Changes To Review Submittals

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Webmaster, Jul 4, 2006.

1. gwbrown

gwbrown
    Expand Collapse

i need to buy a dinghy to tow behind my 40' diesel. i am torn between the new Dodge Nitro and the Jeep Liberty. any suggestions, as i am new to motorhoming. thanks Gary

2. leftyf

leftyf
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Butch @ Oct 2 2007, 01:38 PM) [snapback]8531[/snapback]

Kitten4762,

After looking through over 1800 reviews, I only found two written under "Kitten4762".
    1) Gatewood Park & Reservoir, and 2) Oceanlakes Family Campground. You state that you had three, but the third one is not showing on the list, what happen ?? I don't know. Re-post the third one again, if it takes it that will show that for some reason it was kicked out. Just trying to help, good luck.

I did the same thing. Whenever I posted it always told me that I had only posted two. I poated 5. Today it says I haven't posted any.

You need to abuse your webmaster a little cause he's letting stuff slip thru the crack.

3. Webmaster

Webmaster
    Expand Collapse

lefty - I'm seeing 4 reviews from you, all online and active.

others:

If you see the message saying you have posted x of 3 required reviews, and the review you have just attempted to submit is still showing on the screen, then you need to scroll down and look for the stuff highlighted in pink, as their is a problem with your submission.

If you get the message saying x of 3 along with a Thank you message, your review has been submitted and is online.

I think many people are seeing the 0 of x message, and the system has a problem with their review. Unless you see the thank you, your review is NOT complete.

Please give it another shot. The system works or we wouldn't have over 38000 reviews online!

No webmaster abuse necessary!

4. Browzin

Browzin
    Expand Collapse

Personally I feel that the Webmaster has done a fantastic job :D , even if some minor problems do crop up from time to time. You have to remember that some one had to review those 38,000 plus reviews and that takes time and dedicated effort. Instead of abusing some one that is working very hard to offer you a "FREE" service, how about appreciating and understanding the time & effort that the webmaster is putting forth.

5. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Browzin,

We agree with you, and say, thank you. Very well put.

6. kitten4762

kitten4762
    Expand Collapse

My reviews were finally posted. I had to go back and rewrite the third review and it took a couple of times of trying to resubmit it before it actually took. There were no spelling errors, etc. that I'm aware of so I have no idea what the problem was... but they are posted now. Thanks to all for their encouraging words.

7. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

I make a point of letting the campground know right up front that I used the reviews to find them, and because of what I read, I'm spending my money with them. Some parks don't even know that the site exists, and others are well aware that many people use this site. Many owners or managers are using this information to improve there parks and business, and then there are others that just don't get it. They will eventually be loosing a lot of their business from this wonderful tool.

8. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(weighit @ Nov 3 2007, 07:06 PM) [snapback]9007[/snapback]

I make a point of letting the campground know right up front that I used the reviews to find them, and because of what I read, I'm spending my money with them. Some parks don't even know that the site exists, and others are well aware that many people use this site. Many owners or managers are using this information to improve there parks and business, and then there are others that just don't get it. They will eventually be loosing a lot of their business from this wonderful tool.

If the webmaster promises not to shoot me..... there are two other campground review sites that take reviews from us common folk. However, this one is the most comprehensive. The other two sites don't have as many reviews as this one does. The other two sites don't have the "questionnaire" with the review. You just write and send it in. The other two sites don't have the "forum" that this one does. I like this forum.

JJ

9. Carly

Carly
    Expand Collapse

I have been posting on here for quite a while (couple of years anyway) but none of the reviews I've sent in within the last month have been posted. Are they not getting through?

10. ddbradley952

ddbradley952
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Webmaster @ Jul 4 2006, 09:18 AM) [snapback]4533[/snapback]

We have found it necessary to add some more security to the website when it comes to approving reviews. All members will now have to submit a minimum of five (5) different campgrounds before any of their reviews will be posted on the website. If you have not seen a recent review you submitted posted on the website that is because it is in a holding queue until the five review quota has been met and then they will automatically transfer to the approval queue and will then be posted. Any member that has already posted five or more will see no change. Sorry we have to do this but some campground owner's/employees think they don't have to follow the rules of this website and continue to try to post great reviews about their campground. The "great" campgrounds will never have to do that as they will always receive positive reviews from their customers. :) We have caught several and will continue to do so to try to keep this website as it was intended.

