Good Sam???

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by J59T, May 23, 2005.

1. Lori Wright

Lori Wright
    Expand Collapse

We've had very good luck with GSERS. My husband and I bought our first RV last year and just to be on the safe side, we bought GSERS before picking it up. Forty-eight hours after we'd had it, my husband was trying to back it into the side yard up an incline (and over a small dip) and ended up grinding the skid plates into the asphalt of our road when the incline was a bit more sharp than he had expected.

Our new RV was stuck, half in the yard, half in the road. I called GSERS, talked to a nice guy who really felt bad for my husband (who was mightily embarrassed) and had a tow out there in 30 minutes to yank the RV out of its predicament.

The second time we've used it this year was when my truck broke down at 2 a.m. (since GSERS covers all vehicles). We had a bit of a snafu because GSERS sent the tow driver to the wrong area, but in the morning, they towed my car to the closest Nissan dealership on a Sunday.

Lori

2. wbc

wbc
    Expand Collapse

Hello all! Newbie here. We have Good Sam Road Service and we love it. They helped us when we had a dead battery. Sent a huge truck to our house for a jump for us. We are very happy with it. :D

3. ecker

ecker
    Expand Collapse

First, Good Sam and Good Sam Emergency Road Service are not the same. You must pay for both if you desire both services. Second, I joined Good Sam and FMCA as well as their respective road services. Third, I have used both. The FMCA Coach service is far the best IMO. Coach Net has a staff of technical representatives who try to get you back on road without waiting for a tow if possible. If they can't find a solution, they turn it over to the towing people who in my four experiences keep one informed as to when to expect the truck, where you'll be going and offer you alternatives if not happy with their choice, and service was a prompt as I think it could be given where I wa at. They cover your toad as well under same policy. In addition, if your at an FMCA sponsored rally/convention and become stuck in an off road parking space they'll still cover bill. My experience with GS ERS was that they sent under sized trucks on two occasions, couldn't find anyone to take the call,etc. As for branded, yes Coach Net is a company engaged in this type of work and answer phone for many companies including Ford, etc. That IMO doesn't lessen there attractiveness; it increases it. Finally, if your problem is with a Cummins Engine remember that Cummins provides 24/7 towing help via 800-769-3778 (1-800-POWER-RV) number. You can use them as well. They'll get you to nearest authorized service center, help diagnose the problem and manage the service event to keep you informed.

4. onename

onename
    Expand Collapse

I joined a few years ago and found them to be terrific, always fast friendly and efficent.

Must be bad luck for those who have had trouble

5. jefff929

jefff929
    Expand Collapse

Our AAA+ really let us down. Down the valley, without the tow truck that was supposed to be attached. Long story short, we no longer have AAA :angry: Don't even get me started on what happened after. It sucked bad, You couldn't pay me to use AAA.

6. J59T

J59T
    Expand Collapse

My theory on bad luck from the one post, is when it happens once, its just bad luck. When it happens the 2nd time, it's very poor customer service.

Funny thing now is about once a week, I get that stupid letter that I'm not covered anymore and I should renew now. I wasn't getting any coverage then, why pay for not getting coverage.

Service is much difference than just a battery. It's when you really are in trouble is when it makes or breaks the coverage.

7. gloriad

gloriad
    Expand Collapse

Just switched from AAA RV Plus to Good Sam because of cost. Good Sam was about 1/2 what AAA was. Never had a problem with AAA, but just got too expensive.

8. slowpez

slowpez
    Expand Collapse

We joined Good Sams Roadside Service in March when we purchased our TT. We have had to call them twice. The first time our hitch broke causing the trailer to fall onto the ball on our truck. It was late Sunday afternoon. We did have some trouble explaining to the lady on the phone exactly what a travel trailer was. It took an hour for someone to come help but come they did. Good Sams called four times during that period (via automated voice) to let us know the progress of the repair truck. They called back as soon as the truck arrived to make sure he was there. This past week we had a flat on our tow vehicle on I-75. It took less than 30 minutes for the tow truck to arrive and 15minutes later we were on our way. I can't fault them so far and we have certainly gotten our money back this year.

