Ethanol In Gas, Is Good Or Bad For Your Motor ?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Galli, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(deanintemp @ Sep 17 2009, 06:55 PM) [snapback]19001[/snapback]

I am not familiar with and therefore would not want to comment on additives. Sorry, I think I have reached the end of my knowledge on this subject. I would contact a small engine service shop and get their opinion - good luck.

Thanks for your honesty
    Galli

2. rgatijnet

rgatijnet
    Expand Collapse

As mentioned, 10% ethanol works OK in engines DESIGNED for alcohol use. If you check you owners manual it will tell you what percentage of ethanol your engine will tolerate. It will also probably state that you should not use a METHANOL alcohol blend.
    Ethanol does not have the same BTU output as straight gasoline so therefore your engine MUST automatically adjust to increase the fuel fed into the cylinder or the engine will not run properly, or most efficiently. In an older engine, that does not have a computer system, the jets would have to be enlarged in the carburetor to compensate for the alcohol mix. The problem right now is that you need to read the pumps carefully to see what you MAY be getting out the nozzle. In Florida, by 2010, all stations must have 10% ethanol. Until then, you can get anywhere from 0% to 10%. On the pump it will say that this gasoline may contain up to 10% ethanol. Since you don't know exactly what you are getting, it is impossible to make a permanent change to your fuel system. Those with a modern electronically controlled fuel system will not have any problems. it is only the older vehicles that have to worry about the fuel mixture, and the damage done to any rubber parts or other fuel system components.
    The biggest problem is that ALL of today's fuel begins to degrade much quicker than the old fuels. This means that if you are going to let your coach set for any length of time over 30 days, you should use a fuel preservative. This goes for both gasoline and diesel fuel. Keep in mind that just using your coach every 30 days or so doesn't really matter, IF you do not add fresh fuel. Starting the engine every week will not prevent fuel breakdown. You must use and refresh your fuel regularly OR add a fuel preservative.
    The fuel has changed and most of the old practices no longer apply. Basically we will be paying more for an alcohol mix gasoline and we will be getting less fuel mileage. The more ethanol, the more I fuel mileage declines. E85 reduces your fuel mileage by 30%. Whether any of this is good for the environment has yet to be proven. Right now the corn farmers love it, especially with all of the government subsidy payments they receive.
    I could be more in favor of ethanol in our fuel if it were produced from algae, or some other non-food product, that did not use our valuable farm lands.

3. deanintemp

deanintemp
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(rgatijnet @ Sep 18 2009, 11:56 AM) [snapback]19007[/snapback]

As mentioned, 10% ethanol works OK in engines DESIGNED for alcohol use. If you check you owners manual it will tell you what percentage of ethanol your engine will tolerate. It will also probably state that you should not use a METHANOL alcohol blend.
    Ethanol does not have the same BTU output as straight gasoline so therefore your engine MUST automatically adjust to increase the fuel fed into the cylinder or the engine will not run properly, or most efficiently. In an older engine, that does not have a computer system, the jets would have to be enlarged in the carburetor to compensate for the alcohol mix. The problem right now is that you need to read the pumps carefully to see what you MAY be getting out the nozzle. In Florida, by 2010, all stations must have 10% ethanol. Until then, you can get anywhere from 0% to 10%. On the pump it will say that this gasoline may contain up to 10% ethanol. Since you don't know exactly what you are getting, it is impossible to make a permanent change to your fuel system. Those with a modern electronically controlled fuel system will not have any problems. it is only the older vehicles that have to worry about the fuel mixture, and the damage done to any rubber parts or other fuel system components.
    The biggest problem is that ALL of today's fuel begins to degrade much quicker than the old fuels. This means that if you are going to let your coach set for any length of time over 30 days, you should use a fuel preservative. This goes for both gasoline and diesel fuel. Keep in mind that just using your coach every 30 days or so doesn't really matter, IF you do not add fresh fuel. Starting the engine every week will not prevent fuel breakdown. You must use and refresh your fuel regularly OR add a fuel preservative.
    The fuel has changed and most of the old practices no longer apply. Basically we will be paying more for an alcohol mix gasoline and we will be getting less fuel mileage. The more ethanol, the more I fuel mileage declines. E85 reduces your fuel mileage by 30%. Whether any of this is good for the environment has yet to be proven. Right now the corn farmers love it, especially with all of the government subsidy payments they receive.
    I could be more in favor of ethanol in our fuel if it were produced from algae, or some other non-food product, that did not use our valuable farm lands.

