Floor vents in the rig

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by FosterImposters, Feb 18, 2016.

1. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Ok, stumped and know SOMEONE out there has passed this way before. Need advice. Looking for a method to clean those blasted floor vents. They are everywhere in our new 5'ver, did not have the issue in our previous rig. These have vent covers, held in place by a weird screw. I don't want to strip the thing, but none of my vacuum attachments can fit between those tiny slots. Sigh...

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Try taking the cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels and putting one end on the end of the vacuum hose (taping if necessary) and then squeezing the other end so that it is narrow enough to go between vent slots.

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

What is "weird" about the screws? Can you post a photo?

4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

A picture of that screw would help for sure. I've removed the vent covers in our coach a couple of times to vacuum out the accumulation of dust and grime that builds up inside over time and our covers have a simple Phillips head screw. Perhaps yours has one of those star type heads....?

BankShot

5. drfife

drfife
    Expand Collapse

Probably a square Robertson head screw. Common on RV's. Get a Robertson driver and remove the screws and vent covers.

FosterImposters likes this.
  6. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Might consider home depot, I bought one of those universal kits that has all the bits, the bits usually go on a 1/4'' driver. Kits comes in handy when a mfg throws out a odd star, square or torque screw.

another good way to clean vents is to just wash and dry them, even a car wash sprayer works good.

Mike

7. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Drfife has the best description. Square "ish" indentation in (I hope) screws.
    Lived with star heads in a variety of vehicles, for years. No dice.
    Robertson head, hmmm.
    Texasrvers, I actually tried fitting/taping one of those super straws (milkshake type) to the end of the vacuum crevice tool, with limited success.
    Thanks everyone! Home Depot run in my future.

drfife likes this.
  8. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Just tell the HD folks you need a #2 square drive screwdriver and you'll be all set. Those screws are used all over the place in RV's.

FosterImposters likes this.
  9. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

They do attract dirt. I fortunately have the correct connector in my tool kit - removed them, vacuumed out the dirt, then use plastic grocery bags to cover them under the vent - until I take a trip that will require the heater.

dog bone likes this.
  10. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Ooooh, I like the plastic grocery bag idea Happiest Camper!
    Am now the proud owner of yet another cool tool, and have added a new act to my repertoire of spring cleaning gyrations for an amused hubby. :p
    Note to self: make sure hubby is out and about, or cannot access his I-Pad for goofie pictures while spring cleaning in progress...

11. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I'm glad you got the problem solved!