Dometic Recall Notice

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by COWolfPack, Mar 13, 2007.

1. COWolfPack

COWolfPack
    Expand Collapse

Looking on the internet tonight I came across the following recall notice.

Report Date : March 14, 2007 at 02:27 AM
    NHTSA Campaign ID number : 06E076000

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
    DOMETIC / NDR1062 9999

DOMETIC / RM2652 9999

DOMETIC / RM2662 9999

DOMETIC / RM2663 9999

DOMETIC / RM2852 9999

DOMETIC / RM2862 9999

DOMETIC / RM3662 9999

DOMETIC / RM3663 9999

DOMETIC / RM3862 9999

DOMETIC / RM3863 9999

Manufacturer : DOMETIC CORPORATION

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 06E076000 Mfg's Report Date : AUG 28, 2006
    Component: EQUIPMENT:RECREATIONAL VEHICLE
    Potential Number Of Units Affected : 926877
    Summary:
    CERTAIN DOMETIC TWO-DOOR REFRIGERATORS MANUFACTURED BETWEEN APRIL 1997 AND MAY 2003: SERIAL NOS. 713XXXXX THROUGH 752XXXXX; 801XXXXX THROUGH 852XXXXX; 901XXXXX THROUGH 952XXXXX; 001XXXXX THROUGH 052XXXXX; 101XXXXX THROUGH 152XXXXX; 201XXXXX THROUGH 252XXXXX; 301XXXXX THROUGH 319XXXXX, INSTALLED IN CERTAIN RECREATIONAL VEHICLES AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT AND SOLD AS AFTERMARKET EQUIPMENT. A FATIGUE CRACK MAY DEVELOP IN THE BOILER TUBE WHICH MAY RELEASE A SUFFICIENT AMOUNT OF PRESSURIZED COOLANT SOLUTION INTO AN AREA WHERE AN IGNITION SOURCE (GAS FLAME) IS PRESENT.
    Consequence:
    THE RELEASE OF COOLANT UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS COULD IGNITE AND RESULT IN A FIRE.
    Remedy:
    THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF RECREATIONAL VEHICLES THAT HAD THE REFRIGERATORS INSTALLED AS ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT AND DOMETIC WILL NOTIFY OWNERS OF THE AFTERMARKET REFRIGERATORS. DOMETIC WILL INSTALL A SECONDARY BURNER HOUSING FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN BETWEEN APRIL AND JUNE 2007. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DOMETIC AT 888-446-5157.
    Notes:
    CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

This report can be viewed at:
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov
    Need to do a search using the campaign # listed above.

You can also checked to see if your refrigerator is an affected model at:
    http://www.dometicusa.com/recall.php
    Need model and serial number.

It seems they have been looking at this problem for a few months but this is the first I have heard of it. Thought it would be worth posting though. Better safe than sorry. Definitely going to check my trailer as I just recently bought it and it came with a Dometic fridge.

2. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the recall info, just this very morning, (03-14-07), We rec'd an e-mail that may or may not be related to this recall, as at this point We do not know all the particulars. On Monday the 12th, a couple from our camping group, lost their 2002 Holiday Rambler motor home to a fire. The motor home was stocked, loaded and ready for their annual trip to Florida. They were to leave early the next morning. They were not home at the time, but was in fact traveling to funeral wake, when they rec'd a cell phone call that their home was on fire. They returned home to find their motor home, in the driveway next to their home, a total loss. As the e-mail stated nothing about damage to the home, can only assume, it is okay. The fire was pinpointed to have started behind the refrigerator. Sure gives the impression and looks as if this recall may provide the answer to this fire. Please be diligent and informed to these recalls as they may not only save your property from damage, but may save you and or your loved ones their lives. Again let me state that at this point, I personally do not know if the refrigerator was a " Dometic ", and that this recall applies. Will update, when more info is known.

3. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

COWolfPack,
    Thank you very much for this important info. I checked immediately, and my fridge is affected by the recall. The repair kit is supposed to be available in early April, we want to go on a 3 week trip starting in the second half of April, hope everything will be fixed by then.

4. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

COWolfPack, thanks for the info. I am forwarding it on to hubby so he can check to see if we are affected.

5. Meterman46

Meterman46
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the info I'm going out to check mine as soon as I can after the T storms move onward to the east. I think mine is one of the affected.

We'll be seeing ya down the Road....... :D

6. Meterman46

Meterman46
    Expand Collapse

I truely think everyone should check on this recall as I did & I found out mine has been recalled!!! You have to call a 888 # to find a service center and this starts in April 07. Thabks once again COwolfPack. I'm taking mine asap.Brian

7. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

I've had several RV technicians tell me that, if you smell ammonia, your regrigerator has sprung a leak and you may as well buy a new one because it would probably be less expensive than trying to repair it. I can't help but wonder how many Dometics have failed because of this manufacturing defect and how many people had to buy new refrigerators as a result of this. Of course, we all know that Dometic will contact each and every one of these poor souls and refund their money.

8. Meterman46

Meterman46
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Beastdriver @ Mar 17 2007, 04:47 PM) [snapback]6544[/snapback]
    I've had several RV technicians tell me that, if you smell ammonia, your regrigerator has sprung a leak and you may as well buy a new one because it would probably be less expensive than trying to repair it. I can't help but wonder how many Dometics have failed because of this manufacturing defect and how many people had to buy new refrigerators as a result of this. Of course, we all know that Dometic will contact each and every one of these poor souls and refund their money.

Hey Beastdriver what's a regrigerator??? :blink: LOL I know what it is but just had to ask :D

It does make you wonder how Dometic will contact all of the used buyers...like myself if it hadn't been for this site and another forum I'd probually never had known about the recall.

9. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

[/quote] It does make you wonder how Dometic will contact all of the used buyers...like myself if it hadn't been for this site and another forum I'd probually never had known about the recall.

10. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

i read this topic in the open roads forum awhile back. it was stated that the reffer may start on fire when using gas. not on electric. to be safe junk it if your numbers match.

i would not wait for them to call you. i would think that any dealer, not just the ones that sell your trailer would, change it out. it is a recall and dometic is paying for it. plus i feel it would the right thing to do.

11. COWolfPack

COWolfPack
    Expand Collapse

Glad I could help by posting this. Even though I have a newer trailer I still checked out my refrigerator just to be on the safe side. Looks like I have a newer refrigerator and it is not affected by the recall.

Butch,
    Make sure your friends keep good records of the fire, including fire reports stating where the fire originated. They will also need the make, model, and serial number of their refrigerator. If they do not have this info written down anywhere and cannot get it off of the refrigerator any more (for obvious reasons) they should be able to get it from the manufacturer. If it does turn out to be one of the recalled refrigerators that caused the fire they may be able to recover their losses from Dometic.

12. Meterman46

Meterman46
    Expand Collapse

Hi to all

Here's some updated info on the recall for Dometic

You have to call 1-888-446-5157 And follow the prompts. You can only call from 8am-5pm eastern time. You will need your model # and Serial # They can be found on the inside door of the refrigerator. The prompt asked to have your VIN # ready when you talk with a custmer Service Rep. But they never asked me for mine just your name, address. They will find you the nearest dealer authorized to repair the recall. I spent 30 minutes on hold waiting to speak with a real person. But I highly reccomend that if you get thru to wait as it took me a couple of hours to get thru... but I expected it with almost a million units affected with the recall. This covers 1997 thru 2003 units. Good luck to those who are affected. And then we have to wait to get a appointment with the dealer to install and they won't have parts available until mid april :(

I'm hoping I can get in for service asap. because this ones going to take awhile to fix them all. It involves a possible stress fracture in the boiler tube.....and it could cause a fire.

13. COWolfPack

COWolfPack
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Cheryl Fuller @ Mar 14 2007, 12:07 PM) [snapback]6513[/snapback]

COWolfPack, thanks for the info. I am forwarding it on to hubby so he can check to see if we are affected.

Cheryl,

Have you found out if your unit is part of the recall yet? Just curious.

14. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Have an update on friends motor home fire. The fire was first said to have started in the rear of the refrigerator area, and might have been related to the Dometic recall. As more and more theories of the cause surfaced, the fire inspector, and the insurance representatives have pinpointed that the fire did start in the rear area of the refrigerator, but at an electrical outlet located in the refrigerator cabinet. With circuit breakers, GFIs, etc, etc, a question as to how & why, as these components are suppose to protect the electric appliances and their circuitry. One point is that the fire was not the result of the refrigerator; and more important, the refrigerator WAS NOT A DOMETIC. So there goes another theory---mine.

15. midgarvservice

midgarvservice
    Expand Collapse

Several magazines related to the RV Industry have printed articles as well as full page adds telling everyone about the recall. I have had customers that bought used contact Dometic and they are now in line to get the necessary kit installed. There are over 900,000 Ref's involved. I have had a customer file the necessary paperwork to get reimbursed for having to purchase a new ref in December before the recall went into effect. Norcold experienced the same type of problem a while back http://www.norcold.com/recalls.cfm . I feel that Dometic is handling the recall very well. They want to insure that everyone is taken care of in a timely manner. Be sure to check your unit at the following web site - http://www.dometicusa.com/recall.php

Schedule your appointment with your dealer or service center as soon as possible to have this taken care of.

Pete - Mid GA RV Service
    www.midgarvservice.com

16. wpr

wpr
    Expand Collapse

Well, I brought the trailer in today at 13:00 hrs to have the work done. It is the first unit they do at this rather large dealer. (So big they have always at least 50 class A in stock) They fix it this afternoon and test it for cooling and a pressure test for the coolant. I am supposed to get it back tomorrow morning. I add a picture of the back of the fridge.

Attached Files:

17. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

CoWolfpack - sorry, I just saw your post - don't know where my head has been. Anyway, we actually just made it out to the motorhome yesterday to check on that. I wrote down the model number on the fridge and then looked it up when we got home. I discovered that ours is not on the recall, which I am really grateful for. Was anyone other than wprigge effected by it and if so, has the problem been resolved? Butch, another poster said that Norcold had the same problem - was you friend's a Norcold, by chance?

18. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Hi Cheryl,

Yes their Rv did have a Norcold, but was not on the re-call list. The fire was found to have started with the wiring at an outlet in the refrigerator compartment. All is well now, as they have purchased another unit. Thanks for asking.

19. Meterman46

Meterman46
    Expand Collapse

Hey just thought I'd let you know that my TT is going to the dealer monday May 7th!!! I called the 1st part of April and was put on a waiting list and was told they would call as they got the kits in. It happened pretty quick regarding the call by the dealer. I thought it might take awhile and cut into camping but now I'm set to Go camping shortly afterwards.....yeah!!! :) Happy trails.

20. bigfootford1

bigfootford1
    Expand Collapse

Hi all, I'm new to your forum....I am a member of another forum and have been investigating a problem regarding dometic and norcold power cords melting and or causing a fire. It would appear that Butch has confirmed that 2 norcolds have failed. I have contacted Butch (PM) to see if I can obtain information regarding this problem......

It would appear that there is a design flaw in the grounding of Norcold and Dometic fridges both old and new. Under certain conditions the power cord can fail....

If you would like to read about my investigation here is a link to my posts......

Power cord failure