Great point on the fuel mileage - I tried to make that point earlier as well - not as much energy in Ethanol, therefore you burn more gas. Currently, the only reason ethanol fuel is cheaper than regular gas is because you and I pay for it in our taxes through government subsidies. If we ever become dependent on ethanol, the subsidies will disappear and costs will go through the roof. If subsidies subside, food corn prices would also go through the roof! Sorry, but I learned long ago in engineering class that there is no such thing as a free lunch!

4. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Oh my. I hadn't considered that as I drove back from Kentucky. In Iowa and Nebraska, I encountered the 85% gas, and bought it because it was the cheapest!

JJ

5. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Sep 20 2009, 02:57 PM) [snapback]19063[/snapback]

Oh my. I hadn't considered that as I drove back from Kentucky. In Iowa and Nebraska, I encountered the 85% gas, and bought it because it was the cheapest!

JJ

Ha, ha, ha, all political skims and in the long run we are paying more for every thing else

6. rgatijnet

rgatijnet
    Expand Collapse

Prices updated as of 9/22/2009 2:58:46 AM
    National Unleaded Average

Regular, Mid, Premium, Diesel, E85, **E85 MPG/BTU adjusted price

Current Avg. $2.544 $2.702 $2.798 $2.656 $2.042 $2.688
    Yesterday Avg. $2.551 $2.710 $2.806 $2.658 $2.040 $2.685
    Week Ago Avg. $2.563 $2.721 $2.818 $2.664 $2.055 $2.704
    Month Ago Avg. $2.627 $2.789 $2.889 $2.690 $2.088 $2.748
    Year Ago Avg. $3.739 $3.900 $4.017 $4.108 $3.116 $4.101

Highest Recorded Average Price:
    Regular Unl. $4.114 7/17/2008
    DSL. $4.845 7/17/2008

Note that using the ADJUSTED price for E85 that even tho it is cheaper, the reduced mileage more than offsets it's cost and in reality, it costs more than regular gasoline. Sometimes what seems like a bargain is not.

7. deanintemp

deanintemp
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(rgatijnet @ Sep 22 2009, 09:13 AM) [snapback]19112[/snapback]

Prices updated as of 9/22/2009 2:58:46 AM
    National Unleaded Average

Regular, Mid, Premium, Diesel, E85, **E85 MPG/BTU adjusted price

Current Avg. $2.544 $2.702 $2.798 $2.656 $2.042 $2.688
    Yesterday Avg. $2.551 $2.710 $2.806 $2.658 $2.040 $2.685
    Week Ago Avg. $2.563 $2.721 $2.818 $2.664 $2.055 $2.704
    Month Ago Avg. $2.627 $2.789 $2.889 $2.690 $2.088 $2.748
    Year Ago Avg. $3.739 $3.900 $4.017 $4.108 $3.116 $4.101

Highest Recorded Average Price:
    Regular Unl. $4.114 7/17/2008
    DSL. $4.845 7/17/2008
    Note that using the ADJUSTED price for E85 that even tho it is cheaper, the reduced mileage more than offsets it's cost and in reality, it costs more than regular gasoline. Sometimes what seems like a bargain is not.

Great chart, thank you for the effort.

Keep in mind that as the "net" price of Ethanol approaches the price of regular gas it might be wise to opt for Ethanol as it burns much cleaner in the engine...much, much cleaner! Therefore, much less gunk and build up on the pistons and exhaust system.