****RE: Unscrupulous Campground operators!****

Ok, folks, (and pretty ladies too), it goes like this. If some "One In a Million" unscrupulous campground operator decides one day to be clever and start posting Rave reviews across the internet about themselves, we probably do not need to get our undies bunched up because in theory, the truth will eventually come forth and set the record straight resulting in backfire.

First of all, the only people who will see the reviews (either valid or in question) would be limited to people who read this site IE, you and I. Then, supposing the review enticed one of us to visit their place, then I or we would compare the information given and probably feel compelled to re-write a new (and possibly different) review, thus invalidating any false reviews.

Works both ways, too. Suppose someone wrote "False and Derogatory" information against an honest and hardworking Campground owner? Well, once again, this hopefully should backfire because I there might be a few of us others out here who, like myself, make it a point sometimes to go out of our way to visit these types of places just to see if it really is that bad!

Since I drive an older (but extremely clean) rig, I sometimes fit in with the older crowds.

It takes all kinds to make the world go around and some might feel exactly the oposite (or the same) way about a place in terms of what they likes/dislikes.

Apreciate your feedback by the way.

11. reddie

reddie
    Expand Collapse

We found out about this website on RV.net. We have made two long trips this year, and we found ourselves looking for the park on this website, as we planned our trip from destination to destination. When we got home we decided to join, because we, having gotten a "heads up" before going to a particular park probably saved us a lot of grief trying to get our 40' rig through. We also avoided hanging limbs and scratches. Although Trailer Life is good, and the descriptions of campgrounds OK, it is still more informative reading experiences of fellow RV'ers. Unfortunately, as happened at the KOA in Gretna/Omaha, we paid over $50.00 for a space our rig hardly fit in.

As for posting again if we stay at an RV park a second and third time--I think it's a good idea. Campgrounds change owners, and things change and are updated. With us posting reviews, I think it may improve conditions in campgrounds and parks. Some interior roads are very bad, tree limbs need to be trimmed, and the utilities are falling apart.

This forum can cause positive change. If a campground improves, then we should write another review. If it goes downhill, we should write another review. I believe that just letting their campgrounds go (not keeping interior roads and hook ups in good condition) won't cut it anymore. With the internet, forums like this, and RV.net can either hurt or help their business.

12. reddie

reddie
    Expand Collapse

Another note: I totally agree with the above member who posted that he looks up other campgrounds when he gets to his destination. We also ride through other campgrounds when we get to a destination. (for example: while in Custer, South Dakota we visited every campground there. When we go back we will not stay in the campground that we stayed in.

I believe unscrupulous campground owners will be caught, as long as we as members attempt to do fair reviews on all the campgrounds and parks we visit. With a majority posting, anything phoney will stand out more.

Good idea on telling the park owner that we found them on this web site when we check in.

13. ddbradley952

ddbradley952
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(reddie @ Dec 3 2007, 10:06 PM) [snapback]9345[/snapback]

Another note: I totally agree with the above member who posted that he looks up other campgrounds when he gets to his destination. We also ride through other campgrounds when we get to a destination. (for example: while in Custer, South Dakota we visited every campground there. When we go back we will not stay in the campground that we stayed in.

I believe unscrupulous campground owners will be caught, as long as we as members attempt to do fair reviews on all the campgrounds and parks we visit. With a majority posting, anything phoney will stand out more.

Good idea on telling the park owner that we found them on this web site when we check in.

People seem to be making a bigger deal than they should regarding the potential possibility that some reviews may actually not be from campers themselves, but rather unscrupulous campground operators. Chances are, it's only 1 in a million and there is an equal one in a million chance that a cg review was full of B.S. from a legitimate camper who has different tastes than the rest of the world. They might be from another planet altogether, like Ted Kazinski, the sociopathic unabomber.

IT SEEMS TO ME THAT THE REAL SOLUTION to this potential problem WHICH WE DO NOT KNOW FOR SURE IF IT REALLY EVEN EXISTS, is really quite simple. ALLOW Camp Ground OPERATORS TO BE PART OF OUR DISCUSSION HERE.dON'T EXCLUDE THEM, they are important human beings too. Modify the website to allow for this. If you noticed that after every review there is a sentence that says; "I CAMPED HERE IN A ______ TYPE UNIT.

