Empty Campground, But Everyone Crowded Together

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by happyscampers, Oct 4, 2010.

1. happyscampers

happyscampers
    Expand Collapse

Am I the only one this bothers? End of the season, few other campers, but the owners of the park assign the next camper in right next to us, so that instead of a view from the window of our little 22 ft trailer, we're looking onto the wall of a 40-ft motorhome.. This just happened at Quebec KOA and park was maybe at 1/10th capacity. Yes we could have unhooked everything and moved, but... I complained to front desk, where the woman just shrugged in response. Sometimes it's the campers themselves who seem to want to cozy up. This seems to happen fairly often, and it's not because part of the park was closed either. We're not unfriendly, just like our space -- that's why we travel when we do.

2. rgatijnet

rgatijnet
    Expand Collapse

Tell the desk when you check in that you would like a little privacy. That is what we do. To assume that the front desk knows that you like privacy is a bit of a stretch.

3. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

Agreed - tell them ahead of time. They're trying to keep down expenses - if everybody is spread out that's more maintenance they have to do (trash collection, etc.).

4. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

Yes. This drives us crazy. We were in a KOA in central VA several years ago where 3/4 of the park was empty, but those of us there were all crammed together in one, very close, side-by-side row. When we asked for an alternate space, we were refused. This happened again crossing Nevada last year. Why can't park staff just alternate assigned spaces to spread people out a little more? We couldn't even put out an awning at that place in Nevada. And we generate just as much trash when crammed together as when spread apart a little.

5. happyscampers

happyscampers
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(MaineDon @ Oct 5 2010, 11:47 AM) [snapback]24462[/snapback]

Yes. This drives us crazy. We were in a KOA in central VA several years ago where 3/4 of the park was empty, but those of us there were all crammed together in one, very close, side-by-side row. When we asked for an alternate space, we were refused. This happened again crossing Nevada last year. Why can't park staff just alternate assigned spaces to spread people out a little more? We couldn't even put out an awning at that place in Nevada. And we generate just as much trash when crammed together as when spread apart a little.

Glad to hear someone agrees, Don. Here we sit tonight in the Cape Breton, Nova Scotia campground, after telling the hosts we wanted some space, and we had the whole row to ourselves, having opted for the longest walk to the showers, etc. just to be alone under a couple trees. The hosts even suggested this spot. Just now, at 10:30 p.m. with the office closed, someone pulls in RIGHT NEXT TO US. Not two spaces away, mind you, but within spitting distance. Happily, we're leaving tomorrow for Maine. But I just don't get it.

6. kcmoedoe

kcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(happyscampers @ Oct 9 2010, 08:53 PM) [snapback]24551[/snapback]

Glad to hear someone agrees, Don. Here we sit tonight in the Cape Breton, Nova Scotia campground, after telling the hosts we wanted some space, and we had the whole row to ourselves, having opted for the longest walk to the showers, etc. just to be alone under a couple trees. The hosts even suggested this spot. Just now, at 10:30 p.m. with the office closed, someone pulls in RIGHT NEXT TO US. Not two spaces away, mind you, but within spitting distance. Happily, we're leaving tomorrow for Maine. But I just don't get it.

Nobody to blame but the other camper. They apparently chose that site for whatever reason. Since the office was closed they probably were not assigned to it. They may have assumed that some of the other sections were shut down, or maybe that area just had what they were looking for, either for the next day or open skyline for satellite, or they were the long pull thrus, or they just feel more comfortable next to another rig rather than sitting out all alone.

7. happyscampers

happyscampers
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(kcmoedoe @ Oct 9 2010, 11:16 PM) [snapback]24553[/snapback]

Nobody to blame but the other camper. They apparently chose that site for whatever reason. Since the office was closed they probably were not assigned to it. They may have assumed that some of the other sections were shut down, or maybe that area just had what they were looking for, either for the next day or open skyline for satellite, or they were the long pull thrus, or they just feel more comfortable next to another rig rather than sitting out all alone.

OK, I've come to the conclusion it's the old wagon train mentality of circling the wagons against an attack. It wasn't the skyline, wasn't a pull-through site, not any of those reasons cited. Some people just like to cozy up. But we're more nature types who only stay in KOAs, etc. when on the road and no state or national parks are available. We're up to about 35K miles of travel so far and counting.

8. Ohiojude

Ohiojude
    Expand Collapse

I just complained about this this weekend in Erie PA. Only a handful of campers and someone parked right next to us. Glad were were leaving in the morning. I will take the advice and mention we like our privacy next time.

Thank you for bringing this up, at least I don't feel I am alone.

happy camping...

9. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

We are in a park tonight in Carlisle, PA, that is about one-half full. We arrived early and have been watching assignments since we rolled in. New arrivals have been spread out, in every other, or even every third site. It's nice...no one is on top of one another! People are sitting outside, able to extend their awnings.......everyone has a little privacy, as well as the ability to socialize, if they choose. We'll stay here again, understanding that when the park is full, the ambiance may be very different. These people know how to run a park.

10. happyscampers

happyscampers
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(MaineDon @ Oct 18 2010, 09:01 PM) [snapback]24632[/snapback]

We are in a park tonight in Carlisle, PA, that is about one-half full. We arrived early and have been watching assignments since we rolled in. New arrivals have been spread out, in every other, or even every third site. It's nice...no one is on top of one another! People are sitting outside, able to extend their awnings.......everyone has a little privacy, as well as the ability to socialize, if they choose. We'll stay here again, understanding that when the park is full, the ambiance may be very different. These people know how to run a park.

Hi Maine Don: Feel like I'm getting to know you. We can't tear ourselves away from your home state, enjoying the gorgeous coastal scenery and stuffing ourselves with lobster. Right now we're in the Freeport KOA -- nice spot with great hot showers. They stay open until 11/1 to catch the snowbirds heading south. Where do you camp in Arizona? We'll be going through on our way home to CA. And where do you live in Maine?

11. Traveling man

Traveling man
    Expand Collapse

Thank you- that's one of my big issues too. Most of the parks I've been to let you choose however. If they do assign spots, I appreciate the hosts who will listen to your request for a bit of privacy, pull out a map, and suggest a spot or two.

I stayed at one park in the off season which assigned spaces in consecutive order, and wondered if it would do any good to suggest they could just as easily assign just the odd space numbers and start over on the even in the unlikely event that they reached 50% capacity. As I recall they had central dumpsters not individual trash cans, so not sure why they wanted to space people like sardines.

12. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Sometimes campgrounds will close off sections in the winter. I have run into this at some campgrounds in Washington State. One campground in Long Beach, WA has to close off one area until after "spring thaw," something to do with the ground being too soft, but it's ok in summer. Another one closed off a section to get the grass to regrow.

There could be many reasons a campground will close off a section.

JJ

13. PATHFINDER AND RAINBOW

PATHFINDER AND RAINBOW
    Expand Collapse

IT DOES MAKE SENSE TO MENTION YOU LIKE YOUR PRIVACY; HOWEVER, IT WOULD BE NICE IF COMMON SENSE ON THE BEHALF OF THE FRONT DESK WOULD PREVAIL. EVEN EVERY OTHER SITE IN A NOT-SO-BUSY PARK WOULD SATISFY MOST OF US. I FIND IT DOES VERY LITTLE GOOD TO MENTION ANY PREFERENCES IN MANY PARKS, BUT WE ALWAYS RETURN TO THE ONES WHO HAVE SOMEONE WHO LISTENS. :)