Do I Need To Add A Rec/lounge Room To My Park?

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by parkowner, Sep 17, 2009.

1. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

I am curious as to your revenue model for this addition. Do you intend to raise prices to cover the costs of the facility? I personally would not feel there is any added value to a park having a rec room, so it would not persuade me to pay more. Is your revenue model based on having rallies and groups use the park? If so, are you in an area where you could easily recruit such groups? Is your park big enough and empty enough to accomodate such groups? On the surface, it doesn't sound to me like this investment would pay off. You only have 54 sites to begin with. Then some of those sites are taken with your monthlies. Then you have your normal traffic. That can't leave very many unfilled sites. Rallies and groups (especially family reunions, wedding parties etc) mostly need such facilities on the weekends. Does your park have vacancies on those type dates. Don't forget your operating costs will rise. You probably would have to heat and/or air condition the facility to get maximum usage. Utility costs will rise. Unless your park is really top notch, the money would probably be better spent on items that will appeal to the majority of RVers. Things like more landscaping, patios, paved sites, recreation items if you market to families, paved roads and keeping the restrooms, laundry etc up to date. Also, more advertising would probably put more rigs in the park faster and cheaper than a rec room.

2. RockHound

RockHound
    Expand Collapse

If you are in an area where there isn't much to do, then a rec./lounge room MIGHT be a good idea. My family and I have used such a room in this case. If you have area beaches, theaters, amusement parks, etc., this room probably won't get much use. The reason I said MIGHT be a good idea earlier is wear and tear. Like someone said earlier, you almost never see these rooms in good shape. There will be pool tables with missing pool balls, and bent cue sticks. Ping pong tables with flat balls, cracked table, one paddle and no net. Torn up and stained carpet. Chairs with ripped and stained fabric. Remote-less TV and so on. You would have to spend a lot of money to keep this from happening to yours. Most people would probably rather have lower prices and no rec. room, than to have to foot the bill for something they might not even use. If you had this room as part of the office or had an employee in there, the wear and tear would be lessened. As far as a kitchen goes, I don't think I would let just any customer use it. It would be good if you offered a Saturday breakfast or Sunday brunch that you prepared, or if a group wanted to rent and use it and be responsible for its upkeep.

3. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

A lot has been said here and I guess my question is where are you located? Do you get a lot of seasonal guests. Those spending the summer or the winter. If so a rec room is a nescessity as they will be older retired folks, like me, and they need a place to get together and play cards, hold pot lucks and so on. If not then whats the point unless you are going to cater to large groups that need a meeting room.

4. nicki

nicki
    Expand Collapse

We have personally never used the rec rooms/lounges in CG's/RV parks, although we have peeked in on lots in an effort to know what our options were if it happens to rain. Every single one we have peeked in on was dark, gloomy, outdated, and not very fun or comfortable looking, and we have never gone in. I would say make it attractive in decor, keep it nicely lit, have free coffee brewing, and maybe a flat-screen TV. If possible, have it adjacent to the laundry room on one side and the campground store on another. (For guests' convenience and also so you can maybe make some of your investment back.) Maybe make it the home base for movie showings, or crafts, or card games, suited to the crowd you are trying to attract. This is my two cents, but even then I wonder how much use it would get.

5. rgatijnet

rgatijnet
    Expand Collapse

Personally I don't think it would take too much effort to ask your question(survey) to your overnight and long term guests if they feel that a rec room is worth paying a little extra for, or is needed. Maybe six months worth of replies would be sufficient to get a good idea of what YOUR customers would like.
    Personally to me a rec center/lounge is not something that I have ever used. I do have a big dog and the whole rule about "unattended" pets comes into play also. If we are at the rec hall/lounge, can we bring our dog, or do we leave the dog unattended? I know a lot of people travel with their pets and this will have to be addressed in your rules IF you expect people to use any rec hall.

6. RVRVRV

RVRVRV
    Expand Collapse

Park owner,
    We too own a small park. It is an older one but kept clean and quite. My wife and I like to meet our guests so this is a good fit for us. We have 47 sites and I can tell you that we cater to mostly retires that return each year to spend the summer as well as some retired RVers that stay on a long term basis. Our park would not exist if it did not have the small rec room we have it seats about 35 for potlucks with overflow to 2 picnic tables. It has a stove and refrigerator and a few pieces of exercise equipment. Many of our summer guests also use it for crafts, sewing and quilting as well. We also have a small coffee room with complimentary coffee and often times fresh muffins. We can have as many as 15 in the mornings in the summer and as few as 5 in the winter that come in . It also has a computer hooked to our WiFi, books, movies and a paperback exchange. I can tell you that our guests really enjoy both of these rooms. There are people that do not use them as well some do not even come out of their rigs. But the ones that do love the common areas. They are also used for ice cream socials and if 3or more rigs come in we offer the rooms for dinner or cards.

7. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

pogoil's response is good. You think you need some sort of rec room at a campground. The key is figuring out what kind. My first thought is to not have a "public" kitchen... I just don't see how you could keep that clean and safe to use.

We stayed at Nelson's campground this year in Connecticut, and their "rec" room is a huge barn-like building that can be used for a variety of things, includes the camp store, and they have a small diner-kitchen where you can buy breakfast and sometimes other meals depending on the schedule.

At Odetah (CT), they have a game room with video machines, and also a "reading room" off the camp store that is very nicely decorated with comfy chairs and a lending library. They also have a "rec hall", that is very large, half of it is enclosed and half is covered by roof only, with chairs and tables that can be moved around as needed.

I would highly suggest at least some sort of a pavilion, even if it is just a roof (certainly need a paved or concrete floor). Have picnic tables available. You may want to have a protected "kitchen area" off to the side, where people could bring their own grills / camp stoves if they want.

Many times I see partially enclosed pavilions being used by groups.

Good luck!

8. parkowner

parkowner
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(kcmoedoe @ Sep 20 2009, 10:59 PM) [snapback]19086[/snapback]

I am curious as to your revenue model for this addition. Do you intend to raise prices to cover the costs of the facility? I personally would not feel there is any added value to a park having a rec room, so it would not persuade me to pay more. Is your revenue model based on having rallies and groups use the park? If so, are you in an area where you could easily recruit such groups? Is your park big enough and empty enough to accomodate such groups? On the surface, it doesn't sound to me like this investment would pay off. You only have 54 sites to begin with. Then some of those sites are taken with your monthlies. Then you have your normal traffic. That can't leave very many unfilled sites. Rallies and groups (especially family reunions, wedding parties etc) mostly need such facilities on the weekends. Does your park have vacancies on those type dates. Don't forget your operating costs will rise. You probably would have to heat and/or air condition the facility to get maximum usage. Utility costs will rise. Unless your park is really top notch, the money would probably be better spent on items that will appeal to the majority of RVers. Things like more landscaping, patios, paved sites, recreation items if you market to families, paved roads and keeping the restrooms, laundry etc up to date. Also, more advertising would probably put more rigs in the park faster and cheaper than a rec room.

Thank you for your time and comments.

QUOTE(nedmtnman @ Sep 21 2009, 11:09 AM) [snapback]19091[/snapback]

A lot has been said here and I guess my question is where are you located? Do you get a lot of seasonal guests. Those spending the summer or the winter. If so a rec room is a nescessity as they will be older retired folks, like me, and they need a place to get together and play cards, hold pot lucks and so on. If not then whats the point unless you are going to cater to large groups that need a meeting room.

Thank you for your comment.

QUOTE(nicki @ Sep 21 2009, 12:23 PM) [snapback]19095[/snapback]

We have personally never used the rec rooms/lounges in CG's/RV parks, although we have peeked in on lots in an effort to know what our options were if it happens to rain. Every single one we have peeked in on was dark, gloomy, outdated, and not very fun or comfortable looking, and we have never gone in. I would say make it attractive in decor, keep it nicely lit, have free coffee brewing, and maybe a flat-screen TV. If possible, have it adjacent to the laundry room on one side and the campground store on another. (For guests' convenience and also so you can maybe make some of your investment back.) Maybe make it the home base for movie showings, or crafts, or card games, suited to the crowd you are trying to attract. This is my two cents, but even then I wonder how much use it would get.

Thank your for your comments.

QUOTE(pogoil @ Sep 25 2009, 06:47 PM) [snapback]19226[/snapback]

Park owner,
    We too own a small park. It is an older one but kept clean and quite. My wife and I like to meet our guests so this is a good fit for us. We have 47 sites and I can tell you that we cater to mostly retires that return each year to spend the summer as well as some retired RVers that stay on a long term basis. Our park would not exist if it did not have the small rec room we have it seats about 35 for potlucks with overflow to 2 picnic tables. It has a stove and refrigerator and a few pieces of exercise equipment. Many of our summer guests also use it for crafts, sewing and quilting as well. We also have a small coffee room with complimentary coffee and often times fresh muffins. We can have as many as 15 in the mornings in the summer and as few as 5 in the winter that come in . It also has a computer hooked to our WiFi, books, movies and a paperback exchange. I can tell you that our guests really enjoy both of these rooms. There are people that do not use them as well some do not even come out of their rigs. But the ones that do love the common areas. They are also used for ice cream socials and if 3or more rigs come in we offer the rooms for dinner or cards.

