Generator advice thread

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by Jackie4Hits, Sep 1, 2019.

  1. Jackie4Hits

    Jackie4Hits
    Expand Collapse
    Member

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2019
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm looking at buying a generator. 95% of what I need it for is charging house battery while dry camping. The other 5% is to run the microwave for hot pockets and pizza for the kids. I borrowed a 2000w champion that falls right on its face and dies when trying to run the microwave. My friends 2200w power(something) will run the microwave but its wound out doing it. I should have bought the 3200w firman from costco when it dropped to $469 with manufactures discount before Christmas. That generator went up in price to 639. Still a good deal but I'm trying to explore other options. My other thought was to buy two 2000w ipower generators. One fir charging or both when needing more power. Would I be better suited with a large generator or two smaller in parallel when needed? IMO a large generator to just charge up a 12v battery might be overkill and inefficient. And yes, I know Honda is the best, but for only being used s few times a year, spending that kind of money is a waste.
     
  2. mdcamping

    mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Member
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2007
    Messages:
    1,291
    Likes Received:
    818
    Do you ever plan to use A/C? I see your using a microwave. You will have more options if you buy a 3000+ Watt Inverter generator. When you get older camping in heat & humidity gets old real fast, just something to consider.

    Black Friday/Christmas is coming, there will probably be some deals out there. :cool:

    Welcome to the forum!

    Mike
     
    Paythebill likes this.
  3. Anniston

    Anniston
    Expand Collapse
    Member

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2019
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    In my experience, suggest you purchase quiet generator like Champion 4000-Watt RV Generator, Economy Mode in this generator are able to save the fuel and extends the life of engine. This generator has a starting watts of 4000 watts and a running watts of 3500 watts. The Champion 4000-Watt RV Generator is also parallel ready so you may increase your power output by connecting for up to two 2800-watt or higher inverter or a digital hybrid with the optional parallel kit which is included together with the generator.
    Now the price is less than $600 and Black Friday is coming.
     
  4. hammerlocke

    hammerlocke
    Expand Collapse
    Member

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2019
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    1
    Were you able to make a decision? What generator did you get?
     
  5. jfak7670

    jfak7670
    Expand Collapse
    Member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2019
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    2
    Westinghouse WH2200iXLT is the best generator for camping to me. It is easy to use, easy to carry about and pretty quiet (ideal to use at night). Moreover you can connect two generators to double the power and run-time. This feature makes it quite a flexible gen. It can power many devices simultaneously as well.
     

Share This Page