Susan

9. Galli

Galli
    Expand Collapse

I can only judge by my personal experience, in 4 years that I am a good Sam ERS member, I needed ASSISTANCE only twice and the service was super. I am not debating your statement since you might have been in the wrong place or dealing with wrong people, however, from my part, I would recommend the Goos Sam Service to any one with an RV. :)

10. RVman3252

RVman3252
    Expand Collapse

We have been a member of Good Sam ERS for 3 years, and have had to use them twice. Both were for tire blowouts, and both times they had a service / tow truck to us in less than a hour.

RVman

11. Larry Richardson

Larry Richardson
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(J59T @ May 23 2005, 07:21 PM) [snapback]2090[/snapback]

We pay right at 100.00 a year for the Good Sam Roadside Assistance and twice it has let us down. First time it left us stranded at the Arizona Welcome Rest Area when we were having problems with the axels on our 5th wheel. They couldn't find someone to come out on a holiday weekend. (like people don't RV on holiday weekends...) and I used our other vehicle to go the 20 miles back in to Gallup and was able to get the TA truck to come back to help us get back on the road.

Then this time was in Tennessee when the starter decided to die at the truck stop during a fuel stop. They again, couldn't find help for us, but I was able to get a tow truck there in 10 minutes and he was able to tow the F350 to the dealer in Jackson 40 minutes away and the Ford dealer (at 4:30 pm on a Friday) was able to get us back on the road by 6:00.

I have found that Good Sam is just not worth the value of their membership or their so called roadside assistance.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

12. TexasRee

TexasRee
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Larry Richardson @ Apr 30 2008, 04:11 PM) [snapback]11386[/snapback]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I had Good Sam ERS several years ago. As it turned out, I had a lemon motor home. Good Sam came and got me 8 times in 12 months. At one time, they did say that they would cancel the policy if it continued, saying that I was not doing proper maintenance. I never had a problem. I saw one of the bills that was over $600 and another over $400. They are in business to make money, and they surely cannot do it with customers like me!!

A year or so back, DH and I were walking one Sunday morning and when we got back to the coach, the door was locked. Neither of us had a key, cell phone or anything. Got to a pay phone and called AAA which DH swears by. Called them, they said they would have someone there within 30 minutes. After an hour, I called back, same story, someone would be there in 30 minutes. Same thing happened the 3rd call. Finally on the 4th call, I was told that the charge would be $200 and that is why they had not sent anyone out. DH said that they would pay it--right?? Oh no, they would only pay $100 of it. In the mean time, we found out that there was a locksmith living in the RV park---he came down and unlocked it for nothing. We had waited over 4 hours, in the heat, with the dog inside having a fit!

After that incident, I cancelled my AAA. Figured if they could not unlock a door for a customer that had been with them for 20 years or so, they surely would not help me if I needed it.

http://www.jerry-jurhee.blogspot.com/

13. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

AAA does get a little pi**ed if you make more than X calls in a certain time period. Back in the 80's, I kept having problems with my car, and kept needing it towed. After about four times in one month, AAA wrote me a nasty letter about having a "bad" car. They didn't threaten to cancel, they just "veiled" it.

I guess we pay premiums so they can extract money from us without having to do anything. We aren't supposed to pay premiums with the intent of recouping them back, no, no, no.

I still have AAA, but I found out my Progressive policy automatically includes the same services as AAA, so I guess I'm double paying.

JJ

14. TexasRee

TexasRee
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Jun 14 2008, 09:31 AM) [snapback]11849[/snapback]

AAA does get a little pi**ed if you make more than X calls in a certain time period. Back in the 80's, I kept having problems with my car, and kept needing it towed. After about four times in one month, AAA wrote me a nasty letter about having a "bad" car. They didn't threaten to cancel, they just "veiled" it.

I guess we pay premiums so they can extract money from us without having to do anything. We aren't supposed to pay premiums with the intent of recouping them back, no, no, no.

