Changes To Review Submittals

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Webmaster, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

The webmasters are probably busy, jobs, everyday life, etc. They do not get paid to run this site, they do it out of goodwill and the love of camping. As long as your reviews meet the guidelines, they will post it when they have time. It sometimes takes a few days. If you don't see it after a week or so, resubmit using these guidelines (found on the review notice page)
    • Due to the volume of reviews that we receive, we need your help! Please punctuate your reviews correctly, and use mixed case. Include 2 spaces after punctuation at the end of sentences and 1 space after commas, and use Proper Case! DO NOT USE ALL CAPITALS! or all lower case, PLEASE!
    • Spelling "my best camp" or "my town" without the first letter being a capital letter or "WISCONSIN" in all capitals is not correct punctuation. "My Best Camp" and "My Town" and "Wisconsin" is correct!
    • Everything that you enter wrong (including partial names of campgrounds) has to be re-entered by hand. So if you entered "My Best" and it should read "My Best Campground" you will know why your review was not posted!
    • You must enter the exact state and city that the campground is in or the review will not be posted.
    • Do not add extra "notes" with the city such as "near Chicago" as this just has to be removed. Enter just the city where the campground is actually located--nothing more!
    • You must provide an accurate complete name of the campground you are giving the review on. Entering just "KOA" is not good enough, as there could be more than one KOA in the area. If we can not verify that the review matches the city and campground, then we will not post the review.
    • Take the time to find and enter the campgrounds website, but get it correct please. Entering a website such as http://www.koa.com is not correct, as that is the main website for KOA and not the campground you are giving the review on.
    Don't get discouraged, the more reviews on here the better!

2. blomquir

blomquir
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Cheryl @ Aug 9 2006, 05:24 PM) [snapback]4755[/snapback]

[*]Spelling "my best camp" or "my town" without the first letter being a capital letter or "WISCONSIN" in all capitals is not correct punctuation. "My Best Camp" and "My Town" and "Wisconsin" is correct!

I guess I don't understand your quote and instruction about capitalization.

If I'm writing at sentence such as:

"My best camp........" why would I capitalize the "b" in best and the "c" in camp?

or

"My town is very much like........" why would I capitalize the "t" in town?

Not trying to pick a fight but I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

V/R

Rich

3. johnwadams

johnwadams
    Expand Collapse

Why not:
    1. If someone posts a review for a CG that has already had reviews posted for it and their review is in line with the others, let it post, regardless of it being someones first post.
    2. Since the worry is that CG owners will overate their campground, allow all average or below average reviews post at once.
    3. Let the readers use some common sense. I don't see the percieved problem unless an owner posts a 5 star review for his campground and no one else has ever posted anything about the CG, either positive or negative. Most readers have access to the Trailer Life Directory or Woddalls and will try to do additional checking on a CG with only one review.

Last:
    How many campground owners have actually been caught posting overrated reviews for their campgrounds???
    John of Memphis

4. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

I guess I don't understand your quote and instruction about capitalization.

If I'm writing at sentence such as:

"My best camp........" why would I capitalize the "b" in best and the "c" in camp?

or

"My town is very much like........" why would I capitalize the "t" in town?

Not trying to pick a fight but I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

V/R

Rich

First off, these are not my instructions. I copied and pasted them from this site's submit a review notice page. My interpretation is that they are using My Best Camp as an example name of a campground and My Town as an example of the town the campground is in.

5. genestoy

genestoy
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

The "My Best Camp" refers to the actual name of the campground not the comments section in other words you would enter New York KOA, not New york koa or new york koa. and the "My Town" refers to entering New York, not New york or new york. Of course these would only matter if the campground had never been reviewed before as the correct names and punctuation should already be there in the list. :)

6. PatJ3

PatJ3
    Expand Collapse

:( Bad Idea. I understand WHY it is necessary, but isn't there a better way? Some people only camp once or twice a year and need a good reccommendation or a warning "not to go there". Some people only post once or twice a year. Try to come up with a BETTER solution - otherwise, Why have the reviews in the first place?

7. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

Thats to bad. I gave my first review for a park I really loved and it's a shame people won't hear about it. I use this site quite often, my wife and I try and get away once a month or so. I would like to be able to check for recent reviews instead of going somewhere and finding out the place was a dump and the review was being held. I sure hate to waste a weekend because a few moron's ruin it for the majority of honest people that really enjoy this site and benefit from it. Oh well, only takes a few.

8. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Cheryl @ Aug 9 2006, 05:24 PM) [snapback]4755[/snapback]

The webmasters are probably busy, jobs, everyday life, etc. They do not get paid to run this site, they do it out of goodwill and the love of camping. As long as your reviews meet the guidelines, they will post it when they have time. It sometimes takes a few days. If you don't see it after a week or so, resubmit using these guidelines (found on the review notice page)
    • Due to the volume of reviews that we receive, we need your help! Please punctuate your reviews correctly, and use mixed case. Include 2 spaces after punctuation at the end of sentences and 1 space after commas, and use Proper Case! DO NOT USE ALL CAPITALS! or all lower case, PLEASE!
    • Spelling "my best camp" or "my town" without the first letter being a capital letter or "WISCONSIN" in all capitals is not correct punctuation. "My Best Camp" and "My Town" and "Wisconsin" is correct!
    • Everything that you enter wrong (including partial names of campgrounds) has to be re-entered by hand. So if you entered "My Best" and it should read "My Best Campground" you will know why your review was not posted!
    • You must enter the exact state and city that the campground is in or the review will not be posted.
    • Do not add extra "notes" with the city such as "near Chicago" as this just has to be removed. Enter just the city where the campground is actually located--nothing more!
    • You must provide an accurate complete name of the campground you are giving the review on. Entering just "KOA" is not good enough, as there could be more than one KOA in the area. If we can not verify that the review matches the city and campground, then we will not post the review.
    • Take the time to find and enter the campgrounds website, but get it correct please. Entering a website such as http://www.koa.com is not correct, as that is the main website for KOA and not the campground you are giving the review on.
    Don't get discouraged, the more reviews on here the better!

You can't resubmit, it says you have already submitted a review of this site and have to wait 90 days before submitting another one. Did I miss something. I love this site and would like to submit more as my wife and travel almost once a month to a place somewhere we have seen on this site.

9. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(blomquir @ Jul 27 2006, 10:06 PM) [snapback]4667[/snapback]

I submitted 1 in 2004 which is still out and can be read. I also submitted one a week or 2 ago from a trip we made last year (never posted on the site but now I know why).

Fast forward to tonight. I just reviewed another CG we stayed at in June. When I finished that I saw a notice on the top of the page that said something to the effect of "thanks for submitting a review, we're holding it until you reach 3 reviews of different campgrounds, you have 1 of the 3 required on hold".

So the system is not counting the one I have published from 2004, nor it is recognizing the one I reported on a couple of weeks ago (from a trip last summer). Frustrating................

p.s. I think those folks that are submitting bogus reports to bolster campgrounds should be identified on the page.

Now thats a great idea!!!!!!!!!!

10. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

You can't resubmit, it says you have already submitted a review of this site and have to wait 90 days before submitting another one. Did I miss something. I love this site and would like to submit more as my wife and travel almost once a month to a place somewhere we have seen on this site.

Since I can't see your review, I can't tell you why they didn't post it. Your best bet would be to PM the webmaster and ask what went wrong. I would guess that the 90 day wait is so that one person can't flood the site with reviews about one campground. Just another way they are trying to keep the site "legit".

11. lagerdaddy

lagerdaddy
    Expand Collapse

It would not suprise me at all if many of the reviews I have read here are phonies. That's what the world has come to. But as one person said here in so many words, rules are for honest people. There is no sure way to prevent the dishonest from promoting themselves and discrediting others in this manner, it's just not that hard to do. What I suggest is this:

Give the readers a little credit, most of us are smart enough to do the math. Ten great reviews (9-10), five good (7-8), two awful reviews 1-2, that's just as easy to figure out as the CG three miles away with the reverse ratings!

Make it mandatory for users to give their full information, name address and phone number. This won't prevent fraud, but will discourage it, especially if the info is verified from time to time. And make the users accept a USER AGREEMENT, in which they electronically "sign" and accept the terms.

If any user provides false, misleading, or otherwise dishonest information, can em! If they are found to be CG owners, report them on the reviews.

Otherwise, you have created an atmosphere in which honest people are forced to prove their credibility, which I personally think is offensive. I stayed at a great CG last week that got good reviews on this site. Let me tell everyone about it! NOW! :blink:

12. lagerdaddy

lagerdaddy
    Expand Collapse

I failed to make one further suggestion. Delete reviews over two years old, this will help people to be more objective also.

13. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

I would have no problem with giving my full name, in fact it is my user name, so no big secret there. But as someone who has been the victim of identity theft - posting your address and phone number is asking for trouble. Another consideration is that we all talk about our upcoming trips - would you want your address posted in the same forum where you have announced you will be away from your home? I certainly would not....

14. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(rodman @ Aug 18 2006, 03:10 PM) [snapback]4854[/snapback]
    Thats to bad. I gave my first review for a park I really loved and it's a shame people won't hear about it. I use this site quite often, my wife and I try and get away once a month or so. I would like to be able to check for recent reviews instead of going somewhere and finding out the place was a dump and the review was being held. I sure hate to waste a weekend because a few moron's ruin it for the majority of honest people that really enjoy this site and benefit from it. Oh well, only takes a few.

Since you camp once a month, it will be no time before you have the 3 that are neccessary. Why not post on some of the parks or campgrounds you have been to in the past few months?

15. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

Okay guys, it may be my "over 40 brain" being in meltdown, but I really don't understand all the hoopla concerning the rules. Life has rules - that's just the way it is. Our wonderful webmaster has gone to the trouble and time to try and set some boundaries in place, which are mainly to protect the integrity of the forum and reviews, and I don't think that 3 reviews are too much for him to ask of us. Surely most campers have been to at least 3 campgrounds or parks. When I worked, I didn't care for most of my boss'es rules either, but I never asked her to change them to suit me, I just did what I had to do to abide by the boundaries. I know this may anger some of you but as I said, it is only 3 reviews, not 30. Surely, most of you see that he cannot just allow reviews to be posted helter skelter. He is doing what he can to insure the honesty of the information being submitted and I commend and thank him for it....

16. genestoy

genestoy
    Expand Collapse

I second Cheryl's reply 100%. Life has rules, heck I can do 3 reviews in 3 days travelling. You can't tell me that nearly everybody who has an rv has not or will not stay at three different campgrounds at some point? Very few people will only go to just one campground, and think about that, if they do only go to one campground do you honestly think that they would give that campground a poor review? I think not, as they would not keep going back to just that one campground if it was poor, so what value would that review have? :( I think the webmaster has implemented some good things to help keep the reviews as honest as they can be. You can't please everybody 100% of the time, it is their website and they will do what they wish and we will have to live by it or leave it, it is that simple!

17. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Cheryl @ Aug 18 2006, 04:00 PM) [snapback]4857[/snapback]

Since I can't see your review, I can't tell you why they didn't post it. Your best bet would be to PM the webmaster and ask what went wrong. I would guess that the 90 day wait is so that one person can't flood the site with reviews about one campground. Just another way they are trying to keep the site "legit".

Thanks for your reply, PM? I did e-mail them asking that very question in case I did do something wrong so it wouldn't happen again and also have not received a reply. I'll have to just continue reading other peoples reviews. Like I posted we do travel a bit.

18. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Cheryl Fuller @ Aug 20 2006, 09:00 PM) [snapback]4891[/snapback]

QUOTE(rodman @ Aug 18 2006, 03:10 PM) [snapback]4854[/snapback]

Since you camp once a month, it will be no time before you have the 3 that are neccessary. Why not post on some of the parks or campgrounds you have been to in the past few months?

Thank you, I will. I have no complaint about what they are doing, after all I'm not the one having to try and run this site. I believe all they do is a great benifit to all of us.

19. Cheryl

Cheryl
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your reply, PM? I did e-mail them asking that very question in case I did do something wrong so it wouldn't happen again and also have not received a reply. I'll have to just continue reading other peoples reviews. Like I posted we do travel a bit.

PM stands for personal message - same as an email only it goes through this site instead of having to use an email address. The recipient will receive notification when they log on here. Less chance of having your message blocked by email filters.
    Also, I noticed there are a lot of new reviews posted today. Maybe yours is included.

20. lagerdaddy

lagerdaddy
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Cheryl Fuller @ Aug 20 2006, 11:57 PM) [snapback]4890[/snapback]

I would have no problem with giving my full name, in fact it is my user name, so no big secret there. But as someone who has been the victim of identity theft - posting your address and phone number is asking for trouble. Another consideration is that we all talk about our upcoming trips - would you want your address posted in the same forum where you have announced you will be away from your home? I certainly would not....

Misunderstood...........the story of my life. Address and phone number to REGISTER, not posted. :p