Thank you for commenting. Your information is very helpful. The way you are using your rec room is what i'm considering on how to use ours if we add it to our park.

QUOTE(Tom @ Sep 28 2009, 09:19 AM) [snapback]19287[/snapback]

pogoil's response is good. You think you need some sort of rec room at a campground. The key is figuring out what kind. My first thought is to not have a "public" kitchen... I just don't see how you could keep that clean and safe to use.

We stayed at Nelson's campground this year in Connecticut, and their "rec" room is a huge barn-like building that can be used for a variety of things, includes the camp store, and they have a small diner-kitchen where you can buy breakfast and sometimes other meals depending on the schedule.

At Odetah (CT), they have a game room with video machines, and also a "reading room" off the camp store that is very nicely decorated with comfy chairs and a lending library. They also have a "rec hall", that is very large, half of it is enclosed and half is covered by roof only, with chairs and tables that can be moved around as needed.

I would highly suggest at least some sort of a pavilion, even if it is just a roof (certainly need a paved or concrete floor). Have picnic tables available. You may want to have a protected "kitchen area" off to the side, where people could bring their own grills / camp stoves if they want.

Many times I see partially enclosed pavilions being used by groups.

Good luck!

Thank you for your comment. Its great to get hands on information from ones that use a rec room and those that don't.

9. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

10. parkowner

parkowner
    Expand Collapse

Galli,
    Thanks for your comments.Very helpful. I couldn't reply to your comments at the usual place so i sent a new reply.

11. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

As a business proposition to gather groups, rallies, snowbird groups, etc, it’s a good idea. As a place to serve a week-end breakfast for your customers, it is perhaps an amenity that most would take advantage of. I think many would much rather pay a few bucks for someone else’s breakfast than cook and clean.

As an individual, I like most, do not take advantage of rec rooms. A full kitchen is nice, but then I’d have to take my food to it. I would just as soon cook in the RV. I have occasionally used such an area to do wi-fi when the better half sews or is watching the tube.

I recently stayed at a park that had a nice outdoor picnic pavilion with gas BBQ grills. I used it several times. Carrying my food stuffs to it was a bit of a pain, but overcome by not having to drag out and repack my own BBQ equipment.

My wife doesn’t like leaving the laundry unattended in the machines. She would appreciate a rec area with comfortable furniture next to the laundry where she could read a book or watch TV and keep an eye on them.

So I guess I’m saying that, for most individuals, maybe a rec room would be based more on convenience than necessity and you'd have to figure out which one applied to your park.

12. parkowner

parkowner
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(RLM @ Oct 6 2009, 11:45 AM) [snapback]19416[/snapback]

As a business proposition to gather groups, rallies, snowbird groups, etc, it’s a good idea. As a place to serve a week-end breakfast for your customers, it is perhaps an amenity that most would take advantage of. I think many would much rather pay a few bucks for someone else’s breakfast than cook and clean.

As an individual, I like most, do not take advantage of rec rooms. A full kitchen is nice, but then I’d have to take my food to it. I would just as soon cook in the RV. I have occasionally used such an area to do wi-fi when the better half sews or is watching the tube.

I recently stayed at a park that had a nice outdoor picnic pavilion with gas BBQ grills. I used it several times. Carrying my food stuffs to it was a bit of a pain, but overcome by not having to drag out and repack my own BBQ equipment.

My wife doesn’t like leaving the laundry unattended in the machines. She would appreciate a rec area with comfortable furniture next to the laundry where she could read a book or watch TV and keep an eye on them.

So I guess I’m saying that, for most individuals, maybe a rec room would be based more on convenience than necessity and you'd have to figure out which one applied to your park.

Thank you for your comments.Very helpful.The different way's you mentioned how it could be used is what i was thinking about how it.Thank you again.

13. Park Manager

Park Manager
    Expand Collapse

I recently managed a larger RV & Mobile Home Park in Oregon that had an older but large Club House with full kitchen facilities, pool table, tv (WITH remote), stereo, banquet tables, round tables, chairs and bathroom. During my time there I got an organ donated and set up a computer with wifi access. Caravan groups require this type of facility, long term stays appreciate the use for larger family gatherings, and the park is able to host special events or parties. This building was a larger double wide converted, with the office at one end. The park also offered tent sites and it was this group that REALLY appreciated the facility. They could make a real meal in the kitchen (we supplied dishes, etc.), catch up on their email, watch a show, play a game of pool - all without being in the rain and cold! By the way, I never had to clean up anyone's dishes - everyone was very respectful of the facility. Since I was in sight of this bldg I left it unlocked 24/7. One rule I enforced, no one under 16 without adult supervisioin.

