reviews can be listed in the Reviewer's personal list of all his'her reviews in the order of the date that we enter as the date we stayed at the park?

You know I never noticed this until you mentioned it, and I agree with you that it would look better if reviews were in chronological order of the date of stay. Right now I assume they are in the order of the time/date they are posted, and yes, that can be different times/dates if different admins check them. This probably happens to you a lot because you do send in several reviews at the same time, and therefore, it is likely that more than one admin will work them.

I do not know if this can be corrected. It is far above my pay grade, but I will pass along your suggestion, and maybe it will happen. Thanks for mentioning it.

6. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the quick response TX. As I indicated, this "problem" is not a big deal. If you look at my reviews for my fall (Oct/Nov) trip and my summer (Jul-Sep) trip, the order of the reviews as listed makes it look like I was all over the place zig-zagging and going back and forth. If it canbe fixed without too much trouble, fine. If not, no problem.

7. Skid Row Joe

Skid Row Joe
    Expand Collapse

I have stayed in a commercial RV park that is not listed in the city and state that it exists. Is this because the RV park owner or manager needs to initiate the RV park for reviewing in the first place? I cannot find a way to review this RV park I have now stayed at twice in one year.

Forgive me if this is covered in FAQs, but I'm not finding it.

Thank you.

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

When you click on "Submit Review" you will first get a screen that asks you choose the state the park is in. The next screen asks you to select a park from one of the lists below and then click on Next. The instructions then say:

If the campground is not in either list, choose "Not in List" and click NEXT to enter a new park.

This should allow you to enter a park that is not already in our database and write a review for it.

Please let us know if you have any more trouble.

9. Skid Row Joe

Skid Row Joe
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Jan 11 2012, 03:48 PM) [snapback]28587[/snapback]

When you click on "Submit Review" you will first get a screen that asks you choose the state the park is in. The next screen asks you to select a park from one of the lists below and then click on Next. The instructions then say:

If the campground is not in either list, choose "Not in List" and click NEXT to enter a new park.

This should allow you to enter a park that is not already in our database and write a review for it.

Please let us know if you have any more trouble.

Texasrvers/Moderator,

Got it. Will do.

Thanks,
    SRJ

10. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Back in November of 2011 in this thread, I asked about having the each individual reviewer's list of reviews to be shown in the same chronological order as the reviewer stayed at the parks. From the response I received, I was led to believe the problem is that reviews are posted by the date they clear the admin's review. Depending on which admin gets a review to check and how large their backlog is, the time of posting can vary by weeks during the summer crunch. I can live with that even though it makes my review list looks really strange as I explained 3 months ago.

Yesterday I sent in a review on Oasis RV Park in Amarillo because I had to wait 90 days to send in a second review of the park I had stayed at and reviewed in mid-October. Because I did not want the review to post after the last few parks (in OK and MO) I stayed in at the start of November, I listed the "stay date" as 10/31 rather than the actual stay date of 11/1. I expected the review to show up on my list as my last October review. Instead, it not only posted over a dozen spots before the last October review on my list, it actually posted before my mid-October review of Oasis RV park. That really looks goofy.

I do have one more review for the final night of that trip in Effingham, IL to write for that trip. I would like to think that review will post as the final (for now) review on my list.

11. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

OK, you’ve got me on this one. When I replied to your Nov. 2011 post I could see that your reviews were not listed in the order in which you stayed at the parks, and I agreed with you that in my opinion they should be. Since they weren’t in chronological order I said I ASSUMED that they must be in the posting order. However, with what you have reported now that does not seem to be the case either. And I agree with you again. If your last review was dated 10/31/2011, it should have been listed after all the other reviews that were written earlier in that month. I have no idea why it wasn’t, but I am not going to assume anymore that it was for one reason or another. I do know that I cannot fix it because it is still way above my pay grade. Maybe the webmaster can eventually find some time to fix it.

12. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Hi TX,

Thanks for the quick response. Your reasoning back in October trying to explain why most of my summer and fall trip reviews were all over the place chronologically made sense to me. This one, however, has no rhyme or reason. Why would a review with a stay date of 10/31 and submitted 3 months after all the other Oct/Nov reviews be placed before over a dozen other October reviews? Additionally, the fact that it was placed just before the first review of Oasis is just too weird to be a coincidence. At the very least, it would be nice if the second Oasis review (the one which mentions being submitted 2/12) could be moved to just before the Nov. reviews.

13. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

I am not affiliated with this web site in any capacity more than a contributor to the forums and submitting my own personal reviews. I do have some experience with web sites and the back end databases they use

While doing the review the date of stay does include the day of the month, it appears that it is only sorting by month and year when displaying reviews. Note that they do not show a day in a review, only the month and year. It may even be possible that the day is not being saved to the database, if so, then it would be impossible to sort in true chronological order. If, however, the entire date is being saved, then the query could be changed for review display to include the day as well.

Again, read disclaimer at the top - these are only my opinions, and do not reflect the views of this web site - and in fact may not reflect the truth.

14. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

I hate to ask what, to many of you, may seem to be obvious but....what difference does it make what the order is?

15. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Feb 23 2012, 09:13 AM) [snapback]28833[/snapback]

I hate to ask what, to many of you, may seem to be obvious but....what difference does it make what the order is?

The best way I can explain it is that we are just wired that way--it is in our genes. Remember the TV show "Monk" and how he had to have everything just so. I'm not anywhere near that bad (I hope), but if things are not in a certain order, then they are not just right and it bothers us. A place for everything and everything in its place. Then there are those poor souls that order does not matter, and the result is we drive each other crazy. Try that combination in a marriage!!!! But ours has lasted 43 years so I guess we have been able to work things out--as long as we do it my way. :)

16. normanspaulding

normanspaulding
    Expand Collapse

Yes it is sad cause many of the parks are greedy and providing bad service now.

17. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Norman,

Are you sure your post of 2/24/12 is for this thread? I went back through the previous 2 pages of posts and found none to which your post could possibly relate.

18. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jerry S. @ Feb 24 2012, 11:40 PM) [snapback]28851[/snapback]

Norman,

Are you sure your post of 2/24/12 is for this thread? I went back through the previous 2 pages of posts and found none to which your post could possibly relate.

I think they read the OP only and replied - from the OP:
    "Sorry we have to do this but some campground owner's/employees think they don't have to follow the rules of this website and continue to try to post great reviews about their campground."

19. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Happiest. I suppose that is possible. I just find it unusual that someone would go back 5+ years and 300 posts and make a comment that does not seem to relate to any of the recent comments in the thread. Hopefully, we will hear from Norman.

20. sass

sass
    Expand Collapse

I actually came to gripe about park owners/managers/employees/family/friends and pets posting reviews of their parks. Seems I've been beaten to the punch.

The biased posts are, for us old timers, easy to pick out, but to the uninitiated, maybe not so easy.

I wised up after calling a park in Oregon to make a reservation. I mentioned the good reviews I'd seen on RV Park Reviews. The dude on the phone said he was glad I liked them, since he wrote more than a few of them.

Long story short, the park was no where near what was advertised in the reviews the owner (as he turned out to be) had planted. It was a holiday weekend, so I was stuck. And not real happy. As my travels continued, I found more and more parks reviewed in this site were similarly misrepresented. But, what to do?

I'm not sure the new standard that requires reviews of three different parks to qualify for submission is adequate. All an owner/manager/employee/family/friend or pet has/have to do is find a few parks in the area (or as near as possible) and give them bad reviews. I've seen that done as well.

I'm not sure there is a way to keep the crafty liars out. All we can do is know they are there.

This might help.

The misleading "reviews" are most easily identified when they only discuss the "amenities" and pay no attention to the actual issues you generally have at an RV site. Like road conditions, tree overhang, site level, electrical power quality, water pressure, is there or is there not a sewer connection if they advertise that there is, does wifi cost extra, is there OTA TV, if not, is there cable and does it cost extra, can you catch a satellite?

These are all things, if we keep them in mind and address as many as possible in OUR reviews, that will more than highlight the bogus and generally untruthful, glossed over "reviews" posted by park owners/managers/employees/family/friends and pets.

Steve