I still have AAA, but I found out my Progressive policy automatically includes the same services as AAA, so I guess I'm double paying.

JJ

But this was the first call to AAA in years!! It was not like we had been using the service. Hind sight, we could have called Progressive, but we had no phone number, policy number or anything like that.

15. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Jurhee @ Jun 14 2008, 02:32 PM) [snapback]11852[/snapback]

But this was the first call to AAA in years!! It was not like we had been using the service. Hind sight, we could have called Progressive, but we had no phone number, policy number or anything like that.

Well, then...... in my opinion, THEY owed you the COURTESY of calling you back to say, "sorry we can't come" instead of you having to call back and keep getting the same "party line."

But, expecting courtesy from companies these days? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

JJ

16. TexasRee

TexasRee
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Jun 14 2008, 06:47 PM) [snapback]11857[/snapback]

Well, then...... in my opinion, THEY owed you the COURTESY of calling you back to say, "sorry we can't come" instead of you having to call back and keep getting the same "party line."

But, expecting courtesy from companies these days? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

JJ

There was a problem with that---we were calling from a pay phone and they could not call back. I told them that in every call. Of course, the first call or two they said that we cannot send anyone out because we cannot call you back. DUH!!! If some of these people had a brain they would take it out and play with it. :rolleyes:

Updated June 15

17. teeracy2000

teeracy2000
    Expand Collapse

I have had AAA and I currently have Good Sam. AAA left me, stranded in the rain, in Mobile Alabama and never sent help. Luckily friends helped me out a couple of hours later. I said Adios to AAA after being a member for 12 years and signed up for Good Sam Emergency Roadside Assistance. I miss getting the free maps and event discounts that AAA had, but Good Sam has helped me out a few times.

I left my 5th wheel to go do laundry in the park in Tallahassee Florida and the door locked behind me. It was chilly out and I didn't have a hide a key on the rig. I called Good Sam from a number in their magazine that was in the laundrymat, and within 45 minutes I was back in my rig.

Most recently, in May,I had a blowout on my way across Louisiana or Mississippi somewhere along there. I called Good Sam and it took about 20 minutes for the dispatcher to answer. They finally got a tow truck out there to change my spare out for me, but I was stuck waiting for the tow truck for about 3 hours and I was not that far from a TA truckstop. Well, they did take care of me, so I guess for now I will keep them.

18. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I have been a member of CAA which is affiliated with AAA for 15 years now and they have come through every time for me. Got locked out twice, flat tire once, got stuck in an RV park of all places, and broke down due to water pump failure; CAA or AAA always had someone there to help out. My membership is called Premier RV Plus which allows a tow of the motorhome up to 300 KM (about 180 miles) which should cover me almost anywhere on the continent. Got the upgrade to Premier due to the long distances between service stations up in the Yukon and Northwest Territories. Whether AAA or Good Sam it still pays to have coverage.

19. BettyJ

BettyJ
    Expand Collapse

We've bought Camping World RoadCare for the past 3 years and have been satisfied with it. We've actually had to use it each year (sometimes more than once) and it has more than paid for the annual cost. They have always been courteous. In our case, help has arrived in what we considered a reasonable time, but of course, that depends on where you are and the circumstances. Anyway, I thought I'd throw their name in as a good alternative.

20. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

We just called for the first time using our RV Roadhelp membership. We were on the side of a busy interstate at the start of rush hour with a broken leaf spring, and we couldn't move the trailer (in fact, we were on a bridge and a couple of inches of the trailer was still sticking in the road). After 34 minutes of the lady on the other end putting me on hold, she said she couldn't find anyone to help us and for us to call 911. Now here it was approaching 4 PM the day before a holiday (July 4) and the emergency number for this membership I've been paying for the past 5 1/2 years is telling me they can't help me. I called the Camping World we had passed a few miles back, and asked who I should call. He got out there quicker than the original phone call and got our trailer back to CW.

They did give me a claim number, and I sent in the bill two Mondays ago. Calling their automated line states they have no record of any claims yet.

If they don't come through with reimbursement, I will be going with another.