Co-pilots

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by RLM, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Joe-n-Doe

Joe-n-Doe
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Lindsay Richards @ Feb 14 2008, 07:34 PM) [snapback]10274[/snapback]

My wife isn't the co-pilot, she is the boss of the whole show. I drive and she tells me where.

Thats why I enjoy being the navigator so much....I get to tell her where to go and get away with it! :lol:

2. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

Somehow this issue went from what I thought might be a mislabeling of status to dumping and dishwashing issues. Now that’s really stretching the issue of pilot/co-pilot.

Here is what I have gathered from the responses:

· Most of the ladies don’t like driving and the men do. I guess we are the cavemen type. ARGGGGG!!
    · The women don’t dump because it’s too “smelly.” Albeit, I would bet that they’ve changed a bunch of diapers in their time.
    · One or two have to do “everything.” Which really would sucks unless you look at the silver lining. You get to do it your way.... without advise.
    · The right seater is not necessarily the co-pilot, but could be called the navigator, passenger, computer jockey, or helper. I accept that, but you guys might want to refer to my wife as a pilot if you are interested in every reproducing again.

Everyone seems comfortable with his or her position on the team. That’s a real positive.

And finally, DXSMac> Thank you for the gender compliment, but don’t pat me on the back too much. I still think my wife is looking a gift horse in the mouth when she complains about the messes I make when I cook. :)

3. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

So RLM...does your pilot/wife have a handle on this site? ;)

4. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

pilot/copilot is an aviation term. who is in the left seat. the aircraft commander, pilot. it has nothing what so ever with gender, as there are female aircraft commanders. the co-pilot is simple there to assist the pilot.
    there was a movie years ago, god is my co-pilot. glad he didn't get mad about the term. as it turned out he was the best asset.
    i like my best asset sitting next to me when i'm the commander, as i'm sure she feels the same way when she is the commander.

5. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

dog bone> I have 13000 hours logged in both helicopters and airplanes as a military pilot. So I ask this question- if there were two equally qualified aircraft commanders on board, then the one in the right seat would have to relegate him/herself to "assisting" and be called the co-pilot?

I respectfully suggest that no professional pilot would ever use the co-pilot term regardless of who is in the right seat.

fosterImposters> She doesn't much care for computers. Thank you God .. is My Co-Pilot!!! :D

I give up and am cashing in my chips on this one. I don't regret bringing up the topic, but it appears that it isn't a big deal with most folks. The prevelance of team runs thru out the thread. I suspect that is all that is important.

PS: Silvana> I really have to ask. What kind of "entertainment?"

6. Silvana

Silvana
    Expand Collapse

PS: Silvana> I really have to ask. What kind of "entertainment?"

7. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We were on a trip when this topic started so I have just now seen it. Even though it sort of ended a while back I still wanted to make a comment. "Co" is not gender specific. Webster defines it as "with, together, joint; partner in an activity; to the same extent or degree." Think of the terms co-chairman, co-worker, co-author. Co indicates these people are equal to each other; one does not rank higher than the other, and it makes no difference if they are male or female. Additionally "pilot" means the person who flies an aircraft. It does not necessarily mean this person is in charge although he/she may be. It is possible there is another person who makes the decisions and gives the orders. I have heard this person referred to as the commander, but there are probably other names. So to me when these terms are applied to RVing it means the pilot is the person driving the RV and the co-pilot is a second person on board capable of doing all the same duties as the pilot. Now deciding just who the commander is-- well that's another matter!