Extreme Boondocking

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by DXSMac, Mar 20, 2008.

1. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi JJ,

I'm glad it worked out so well for you.

As to your little 300 watt unit. If it has a 12 volt "outlet" on it you may be able to plug it into your cabin battery and use that as a power source. The same thing may be true of the jumper cables--but that would probably mean leaving the unit outside. NOT recommended.

Look for a cigarette lighter to cigarette lighter "jumper cable" to use with your 300 watt inverter. I found one on ebay and just love using it to "warm" my starter batteries from my cabin batteries--which are in turn connected to my solar panels.

Have a look at item #140218550913 on ebay

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Mar 24 2008, 10:21 PM) [snapback]10887[/snapback]

Well, the place I was going to "boondock at 26 degrees for two nights" ended up giving me a plug in, after telling me I would be "dry camping." I do have a power station that I bought from Costco, it is kind of like an inverter. You can plug in appliances up to 300 watts, plus it has an air compressor and some jumper cables. I think electric blankets is too much for it. I may have to invest in an inverter.

Well, missed out on this opportunity. Hopefully another one will come by.

JJ

2. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi Wprigge,

I finally found the oil filled heater of my dreams (many thanks to you!). I'm over heatered now LOL! (two fan type, two ribbon type, one oil filled, one heat strip in the AC unit{not yet sure of wattage} and two electric hot plates! They range in wattage from a low of 320 to a high of 1440)

The oil filled is a perfect fit under a cabinet in my bedroom--space that is otherwise wasted. When I pull the curtain across it keeps the area

QUOTE(wprigge @ Mar 21 2008, 10:18 AM) [snapback]10837[/snapback]

Hi pianotuner,

You are right about space being at a premium, that's why we got two minis instead of one normal size. I find them easier to stow, and often we only need one. So here are the dimensions of our 500 watt heater. I suppose you are more familiar with inches

5" wide (mostly 4", except the feet at the rear)
    13" long
    15" high

I suspect the 700w heater has only two fins added and of course the corresponding quantity of oil and the bigger element. That would make it 16" long.

What we like about the principle of oil-filled heaters is their noiseless operation, except a little click when the thermostat cuts in or out, and the fact that it is impossible to burn yourself on them. Also, in some provincial parks you get only 15 amps, that means we can run our fridge, the hot water tank and the microwave plus one heater.

This will not bring the temperature up very quickly, but we use the propane heater for that purpose and the mini-heater to maintain the temperature while we sleep.

Hope this helps...