How about something like this; (I.T. folks will understand and apreciate this) ADD AN OPTION in this box which could say something else like: "I did not camp here, I am the authorized spoksperson for this location. Allow them to state only factual statements and not candy coated opinions. This would remove the need to be unscrupulous and sneaky in the first place.

Consider this point; imagine if you were a small business owner and your small business was the pride and joy of your life, and imagine a world where absolutely any one person on the plannet were allowed to write derogatory information against your business and defame your reputation permenantly and you never were given ANY OPPORTUNITY to defend or explain yourself or your side of the story, no chance to speak, not allowed to reply, you just had to eat crow pie, like it or not. Seems rather un-American to me and I would resent this and I think any small owner would be outraged. I know I would. I personally like to get the whole story, not just half of the truth, because then I can make a more intelegent decision because I have twice as much information. Anyone ever falsly acused should see my point about what is right or wrong.

If you agree with this point I am trying to make, do the world (or me and you) a favor and send a little feedback to the web-master suggesting the benifits of this type of modification. It only makes sense, It seems more fair. The other detail could include limiting the reviews identified as being posted by a CG operator, limiting them from writing about any other campgrounds and allowing them an exception to get their information posted without having to write reviews of other campgrounds. I have a feeling that the webmaster of this site is only doing this as a hobby. I kind of like Woodalls because it doesn't seem like a gossip circle. More objective in my opinion.

14. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

If there is any doubt about "unscrupulous campground owners" making unjustified posts about their own or their competitors campgrounds, have a look at the postings for Plattsburg, NY. Check out the "other reviews posted" for each one. Some people have posted only reviews of the two competing campgrounds, ex. 3 extremely positive of one and 3 extremely negative of the other....

15. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

--------------------
    'reddie' date='Dec 3 2007:
    This forum can cause positive change. If a campground improves, then we should write another review. If it goes downhill, we should write another review. I believe that just letting their campgrounds go (not keeping interior roads and hook ups in good condition) won't cut it anymore. With the internet, forums like this, and RV.net can either hurt or help their business.
    ---------------------

Good points! We totally agree. Thanks for joining in.

16. stanbnv

stanbnv
    Expand Collapse

I wish I had read this before I posted about my favorite campground in Mexico. I wouldn't have taken the time! So long RV Park reviews, you are off my favorites list. :angry:

17. Webmaster

Webmaster
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(stanbnv @ Mar 16 2008, 10:32 AM) [snapback]10758[/snapback]

I wish I had read this before I posted about my favorite campground in Mexico. I wouldn't have taken the time! So long RV Park reviews, you are off my favorites list. :angry:

Actually Stan the standard listed in the original version of this thread said 5 reviews, that was only the case for a few weeks. We relaxed this to 3 reviews a long long time ago, and I plan to remove this limit completely at some point in the near future.

18. inkd4life

inkd4life
    Expand Collapse

This is a great site. I just started camping in April of 2007, when we baught our first travel trailer. I was keeping a notebook in the camper and writing down my review for each campground, then I found this site so I just wrote 11 different reviews.

19. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Welcome aboard Inkd4life :D
    We had been doing the notebook thing as well...and happened onto this site trying to Google information about an RV resort in out-of-way community of Aguanga, California.
    Love the organization of this site as opposed to the hap-hazard methods to gain a park review at RV.net or iRV2.com.

Just today handed an RV neighbor a copy of the download 'ad' from this site...as he'd never heard of us. Pass the word! Cheers!
    B)

20. csvreno

csvreno
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Webmaster @ Jul 4 2006, 08:18 AM) [snapback]4533[/snapback]

We have found it necessary to add some more security to the website when it comes to approving reviews. All members will now have to submit a minimum of three (3) different campgrounds before any of their reviews will be posted on the website. If you have not seen a recent review you submitted posted on the website that is because it is in a holding queue until the five review quota has been met and then they will automatically transfer to the approval queue and will then be posted. Any member that has already posted five or more will see no change. Sorry we have to do this but some campground owner's/employees think they don't have to follow the rules of this website and continue to try to post great reviews about their campground. The "great" campgrounds will never have to do that as they will always receive positive reviews from their customers. :) We have caught several and will continue to do so to try to keep this website as it was intended.

It's too bad that a security feature is needed. Unfortunately, it makes a sad sense. I'd hate to get suckered into a crummy park at the end of a long day, such as under the railroad tracks; it happened once in Eugene, OR. Thanks for a valuable resource.