14. ellynmae

ellynmae
    Expand Collapse

I agree that it's the over-55's that would mostly have the time and inclination to use a rec room and my ideas to encourage its use are:
    1) Let arriving campers know there is coffee and newspapers in it each morning.
    2) Make sure it is a clean and pleasant space in which to spend time.
    3) Put photos of local attractions or local historic photos or local maps on the walls. Label the photos!
    4) Be present - owners and/or work-campers should hang out in the rec room. Depending on what type of RV park, that could be at breakfast, the afternoon, or the evening.
    5) Plan a weekly (at least) event in the room at various times during the day. Game night or afternoon, pancake breakfast (charge a dollar or two), pot-lucks.

If you want to try out an inexpensive rec room, the campground we just left put up a mid-sized tent as one for this winter. It has just enough room for two rectangle tables & chairs as well as the vented wood stove.

QUOTE(parkowner @ Sep 19 2009, 05:39 PM) [snapback]19029[/snapback]

Thanks for the comment.Is there any reason why you don't us a rec/lounge room? I'm not saying their is something wrong if you don't use it,but if everything was in place and it was comfortable to use would you use it?

15. parkowner

parkowner
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Park Manager @ Oct 20 2009, 12:48 PM) [snapback]19618[/snapback]

I recently managed a larger RV & Mobile Home Park in Oregon that had an older but large Club House with full kitchen facilities, pool table, tv (WITH remote), stereo, banquet tables, round tables, chairs and bathroom. During my time there I got an organ donated and set up a computer with wifi access. Caravan groups require this type of facility, long term stays appreciate the use for larger family gatherings, and the park is able to host special events or parties. This building was a larger double wide converted, with the office at one end. The park also offered tent sites and it was this group that REALLY appreciated the facility. They could make a real meal in the kitchen (we supplied dishes, etc.), catch up on their email, watch a show, play a game of pool - all without being in the rain and cold! By the way, I never had to clean up anyone's dishes - everyone was very respectful of the facility. Since I was in sight of this bldg I left it unlocked 24/7. One rule I enforced, no one under 16 without adult supervisioin.

Thank you for your comments.Very useful information.

QUOTE(maedreams @ Oct 20 2009, 02:17 PM) [snapback]19619[/snapback]

I agree that it's the over-55's that would mostly have the time and inclination to use a rec room and my ideas to encourage its use are:
    1) Let arriving campers know there is coffee and newspapers in it each morning.
    2) Make sure it is a clean and pleasant space in which to spend time.
    3) Put photos of local attractions or local historic photos or local maps on the walls. Label the photos!
    4) Be present - owners and/or work-campers should hang out in the rec room. Depending on what type of RV park, that could be at breakfast, the afternoon, or the evening.
    5) Plan a weekly (at least) event in the room at various times during the day. Game night or afternoon, pancake breakfast (charge a dollar or two), pot-lucks.

If you want to try out an inexpensive rec room, the campground we just left put up a mid-sized tent as one for this winter. It has just enough room for two rectangle tables & chairs as well as the vented wood stove.

Thank you for your comments. Good information.

16. olivercamper

olivercamper
    Expand Collapse

This is a hard question to answer. As a campground owner we have entertained the thought and dismissed it. I guess it depends on what clientele you are looking to attract . As a family campground on a lake we have found we can not even offer "activies'" ( other than holidays!)
    as no one wants to participate...they would rather be out in the boat or in the pool!

If you cater to the mature camper or camping rallies, perhaps your idea would enhance your campground. Tough decision!

17. parkowner

parkowner
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(olivercamper @ Oct 30 2009, 02:23 PM) [snapback]19825[/snapback]

This is a hard question to answer. As a campground owner we have entertained the thought and dismissed it. I guess it depends on what clientele you are looking to attract . As a family campground on a lake we have found we can not even offer "activies'" ( other than holidays!)
    as no one wants to participate...they would rather be out in the boat or in the pool!

If you cater to the mature camper or camping rallies, perhaps your idea would enhance your campground. Tough decision!

Thank you for the comments.

18. keoweerv

keoweerv
    Expand Collapse

I don't think I'd put one in if it's 54 sites. Because it's gotta be someone on site to monitor it - and vandalism could be a problem. That's a small amount of sites for that kind of amenity. That's a big investment for that size campground in my opinion.

-Ronnie Hughey

19. KristinB

KristinB
    Expand Collapse

We don't subscribe to a satelite TV service, so a TV room is handy to watch football games, etc. I also really like the paperback book exchanges that a lot of parks have in their rec rooms. Other than that, we don't use them much.