Compressor Iced Up

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by Cybercat7, Sep 3, 2023.

1. Cybercat7

Cybercat7
    Expand Collapse

Hey eveyone, we slept really well last night until we woke up to a non-working air conditioner. ( We are in Texas, so this is urgent!) We can see ice on the compressor and chunks of ice seem to be falling off. Can anyone tell me why it iced up to begin with and how to prevent it from happening again? It seems to be cooling down now.

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to the forum. It would help if you said what type RV and AC unit you are using. Is it a rooftop unit, a portable, or some other type? I'm sure you will receive a bunch of responses from those members who know a lot more about this problem you are having once they have a few added bits of info, etc. Hope your problem will be resolved shortly...........

Safe travels, BankShot....(aka Terry)

3. Cybercat7

Cybercat7
    Expand Collapse

rooftop on a travel trailer, Palomino Palomini

4. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

i could be wrong on this, but i think the unit needs plenty of airflow to help defrost the coils. check your filter to make sure its clean to allow air to flow.

5. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Yep, and if you have a fan speed selector switch, keep it set on high. Many, but not all, RV air conditioners have a temperature sensor inserted in the coils that shut off the compressor when icing conditions are sensed. Occasionally, the sensor vibrates out of place and no longer tells the compressor to shut down.

6. Cybercat7

Cybercat7
    Expand Collapse

the filter is clean.....it's a brand new rv.

7. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

Yep, when we had a travel trailer, if we didn't keep the fan on high it would ice up. Plus i removed the cover from inside the trailer, and used that aluminum tape to seal off the two air compartments inside that chamber. It was poorly made or at least poorly installed allowing warm air to mix with the cold air. There are a few You Tube videos showing what I did and it helped get us colder air when it was hot outside. Very easy to do.

8. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Hi Cybercat7, sorry for the late reply

If your seeing ice at the compressor you might be dealing with a low air flow issue, one way to confirm this would be to run A/C on fan only to melt ice, then switch back to A/C mode. Check temperature drop across supply and return air. 15 to 25 degrees is a good guildeline you should have. If your over that then that might indicate a low air flow issue. Some basic things to look for would be closed down supply vents that restrict air flow, fan motor/fan blade issue or as mentioned plugged air filter.

Also A/C units need an "off cycle" to de-ice, worse thing to do is to truck drive the t-stat to 55 degrees. Also as mentined having a defective or loose evaporator thermistor will increase your icing risk.

good luck
    Mike

#8 mdcamping, Sep 25, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2023